Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why do people want a rookie OT with the first pick?

2013 was a historically bad draft. Sucks that THAT draft had to kick off the build.

No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Mike Iupati should be available since SF is financially maxed out. He would help.

Khan needs to get this done.

I think you're better off getting 3 lineman in the mid rounds than 1 guy at the top of the draft only.

None of these highly drafted lineman are doing anything special.  I'll take my chances with the Linders and Bowanko's of this world.  We just need 6-7 of them and make a unit out of them.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I think you're better off getting 3 lineman in the mid rounds than 1 guy at the top of the draft only.

None of these highly drafted lineman are doing anything special.  I'll take my chances with the Linders and Bowanko's of this world.  We just need 6-7 of them and make a unit out of them.

You might think that but the odds are against us. take a look at this plot by PFF prior to the year starting. Historically, the only OT/OL with positive grades were drafted in Rounds 1/2, but the recent stuggles of highly drafted OT (see Joekel/Fisher/Kalil/Matthews) make me cautious to a high OL choice.

https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna-ssl....rected.png

Quote:You might think that but the odds are against us. take a look at this plot by PFF prior to the year starting. Historically, the only OT/OL with positive grades were drafted in Rounds 1/2, but the recent stuggles of highly drafted OT (see Joekel/Fisher/Kalil/Matthews) make me cautious to a high OL choice.

https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna-ssl....rected.png

I'm not against drafting a tackle in round 1 or 2...

I am against drafting one #2 overall.

I think drafting an OT in the top 5 is just crazy, but oh well.

If you're sitting at 15 and you really love a lineman, go for it.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Just because the OT in the top of the draft the last two seasons have not turned into Pro Bowler within their first two seasons does not mean you give up on drafting that guy. We have to face JJ Watt and Jadaveon Clowney for a long time.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Quote:Just because the OT in the top of the draft the last two seasons have not turned into Pro Bowler within their first two seasons does not mean you give up on drafting that guy. We have to face JJ Watt and Jadaveon Clowney for a long time.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Yes, and Watt moves around the entire defensive line and lines up on whoever he feels like.

Having a stud LT is pointless if you have holes in other spots.

Like I said, give me guys like Linder and we'll be alright.  

Just have 5 average guys, they'll get the job done.

So would you rather have Watt and Clowney lined up on one side or both sides of the line? If they ain't getting to the QB from the right side because of a Tony Boselli on the left side then you've forced your deamon to attack from only one side.

Regards........................the Chiefjag

Quote:So would you rather have Watt and Clowney lined up on one side or both sides of the line? If they ain't getting to the QB from the right side because of a Tony Boselli on the left side then you've forced your deamon to attack from only one side.

Regards........................the Chiefjag

my goal is to assemble 5 solid linemen.  You can do that with mid round picks mostly.  

Top 3 drafted OTs dont win Super Bowls.

Joeckel whiffed, got totally used by Watt on two consecutive plays. Joeckel is not a first round talent. Awful day to end a pretty subpar season.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:my goal is to assemble 5 solid linemen.  You can do that with mid round picks mostly.  

What good LTs were drafted in the mid rounds? Other positions sure, but good LTs are almost exclusively 1st and 2nd round picks. 

Cowboys:

LT-- 1st round Draft (9th overall);  4 years in NFL

LG--undrafted free agent;  2 years in NFL

C--1st round (31st overall).  Cowboys traded back from 18 to 31 with the 49ers and picked up a 3rd rounder; 2 years in NFL

RG--1st round (16th overall).  Selected instead of Manziel as many had speculated. Rookie

RT--4th round.  The oldest O-lineman for the 'boys...  An 8 year vet.

When you get eight or nine yards on first down, you should be able to get a first down, this line is terrible. This team is so bad. Caldwell has not done a good job, the best thing he has going for him is his predecessors were inept.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:I've said it in the college football forum - the offence needs some veteran presence. It does not need to get any younger. I like building through the draft, but this is a special situation; we're talking about an historically inexperienced offence here. Turn to free agency. Use the draft to get younger on defence.

Though the offense needs veteran presence...yes, more so it needs GOOD players. Yes, the OL is young...but other than Luke (who has struggled), it is young AND not highly regarded. That's not to say that good players can't come from low end of the draft. But for the most part, we have a 3rd rounder in Linder (who many felt didn't even have a 3rd round grade though he's outplayed his draft status), a 6th rounder in Bowanko, and a CFL draftee for a RT in Pazstor. 

I'd take Zach Martin and Taylor Lewan at G and RT for this team. The Pouncey twins came in as rookies (C and G) and were very good if not dominant right away. Any of these guys if plugged in to this OL during their rookie years would have been major upgrades to whoever we decided to trot out there this season.

Quote: Cowboys:

C--1st round (31st overall).  Cowboys traded back from 18 to 31 with the 49ers and picked up a 3rd rounder; 2 years in NFL

RG--1st round (16th overall).  Selected instead of Manziel as many had speculated. Rookie

The Niners also did the same thing with Staley (1st round, 28th), Iupati (1st round, 17th), Martin (3rd round, 70), Davis (1st round, pick 11). Only their RG was "on the cheap".

Quote: Cowboys:

This is why Murray is running wild, and Romo is doing well.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:The Niners also did the same thing with Staley (1st round, 28th), Iupati (1st round, 17th), Martin (3rd round, 70), Davis (1st round, pick 11). Only their RG was "on the cheap".

That's why Frank Gore has continued to have a lot of success. I'm all for drafting another tackle with the first pick, let joeckel play RT

I would be OK with a draft chock full of big uglies on both sides of the ball.  Our lines get manhandled no matter who we play.  Get bigger in the trenches and things will change.

Quote:This is why Murray is running wild, and Romo is doing well.

Ha! I was saying the same thing about the niners, I think Kapernick keeps progressing.