Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why do people want a rookie OT with the first pick?

OK SuperJville, you want 5 solid linemen who you say can be assembled with mid-round picks. I say get a stud OL in the first round then get 4 solid linemen in the mid rounds. If it's easy to get 5 solid ones in mid-rounds then its easier to get 4.

We are facing JJ Watt and Clowney for years to come, you think mid-round guys are going to stop those two?

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 10:29 PM by EricC85.)

I really want Scherff at this point. Scherff, Beadles, Bowanko, Linder, Joeckel then you still have Pasturz as depth and can draft another LG/C for more depth.

edit: I'd really love to see us go Brandon Scherff in the 1st and Cameron Erving in the 2nd. THAT could be an impact line.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Why do morons have to start a whole new thread for every stupid question that crosses their mind?
So that the real morons... such as yourself, have an opportunity to make pithy remarks about the posters intelligence. Wanker!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:OK SuperJville, you want 5 solid linemen who you say can be assembled with mid-round picks. I say get a stud OL in the first round then get 4 solid linemen in the mid rounds. If it's easy to get 5 solid ones in mid-rounds then its easier to get 4.

We are facing JJ Watt and Clowney for years to come, you think mid-round guys are going to stop those two?

Unfortunately, Caldwell's first round guy is who struggles the most with Watt! But I agree get another OT in the first round.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Yes, and because he failed at his first round OT pick (still undetermined in my mind) doesn't mean you give up trying to get that next Tony Boselli.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Quote:Yes, and because he failed at his first round OT pick (still undetermined in my mind) doesn't mean you give up trying to get that next Tony Boselli.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm all for getting another tackle, I think Joeckel is athletic enough to play guard, as I think Young would beat Joeckel out at RT.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:OK SuperJville, you want 5 solid linemen who you say can be assembled with mid-round picks. I say get a stud OL in the first round then get 4 solid linemen in the mid rounds. If it's easy to get 5 solid ones in mid-rounds then its easier to get 4.

we already spent a high 1st rounder on an offensive lineman.

Surround him with more Linders and less Bowanko's and Pasztors and we may have something.

But i'm not advocating spending another HIGH 1st rounder on an offensive lineman..

Trade back to 15 or 20 and draft one?  Sure.  but a high 1st rounder is crazy IMO.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I wasn't suggesting you were being sarcastic, as I was not either.

My point is some people will say since we failed at drafting a stud OT in the first round before, it's crazy we should try it again. But I say just because you failed once doesn't mean you should stop trying.

Quote:I wasn't suggesting you were being sarcastic, as I was not either.

My point is some people will say since we failed at drafting a stud OT in the first round before, it's crazy we should try it again. But I say just because you failed once doesn't mean you should stop trying.

I think even if you get a stud LT, it's still not worthy of a top 5 pick.

It's not a premium position anymore.  The offensive line is a premium unit overall, but one guy on the offensive line isn't more important than the other.  We've already drafted the young tackle with great feet and all that mumbo jumbo, now trade back if you'd like and grab a few other lineman that can actually move people.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I think even if you get a stud LT, it's still not worthy of a top 5 pick.

It's not a premium position anymore.  The offensive line is a premium unit overall, but one guy on the offensive line isn't more important than the other.  We've already drafted the young tackle with great feet and all that mumbo jumbo, now trade back if you'd like and grab a few other lineman that can actually move people.

There's a reason OT's are top picks next to QB's year in and year out.

I disagree. If you have invested your future in Blake Bortles you shouldn't be cheap in drafting his protection. And yes it is a premium position since this is now a QB driven league. If we have the stud LT on the roster now (which is debatable) then draft the next stud RT.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Quote:I disagree. If you have invested your future in Blake Bortles you shouldn't be cheap in drafting his protection. And yes it is a premium position since this is now a QB driven league. If we have the stud LT on the roster now (which is debatable) then draft the next stud RT.

and then JJ watt will just line up over the Center and still kill Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 11:52 PM by huttops.)

