Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The problem with firing an offensive coordinator

I'm not saying I am or am not in favor of firing Fisch, but one thing has to be said, and that is, if they fire Fisch, and hire a new OC, under NFL rules for the offseason, the new coordinator cannot talk to Bortles until mid-April.   Players are not allowed to talk to coaches in the offseason until mid-April. 

That means there would be 3-1/2 months when Bortles will be without a playbook or an offensive system to study and learn. 

Bortles badly needs to study and master the playbook and the system right now.   Do we want to leave him without one until mid-April?    

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bortles can master Jedds playbook before lunch tomorrow.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 11:29 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Bortles needs to spend this time focusing on his mechanics..screw the playbook. No progress would be lost if Fish gets his pink slip.

Fisch isnt going anywhere, this regime is sticking to whatever plan they have and letting Fisch go alters that.  I know lots of people want him gone but like you said, Bortles would have to learn a whole no system to go along with getting those mechanics in check.  Not sure why anyone would want that right now.

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Baltimore hired a new OC midseason and won a superbowl.

I can see both sides.  I just don't think this playbook is worth mastering.

Quote:Fisch isnt going anywhere, this regime is sticking to whatever plan they have and letting Fisch go alters that.  I know lots of people want him gone but like you said, Bortles would have to learn a whole no system to go along with getting those mechanics in check.  Not sure why anyone would want that right now.

They want a quick fix. But it's not so simple.

Quote:I'm not saying I am or am not in favor of firing Fisch, but one thing has to be said, and that is, if they fire Fisch, and hire a new OC, under NFL rules for the offseason, the new coordinator cannot talk to Bortles until mid-April.   Players are not allowed to talk to coaches in the offseason until mid-April. 

That means there would be 3-1/2 months when Bortles will be without a playbook or an offensive system to study and learn. 

Bortles badly needs to study and master the playbook and the system right now.   Do we want to leave him without one until mid-April?    

im sure there are ways that the guys will get the playbook. i wouldnt worry. they will still have 5 months to learn it.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

The problem with sticking with the wrong guys...you never make the playoffs or Super Bowl.

Yeah. A new offensive coordinator really hurt Ryan Tannehill this year, right??

Quote:Baltimore hired a new OC midseason and won a superbowl.

I can see both sides. I just don't think this playbook is worth mastering.
Flacco wasn't a second year QB when they made that change. Bad comparison IMO.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 11:31 AM by badger.)

Quote:Flacco wasn't a second year QB when they made that change. Bad comparison IMO.

It would be a bad comparison if I also was suggesting we hire a new OC midseason too.  Im not; Im suggesting we hire a new one and we still have a whole offseason ahead of us.

So if a team of veterans can work with a new OC in a matter of weeks.  Our young players can make it work with an offseason of practices ahead.

Quote:It would be a bad comparison if I also was suggesting we hire a new OC midseason too. Im not; Im suggesting we hire a new one and we still have a whole offseason ahead of us.

So if a team of veterans can work with a new OC in a matter of weeks. Our young players can make it work with an offseason of practices ahead.
And when Blake struggles next season because he spent a single offseason learning a new playbook do we fire him too? When does it end?
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 11:35 AM by JAGFAN88.)

An Experienced NFL OC could work a new system in and make it plyable for next season then grow it. ITs not the playbook as much as it is the Experience calling a game and game planing against different NFL defenses. That is where Fisch is lacking i do think he has a bad playbook he just doesnt know how to use it. I think he would do good in SanFran with a running QB like Kap. his offense is better suited to that type of offense style. We need a offense for a big stand tall in pocket QB with mobility.

Quote:And when Blake struggles next season because he spent a single offseason learning a new playbook do we fire him too? When does it end?

Or maybe he doesn't struggle?

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 11:37 AM by badger.)

Quote:And when Blake struggles next season because he spent a single offseason learning a new playbook do we fire him too? When does it end?

not every second of every day needs to be spent on "learning a playbook".  he would still have plenty of time to work on his game.  teams regularly change offenses all the time.  you are making it seem like a bigger issue than it actually is.  It's still football. The concepts are mostly the same.  routes are routes.  blocking schemes are blocking schemes.  it's just a matter of having a good offensive coach who knows how to guide our players .

Quote:Bortles can master Jedds playbook before lunch tomorrow.

You sure about that? Took lee half the year
"Get Better Everyday"

Quote:Or maybe he doesn't struggle?
If you can find evidence of a QB who found success in his second year after firing his rookie OC I would love to see it.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 11:46 AM by badger.)

it ends when our offense is not in the bottom 3

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM by CSO14.)

Sorry, a change must be made.  It's obvious to us fans, and I'm sure the NFL world, he is not the right guy for the job.  Get him out of here, and find the right guy, so Bortles can be going in the right direction.  If he's not gone now, we are only delaying the inevitable. 

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

You guys have a good point, we should stick with what we have for the mere sake of not inducing any change.  We don't want to rock the boat at all.  4-12 & 3-13 have been promising.  2-14 next year will be fantastic.  :thumbsup: