Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles 2015 Offseason

Quote:My only point was that sort of flaw in your delivery can be overcome in college where receivers are wide open every play seemingly. That is not the case in the NFL.

This isn't some wild, hair-brained theory by me; this is what rookie QBs often talk about when discussing the differences between college and pros.
We agree. The windows are a lot smaller in the NFL.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:“He’s our franchise quarterback,” middle linebacker Paul Posluszny said, adding, “We know he’s going to be the guy who’s going to lead this organization. … Everything you want in a quarterback he has."

[url=http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Editorial/A-View-from-the-O-Zone-Bortles%E2][/url]

I think Tannehill provides a solid roadmap for what we should hope to see from Bortles in regards to progression.

They were both pretty raw coming out, each have some running skills, and their rookie seasons weren't too far off statically. If I remember right, Tannehill had a lot of the same mental problems Blake is said to be struggling with at the moment also.

Quote:I think Tannehill provides a solid roadmap for what we should hope to see from Bortles in regards to progression.

They were both pretty raw coming out, each have some running skills, and their rookie seasons weren't too far off statically. If I remember right, Tannehill had a lot of the same mental problems Blake is said to be struggling with at the moment also.

This is probably a pretty reasonable expectations of Blake. But still, if Blake's ceiling is Tannehill...then eh, he's probably a disappointment as a #3 pick. Then again, Tannehill isn't done improving.

Quote:This is probably a pretty reasonable expectations of Blake. But still, if Blake's ceiling is Tannehill...then eh, he's probably a disappointment as a #3 pick. Then again, Tannehill isn't done improving.
Over 4000 yds - 27 TDs and 12 picks in his third season. 

I think we'd all take that and not care if he was picked 3rd or 133rd. 

Quote:Over 4000 yds - 27 TDs and 12 picks in his third season. 

I think we'd all take that and not care if he was picked 3rd or 133rd. 

And consistently missed on deep throws all year and overall has been pretty inconsistent. 4000 yards is good, but it really shouldn't be used as a benchmark anymore. It used to be that only the elite 2-3 can hit that mark. Now, we have 11 who hit that mark (and a 12th who just missed it by 14 yards).

Quote:And consistently missed on deep throws all year and overall has been pretty inconsistent. 4000 yards is good, but it really shouldn't be used as a benchmark anymore. It used to be that only the elite 2-3 can hit that mark. Now, we have 11 who hit that mark (and a 12th who just missed it by 14 yards).

Right.  All true. 

I'm saying that most GMs (and fans)  are fine with spending a 3rd overall to get one of those top 12 QBs in the league.  

I would hope that Bortles deep throws would be better of course, I'm just saying they have similar backgrounds and came into similar situations.

Quote:Right.  All true. 

I'm saying that most GMs (and fans)  are fine with spending a 3rd overall to get one of those top 12 QBs in the league.  

I hope you're not making an assertion that Tannehill is actually a top 12 quarterback in this league.

Quote:I hope you're not making an assertion that Tannehill is actually a top 12 quarterback in this league.

Only stat-wise - in yards per game & completion percentage.  I've watched exactly two phins games this season, so I don't really have much of an opinion on him.  He's good enough to get you to the playoffs  -with the right pieces around him - IMO.  But he's not gonna put the team on his back very often. 

I think we can all see that if Bortles progresses at a similar pace to Tannehill -he has greater potential upside than the guy in Miami - and that's the underlying point here.  

Quote:This is probably a pretty reasonable expectations of Blake. But still, if Blake's ceiling is Tannehill...then eh, he's probably a disappointment as a #3 pick. Then again, Tannehill isn't done improving.

I think quarterback is a unique position too where you see guys like Rivers, Rodgers and Roethlisberger getting better going into their 8th, 9th years. I think Tannehill is better than he gets credit for and that he is held back some by a bad organization.

;

;

And the Dolphins made a OC change last offseason and it seemed to help him also.

;

;

Quote:And consistently missed on deep throws all year and overall has been pretty inconsistent. 4000 yards is good, but it really shouldn't be used as a benchmark anymore. It used to be that only the elite 2-3 can hit that mark. Now, we have 11 who hit that mark (and a 12th who just missed it by 14 yards).
All those numbers would be franchise records. The norm or not the jags passing offense needs to get into the modern age.