Quote:I disagree. If you have invested your future in Blake Bortles you shouldn't be cheap in drafting his protection. And yes it is a premium position since this is now a QB driven league. If we have the stud LT on the roster now (which is debatable) then draft the next stud RT.

I think its very debatable. Unless LJ makes some serious strides prior to the draft, I'm not so sure we can count on him being the answer there. We play Watt/Clowney twice a year and throughout the game he was getting absolutely abused.

To me the problem with a rookie OT also lies with the development curve. Can Blake afford another year being pressured like that? I really worry it will stunt his overall maturation as a QB- just like it did to virtually every QB we've trotted out there since Garrard.

EDIT: In my mind, getting a vet- even if he's not an absolute superstar- will give Blake the confidence he needs NOW to ensure his development remains on track. I don't care if hes a long term solution, as long as we have something we can count on for the next year or so.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 11:54 PM by SuperJville.)

Cam Bradfield played LT better than Luke Joeckel did  this year.  At least according to my eye test.

Quote:I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm all for getting another tackle, I think Joeckel is athletic enough to play guard, as I think Young would beat Joeckel out at RT.
 Young is putrid at RT.

If you think Young would beat out Joeckel at RT, then you must not think much of Joeckel at all.

Not that I blame you, mind you.

I have been quite disappointed with Joeckel.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Management really has not earned our trust to evaluate OT's (ie. Joeckel)- what makes you think they aren't going to screw it up again? Second, a ton of recent rookie OTs have struggled out of the gate as evidenced by the last 3 draft classes.

Lets get some vets who can step right in and play at a level we can at least count on. Even if they aren't superstars, a bit of consistency will greatly improve the timing of our offense.
If OTs coming out of college have struggled in the last three years, where are the free agent OLs coming from?

If an OL has overcome his struggles to be a good player, his team is not likely to let him leave via free agency.

If an OL has not overcome his struggles and is average at best, why would we spend the money to sign him?

Quote:Are we supposed to still buy the notion that all LJ needs in the off season is an NFL workout routine?

It's what Monroe needed, and people scream about him being traded.

Quote: Young is putrid at RT.

If you think Young would beat out Joeckel at RT, then you must not think much of Joeckel at all.

Not that I blame you, mind you.

I have been quite disappointed with Joeckel.

I think the most disturbing thing with Joeckel is there has been zero improvement. His draft status is the only thing keeping him in the lineup. If he was a third or fourth rounder performing this way, he'd be benched.

;

;

Quote:Management really has not earned our trust to evaluate OT's (ie. Joeckel)- what makes you think they aren't going to screw it up again? Second, a ton of recent rookie OTs have struggled out of the gate as evidenced by the last 3 draft classes.

Lets get some vets who can step right in and play at a level we can at least count on. Even if they aren't superstars, a bit of consistency will greatly improve the timing of our offense.

Most fans always argue for a pass rushing DE, but the Jaguars had the best DLine in Jaguars history being in the Top 5 teams of sacks all year long and only won 3 games.

Look at the top best players in the NFL with sacks DE JJ Watt 20.5 sacks, and KC Justin Houston with 22 neither team is in the playoffs...  

I mean its a team sport one player cant do it all, but some players roles are a bit more important like QB (Premium) or CB (Premium) or LT (Premium) because of the importance of their role in the sport sure a great pass rushing DE is considered premium too in that order.

I think the team really needs a great shutdown cornerback in this draft.

Quote:I think the most disturbing thing with Joeckel is there has been zero improvement. His draft status is the only thing keeping him in the lineup. If he was a third or fourth rounder performing this way, he'd be benched.
My thing is he has the athletic ability and feet to be a very good LT, but it has not translated into anything resembling competent pass protection.

I see him off balance, lowering his head and lunging too often.

People say he needs to improve his strength, but often times he is beaten by speed and quickness.