Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
By at least one measure...

the 2014 draft class was the best in team history.

In terms of first year productivity, this team out performed every other draft class in team history.

Every single pick got playing time.  Every single pick produced  While the OL isn't noted for statistical output, every other position represented had measurable statistical output.  2005 was a year where everyone played, but some only produced at a token level.

Bortles  280  475  2908  11  17  59.8%

Lee   37   422   1 TD

Robinson  48  548  2 TDs

Linder  15 starts

Colvin  Played 6 games, started 1, had at least 2 PD and a fumble return for a TD

Telvin Smith-Nuff said

Chris Smith-played in 7 games, notched 3 sacks

Bowanko- played in all 16 games

Storm Johnson-29 carries, 86 yards, 2 TDs.

No other Jaguars draft class can make this claim.

In 1995, DT Mike Thompson played one game but did not post any stats. Ditto for Chris Hudson.  OT Marcus Price did not play.

1996 WRs Chris Doering, Clarence Jones or Gregory Spann did not play for the Jaguars, and neither did DB John Fisher.

1997 LB Jon Hesse did not play for the Jaguars.

1998  Harry Deligianis did not play.

1999  Anthony Cesario and Dee Moronkola DNP.

2000  T Joey Chuszt DNP

2001  P David Leaverton and G Chad Ward DNP

2002  DT Clenton Ballard and WR K. Newson DNP

2003 DB David Young and T Marqes Ogden DNP

2004 DPR Jorge Cordova and T Sean Bubin DNP

2005  DB Chris Roberson produced 1 tackle.

2006  DE James Wyche produced 1 tackle

2007  OL Andrew Carnahan and DE Brian Smith DNP

2008 DB Trae Williams DNP

2009 WR Tiquan Underwood posted no stats

2010  DB Scotty mcGee -posted no stats

2011  DB Rod Isaac-posted no stats

2012 DT Jeris Pendleton posted 1 tackle.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree...I just hesitate to make that determination until we see how they play next year.

At the end of last season we were all hyped about Joeckel, Cyp and Gratz and they turned into duds.

Time will tell.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 12:02 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:I agree...I just hesitate to make that determination until we see how they play next year.

At the end of last season we were all hyped about Joeckel, Cyp and Gratz and they turned into duds.

Time will tell.
I was very careful how I phrased this.

I did not say this was the best draft class ever by the team.

Just based upon first season statistical productivity from top to bottom, this is the best draft class.

Any draft that produces a HOF caliber player (1995 Boselli) two good to great players, two Pro Bowlers and three defensive starters (1996 Hardy, Brackens, Beasley)(1998 Taylor and Darius) have to be considered among the best.

Quote:I was very careful how I phrased this.

I did not say this was the best draft class ever by the team.

Just based upon first season statistical productivity from top to bottom, this is the best draft class.

Any draft that produces a HOF caliber player (1995 Boselli) two good to great players, two Pro Bowlers and three defensive starters (1996 Hardy, Brackens, Beasley)(1998 Taylor and Darius) have to be considered among the best.
Yep, I'm totally on board with how you're looking at it now.  And trust me, I hope your speculation is proven correct!

Caldwell has done a nice job. Just need to keep letting the young guys develop and come together as team and allow him to keep on adding talent in the right places to set-up Bortles to be succesful as our franchise QB. I think Bradley will continue to shore up this defense.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The 2014 draft is looking very good right now.

The 2013 draft has lost a lot of luster.

If Bortles pans out the draft will be grade A+. If he doesn't it would still be a good productive draft, but whiffing on a #3 overall selection is always a problem.

I agree it was a good draft. So far I have been impressed by Caldwell and crew. I can't wait to see what they do with their third draft.

Quote:the 2014 draft class was the best in team history.

In terms of first year productivity, this team out performed every other draft class in team history.

Every single pick got playing time.  Every single pick produced  While the OL isn't noted for statistical output, every other position represented had measurable statistical output.  2005 was a year where everyone played, but some only produced at a token level.

Bortles  280  475  2908  11  17  59.8%

Lee   37   422   1 TD

Robinson  48  548  2 TDs

Linder  15 starts

Colvin  Played 6 games, started 1, had at least 2 PD and a fumble return for a TD

Telvin Smith-Nuff said

Chris Smith-played in 7 games, notched 3 sacks

Bowanko- played in all 16 games

Storm Johnson-29 carries, 86 yards, 2 TDs.

No other Jaguars draft class can make this claim.

Eh...

I think this rookie class was just pressed into duty. Yeah they "produced" but who is going to if not them? Given the roster is filled with terrible players and really no established veterans in front of them? I'm still in wait and see mode before I crown them.

Personally, I still rank them behind 2009 (Monroe, Britton, Potroast, Cox, Thomas), 2004 (Reggie, Daryl, Greg, Wilford, Scobee, McCray), 2003 (Byron, Mathis, Manuwai, Wrightster, Toefield), 96 (Hardy, Brackens, Cheever, Beasley, Barlow).

