Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The problem with firing an offensive coordinator

The whole sticking with it even when it's going bad is akin to sitting in your house while its on fire hoping it will just stop, because it's convenient to stay in bed instead of trying to extinguish it. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Couldn't agree more about this post.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

If Fisch isnt fired by the end of business today, I dont see him getting fired. But he needs to be. He is horrible at play calling and developing.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:If Fisch isnt fired by the end of business today, I dont see him getting fired. But he needs to be. He is horrible at play calling and developing.

Bradley and Caldwell meet with the media tomorrow. There are zero indications that anybody is being let go. The only possible change would be a new o-line coach if Yarno is not able to return.

This is Bradley's coaching staff. He is going to live with them, and die with them.

;

;

Quote:I'm not saying I am or am not in favor of firing Fisch, but one thing has to be said, and that is, if they fire Fisch, and hire a new OC, under NFL rules for the offseason, the new coordinator cannot talk to Bortles until mid-April.   Players are not allowed to talk to coaches in the offseason until mid-April. 

That means there would be 3-1/2 months when Bortles will be without a playbook or an offensive system to study and learn. 

Bortles badly needs to study and master the playbook and the system right now.   Do we want to leave him without one until mid-April?    
That is precisely the problem with sacking an OC, especially with a team like the Jags with so much youth on it. Among the other issues gabbert had, he had three different coaches while here. The result was he never really mastered any of the offensive play books. We wouldn't want to do that to BB2.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Quote:That is precisely the problem with sacking an OC, especially with a team like the Jags with so much youth on it. Among the other issues gabbert had, he had three different coaches while here. The result was he never really mastered any of the offensive play books. We wouldn't want to do that to BB2.
And by not sacking the OC we keep someone who has not clue and i mean completely clueless how to run and offense during a game. If you keep fisch you better hire and expert to teach him how to football in the NFL cause even if the recievers get better and the line gets better and BB5 gets better we are still going to lose because of how the game is called on the field by the OC.

Quote:That is precisely the problem with sacking an OC, especially with a team like the Jags with so much youth on it. Among the other issues gabbert had, he had three different coaches while here. The result was he never really mastered any of the offensive play books. We wouldn't want to do that to BB2.

I understand that. But everyone has to understand that while no changes will be made to OC, neither will any changes be made in QB play and play calling. We are going to continue to throw latterally and not horizontally.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

I think Trestman and Roman would both be improvements that could help Blake progress.

Quote:I'm not saying I am or am not in favor of firing Fisch, but one thing has to be said, and that is, if they fire Fisch, and hire a new OC, under NFL rules for the offseason, the new coordinator cannot talk to Bortles until mid-April.   Players are not allowed to talk to coaches in the offseason until mid-April. 

That means there would be 3-1/2 months when Bortles will be without a playbook or an offensive system to study and learn. 

Bortles badly needs to study and master the playbook and the system right now.   Do we want to leave him without one until mid-April?    
bit late into posting this, but i think he's going to spend more time working on fundamentals than the playbook.  He knows that his fundamentals went to [BLEEP] after being sacked 70 times, so I bet he wakes up, grabs the football and does 3 and 5 step drops 20 times before leaving the bedroom ololol

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Things have been really quiet over there today.  I hope they announce some change, but I'm not counting on it now.  The only thing I'm thinking is that maybe they are not in a rush to do this.  Maybe they are waiting to see who hits the market or they want to try to lure someone off of a playoff team's staff.  All I know is that something needs to change.

Firing Fisch and hiring a new OC wouldn't hurt at all. We are already at the bottom of the barrel in offensive efficiency, two years in a row now. Coordinators are hired and fired around the league and many have immediate impacts on their offenses. To believe that after two years of absolute garbage on offense the playcalling is going to suddenly turn it around next year with Fisch is an extreme stretch. I don't expect the Jags to fire him, but it would be the right move.

Yeah but a lot of the times when a new O coord goes to a new team, that team doesn't have half of it's offense made up of rookies..........................

