Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why do people want a rookie OT with the first pick?

Management really has not earned our trust to evaluate OT's (ie. Joeckel)- what makes you think they aren't going to screw it up again? Second, a ton of recent rookie OTs have struggled out of the gate as evidenced by the last 3 draft classes.

Lets get some vets who can step right in and play at a level we can at least count on. Even if they aren't superstars, a bit of consistency will greatly improve the timing of our offense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Management really has not earned our trust to evaluate OT's (ie. Joeckel)- what makes you think they aren't going to screw it up again? Second, a ton of recent rookie OTs have struggled out of the gate as evidenced by the last 3 draft classes.

Lets get some vets who can step right in and play at a level we can at least count on. Even if they aren't superstars, a bit of consistency will greatly improve the timing of our offense.

Why do morons have to start a whole new thread for every stupid question that crosses their mind?

Who wants an OT with first pick?

Quote:Why do morons have to start a whole new thread for every stupid question that crosses their mind?
Go play with your anime girls lol

I actually think the genuine consensus on this board is that we don't want oline first round which makes this topic strange?

Address oline in FA go elsewhere in the first maybe 2nd or 3rd if there's one hole we can't fill in fa

I've said it in the college football forum - the offence needs some veteran presence. It does not need to get any younger. I like building through the draft, but this is a special situation; we're talking about an historically inexperienced offence here. Turn to free agency. Use the draft to get younger on defence.

Quote:Who wants an OT with first pick?
The majority of this board...

why because they ppl wanting a OT in the first round dont football and want losing to continue

Because the OL is a mess, and if the player on top of the draft board when we pick is a tackle, then we should take the tackle. Joeckel's failure to date makes it an even bigger priority. For the record, I'd rather we go DE, but I wouldn't complain if a tackle was the pick.

Are we supposed to still buy the notion that all LJ needs in the off season is an NFL workout routine?

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM by Jax Jag.)

Management hasn't earned the trust from who? You, me, and the rest of the fans? The management who drafted Linder and Bowanko? Traded Eugene for Colvin? Joeckel isn't very good right now but I'm not giving up on him even if they had to flip him the the right side. Are we upset that we didn't get Eric Fisher or maybe Dion Jordan? Truth is, Bortles gives up a lot of sacks. We will be fine, and having a first round linemen wouldn't be the worst thing. But our O-line is a mess

Quote:Management really has not earned our trust to evaluate OT's (ie. Joeckel)- what makes you think they aren't going to screw it up again? Second, a ton of recent rookie OTs have struggled out of the gate as evidenced by the last 3 draft classes.

Let's break down this OP.

First, you say the FO cannot evaluate ot's and not to trust them.

Then you contradict yourself by saying that a ton of rookie ot's have struggled.

Then you ask the same FO who cannot evaluate ot's in the draft sign one in free agency.

If you break it down that way, do you see how utterly stupid you sound? If you don't see it, don't worry. We do.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Let's break down this OP.

First, you say the FO cannot evaluate ot's and not to trust them.

Then you contradict yourself by saying that a ton of rookie ot's have struggled.

Then you ask the same FO who cannot evaluate ot's in the draft sign one in free agency.

If you break it down that way, do you see how utterly stupid you sound? If you don't see it, don't worry. We do.

If you think evaluating veteran OTs and evaluating draft eligible OTs are the same scouting departments, much less the same process, I'd have to say stupid is as stupid does.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 05:37 PM by Dakota.)

Quote:If you think evaluating veteran OTs and evaluating draft eligible OTs are the same scouting departments, much less the same process, I'd have to say stupid is as stupid does.
Which at best covers about half of what I referenced. I noticed that you glossed right over the fact that you said they botched the OT pick but most of all the OT draft picks have struggled.

Let's keep some perspective here. I'm just some yahoo with a keyboard. You're the expert who professes to have this all figured out.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:If you think evaluating veteran OTs and evaluating draft eligible OTs are the same scouting departments, much less the same process, I'd have to say stupid is as stupid does.

Dude, Dave Caldwell is our GENERAL MANAGER. It's not the same process, but all roads lead to Caldwell. He assigns contracts and selects amateur players

If we take another LT in the draft, we have to wait for him to develop.  Again.  I say find one in FA if that's what they want to do.  I don't see them doing it yet.

Agreed with giter. Offense needs way more veteran presence and experience, and way more competition along the offensive line. RT is a desperate need. I hope Joeckels struggles are just youth and inexperience.

Our defense is actually already really young. The secondary could use more veterans, while the d-line could use some more youth... hopefully a potentially elite LEO

No commercial messages in sigs

Mike Iupati should be available since SF is financially maxed out. He would help.

I really think they did not have a choice to pick Joeckel because no one would trade with them.  Last years draft was really bad, and their hands were tied.  Joekel and Cyp are pretty bad picks if we evaluate them after two seasons.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Because the OL is a mess, and if the player on top of the draft board when we pick is a tackle, then we should take the tackle. Joeckel's failure to date makes it an even bigger priority. For the record, I'd rather we go DE, but I wouldn't complain if a tackle was the pick.
This.  We need a DE bad, and if we can't get the guy we want, I would not be upset if they picked someone for the line.  The Cowboys have done it the last few drafts, and everyone thought they were crazy.  Now look at them.  They are running all over people, and it's made them one of the best offenses in the NFL.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]