They are a good class with promise though, but I don't think they are as good as previous classes despite whatever numbers they posted in what is essentially...a garbage year.

Give me the 1998 draft class. Imagine if Tavian Banks hadn't destroyed his knee. I think we would have won the superbowl in 1999. The Titans had no one to cover him out of the back field.

sigh

. Sad to have to go back in the way back machine.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 12:41 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Eh...

I think this rookie class was just pressed into duty. Yeah they "produced" but who is going to if not them? Given the roster is filled with terrible players and really no established veterans in front of them? I'm still in wait and see mode before I crown them.

Personally, I still rank them behind 2009 (Monroe, Britton, Potroast, Cox, Thomas), 2004 (Reggie, Daryl, Greg, Wilford, Scobee, McCray), 2003 (Byron, Mathis, Manuwai, Wrightster, Toefield), 96 (Hardy, Brackens, Cheever, Beasley, Barlow).

They are a good class with promise though, but I don't think they are as good as previous classes despite whatever numbers they posted in what is essentially...a garbage year.

I think you highly overrate that 2009 class, but you have a valid point about them being pressed into duty early.  That said, the 1995 expansion team was devoid of talent, but not every pick in 1995 had impact.

2008 best year, Derrick Harvey DE MVP...

lol

Funny thing about Harvey draft is getting nothing for selling the farm for one player. Falcons got wins and some excitement from Julio sell out. Buffalo got some excitement this year. You know what? It doesn't work out well. Atlanta sure could use the extra picks now. Buffalo is going to pay hard for the trade.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Funny thing about Harvey draft is getting nothing for selling the farm for one player. Falcons got wins and some excitement from Julio sell out. Buffalo got some excitement this year. You know what? It doesn't work out well. Atlanta sure could use the extra picks now. Buffalo is going to pay hard for the trade.

They both traded future first rounders. The Jaguars gave up two third rounders. Not exactly the same.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/te.../draft.htm   A good link to help you figure it out....

yes it was a good draft and if all these players end up starting the next 3 years. will we be able to keep them seeing as how they will all have the same contract year? if they all turn out to be very good we might not be able to resign them all at same time maybe give some new contracts sooner.

Fred Taylor had more yards from scrimmage then all 3 of our rookie receivers combined and had more rushing touchdowns than Blake bortles has passing touchdownsnot to mention Donovan Darius was named to the All Rookie teamKevin Hart in tony Brackins weren't bad either I'm pleased with the development of our ROokie class and it does have depth about the production of our Ricky class is due in large part to the plan of the front office not that we have so many guys playing at a dominant level demanding playing time

Quote:I think you highly overrate that 2009 class, but you have a valid point about them being pressed into duty early.  That said, the 1995 expansion team was devoid of talent, but not every pick in 1995 had impact.

Keep in mind that when I talk of 2009 class, I speak merely from that year alone (and not what we know now). Monroe as a rookie was better than even Luke this year. I think even Britton was (though its close). Potroast was good (hard to quantify his position with stats, but 30+ tackles for a space eater is pretty good. Compare that to Marks this season with 34 tackles), and Cox finished with 4 INTs. Mike Thomas also posted comparable numbers to Robinson/Lee.

Quote:Keep in mind that when I talk of 2009 class, I speak merely from that year alone (and not what we know now). Monroe as a rookie was better than even Luke this year. I think even Britton was (though its close). Potroast was good (hard to quantify his position with stats, but 30+ tackles for a space eater is pretty good. Compare that to Marks this season with 34 tackles), and Cox finished with 4 INTs. Mike Thomas also posted comparable numbers to Robinson/Lee.

I don't know about that.

Monroe was pretty bad his rookie year.  I've never been a huge fan of his.

Potroast was good, I'll give you that.  Cox was decent his rookie year, too.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:I don't know about that.

Monroe was pretty bad his rookie year.  I've never been a huge fan of his.

Potroast was good, I'll give you that.  Cox was decent his rookie year, too.

Eugene struggled early on, but he was starting to figure things out later in the season. I also say that because, while Monroe struggled with speedy rushers (Mathis/Freeney) he usually held his own against bigger ends. Luke gets pushed back by stronger ends and a revolving door against speedy rushers. Perhaps its also a scheme fit, but how many times have we seen Luke completely whiff on cut blocks on the run game? Monroe was at least really good run blocking.

Overall, I just think Eugene was better. Not that he was good his rookie year, but he at least showed enough even his rookie year to think that he had a chance. Right now, I think Luke is pretty huge question mark next season.

Really, for most of his career here, Eugene was a good run blocker (if not really good at times), a solid to good against bigger ends (with a few dominant games here and there), and struggles against small/quick rushers.

interesting stats bullseye...

I wish we had interesting stats in the one area that actually mattered.. the win/loss column.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...