It's exactly the benchmark. I'd be great for Blake to take that next step while still needing improvement.

Quote:NFL is just stupid. Coaches and players can't work together in the offseason ? <_<

Quote:Agreed. That rule is ridiculous.  

I suspect that this rule probably comes from the CBA between the players and the league.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I suspect that this rule probably comes from the CBA between the players and the league.

Definitely.  The fact that the league and players union couldn't work out something a little less preposterous is silly though. 

Quote:Definitely.  The fact that the league and players union couldn't work out something a little less preposterous is silly though. 

I somewhat agree with you.  I just took a glance at the current CBA.  In it practices, workouts, off-season, etc. is discussed.  I think the idea of the rule is to keep teams from "suggesting" that a player or players might want to do a bit of extra work.  That basically constitutes a "practice" other than what is outlined.

Remember, the NFL is a business.  Players don't play or practice for free.  Extra "practice" or workouts not outlined in the CBA constitutes a player or players "working for free".  The rule also keeps one team from having an advantage over other teams by having extra "practices".

Now one thing that I noticed is that it talks about team facilities a lot.  I could be wrong about this and I'm just speculating here, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with a player and a coach "meeting up" at a local park for example, on their own time to do some extra work.  Another example could be perhaps a QB and the WR's decide to "meet up" somewhere and throw some balls around to maybe work on timing.

One other thing to keep in mind.  Players don't necessarily live in the city/state in which they play year round.  For example, I do know that Keenan McCardell used to go home to Houston during the off-season, Jones-Drew would go home to California and Brad Meester would go back to Missouri.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I think quarterback is a unique position too where you see guys like Rivers, Rodgers and Roethlisberger getting better going into their 8th, 9th years. I think Tannehill is better than he gets credit for and that he is held back some by a bad organization.
He's also super young and still improving.

Tannehill is a great comparison. Look what a good OC did for him?

Quote:I somewhat agree with you.  I just took a glance at the current CBA.  In it practices, workouts, off-season, etc. is discussed.  I think the idea of the rule is to keep teams from "suggesting" that a player or players might want to do a bit of extra work.  That basically constitutes a "practice" other than what is outlined.

Remember, the NFL is a business.  Players don't play or practice for free.  Extra "practice" or workouts not outlined in the CBA constitutes a player or players "working for free".  The rule also keeps one team from having an advantage over other teams by having extra "practices".

Now one thing that I noticed is that it talks about team facilities a lot.  I could be wrong about this and I'm just speculating here, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with a player and a coach "meeting up" at a local park for example, on their own time to do some extra work.  Another example could be perhaps a QB and the WR's decide to "meet up" somewhere and throw some balls around to maybe work on timing.

One other thing to keep in mind.  Players don't necessarily live in the city/state in which they play year round.  For example, I do know that Keenan McCardell used to go home to Houston during the off-season, Jones-Drew would go home to California and Brad Meester would go back to Missouri.
I don't believe players are blocked from working out independently of the team.  Bortles could (and probably will) work with his receivers this off season in a non-supervised environment just to work on timing and chemistry. 

I know Peyton Manning has done this in the past, as have other QBs around the league. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I don't believe players are blocked from working out independently of the team.  Bortles could (and probably will) work with his receivers this off season in a non-supervised environment just to work on timing and chemistry. 

I know Peyton Manning has done this in the past, as have other QBs around the league. 

I believe the bold part above is key.  I don't know if coaches can "legally" participate in such a session.

Quote:I somewhat agree with you.  I just took a glance at the current CBA.  In it practices, workouts, off-season, etc. is discussed.  I think the idea of the rule is to keep teams from "suggesting" that a player or players might want to do a bit of extra work.  That basically constitutes a "practice" other than what is outlined.

I don't think coaches are allowed those casual sessions you suggest and I believe they should be allowed - at least for first and second year players.

Players often meet and drill.  Blake stated today that he intends to do that. 

Decent read on topic:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/12/nfl-coache...ilability/