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 09:13 PM by The_Anchorman.)

What's to be said that hasn't been said before.  I think we all know where everyone stands.  The line has been drawn.  Let's try to be civil and not take it out on eachother.

With that said...  We're 31st in TDs when in the red zone.  I've mentioned this yesterday, but I think it's important to let that sink in.  The red zone, where scheme and playcalling is as important as players and execution.  We are 31st in the percentage of times we make it into the endzone.  There's only 1 sucky team worse at scoring in the red zone than we are.  There's something to be said about that.  

Basically, even when we manage to get within the 20, meaning that we got something going enough to get that far, we can't punch it in.  I think red zone offense is heavy on coaching.  More so than before getting into the end zone.  And we are 30th in the league.  

Yes our o-line stinks and our players are/were rookies.  That can account for the problems from our 1 yard line to the opponent's 21 yard line.  But once we managed to get into the red zone, that's when coaching really kicks in, in my belief.  And guess what, we don't have the staff that can get us over that hump.

Oh and FYI, this is not Fish's rookie coaching season.  He was our OC last year as well.  

2014 Redzone TD % =  40.6

2013 Redzone TD % =  43.9

So what was our excuse last year?  Henne/Gabbert?  Or is it possible that this OC doesn't have the chops to get us where we want to go?

It's just not good enough

Quote:Baltimore hired a new OC midseason and won a superbowl.

I can see both sides.  I just don't think this playbook is worth mastering.

Jim Caldwell was also the team's QB coach when he was promoted to OC.

Quote:Fisch isnt going anywhere, this regime is sticking to whatever plan they have and letting Fisch go alters that.  I know lots of people want him gone but like you said, Bortles would have to learn a whole no system to go along with getting those mechanics in check.  Not sure why anyone would want that right now.

Quote:And when Blake struggles next season because he spent a single offseason learning a new playbook do we fire him too? When does it end?

Quote: Fisch dumbed down his playbook significantly for the rookies.   He had to.  They struggle executing simple stuff. 

Besides, what good is a playbook when your players execute a quick slant properly 1 out of 5 times?  

There must have been 7 instances this season when Gus or Fisch talked about things they'd like to be able to do offensively, but "they aren't there yet." 

You folks that want to ignore the O-Line struggles and number of young starters are ignoring the elephant in the room. 

Quote:I don't know why people waste their time talking about this. Fisch isn't going anywhere next season.

Looks like you guys are on the other side of the fence.  Dave Caldwell agrees with us folks who wanted a change.

Quote:Baltimore hired a new OC midseason and won a superbowl.

I can see both sides.  I just don't think this playbook is worth mastering.
Right now in Bortles career, I think a move like that would set him back. Flacco was more veteran at the time of that move and understood the game better. Right now consistency and normalcy are his best friends. Altering that at this point of his career would basically be a kiss of death to him. Now once he hits that 4-6 year mark make a change then. But not right now. 

*I typed that, then went to the site and read that we have parted ways with him lol* 

Oh man well I hope Caldwell knows what he is doing. This is a move I don't really agree with but I will support it and hope for the best. 

*slightly jumps for joy* 

Quote:Right now in Bortles career, I think a move like that would set him back. Flacco was more veteran at the time of that move and understood the game better. Right now consistency and normalcy are his best friends. Altering that at this point of his career would basically be a kiss of death to him. Now once he hits that 4-6 year mark make a change then. But not right now. 

I think you missed the point.  Im not suggesting Bortles would be ok mid season, but having an entire training camp under a new experienced offensive coach will HELP, not hurt.  Fisch was not up to par for this job.

Quote:I think you missed the point. Im not suggesting Bortles would be ok mid season, but having an entire training camp under a new experienced offensive coach will HELP, not hurt. Fisch was not up to par for this job.

Well I guess Caldwell is thinking the same. I'm not quite on board with the move but I'll wait and see how it plays out.

Good riddance