Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why do people want a rookie OT with the first pick?

Quote:Most fans always argue for a pass rushing DE, but the Jaguars had the best DLine in Jaguars history being in the Top 5 teams of sacks all year long and only won 3 games.

Look at the top best players in the NFL with sacks DE JJ Watt 20.5 sacks, and KC Justin Houston with 22 neither team is in the playoffs...  

I mean its a team sport one player cant do it all, but some players roles are a bit more important like QB (Premium) or CB (Premium) or LT (Premium) because of the importance of their role in the sport sure a great pass rushing DE is considered premium too in that order.

I think the team really needs a great shutdown cornerback in this draft.

The team put up alot of sacks but how many times this year did the opposing QB have all day to sit back in the pocket and pick this team apart?

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:OK SuperJville, you want 5 solid linemen who you say can be assembled with mid-round picks. I say get a stud OL in the first round then get 4 solid linemen in the mid rounds. If it's easy to get 5 solid ones in mid-rounds then its easier to get 4.

We are facing JJ Watt and Clowney for years to come, you think mid-round guys are going to stop those two?

Regards.....................the Chiefjag
Good point, I know after watching yesterday's game LT Luke Joekel sure aint the answer... RT Sam Yound did a much better job when blocking JJ Watt then LT Luke did he got beat almost everytime..

Literally their hasn't been one solid OT in the last 4 drafts besides Tyron Smith. Costanzo has been decent, but no one else that's stepped in and been good. For the position most of these players are being picked at, it doesn't make sense. All these top 10 sure fire OT's have all been average at best. If you're planning on taking one trade down, get some more picks. If not, just take the defensive player.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:My thing is he has the athletic ability and feet to be a very good LT, but it has not translated into anything resembling competent pass protection.

I see him off balance, lowering his head and lunging too often.

People say he needs to improve his strength, but often times he is beaten by speed and quickness.

The team desperately needs to add an experienced offensive line coach. Don't promote Butkus, don't go out and hire some schlep. Get a guy who has been in the league for several years.

;

;

Quote:The team put up alot of sacks but how many times this year did the opposing QB have all day to sit back in the pocket and pick this team apart?
Babiach couldnt blitz that often because the LBs, CBs, and Safety blew coverage so bad that a decent QB was able to throw it up there without a care... worst passing defense in years...

Look at the PDs and INTs of CBs (Ball had one but was injured) the bubblegum bandit got a pick six yesterday but  most of it was luck & being in the right spot when the ball was tipped by the WR to him.

Quote:Literally their hasn't been one solid OT in the last 4 drafts besides Tyron Smith. Costanzo has been decent, but no one else that's stepped in and been good. For the position most of these players are being picked at, it doesn't make sense. All these top 10 sure fire OT's have all been average at best. If you're planning on taking one trade down, get some more picks. If not, just take the defensive player.

Lane Johnson looks pretty good to me.

;

;

Quote:Management really has not earned our trust to evaluate OT's (ie. Joeckel)- what makes you think they aren't going to screw it up again? Second, a ton of recent rookie OTs have struggled out of the gate as evidenced by the last 3 draft classes.

Lets get some vets who can step right in and play at a level we can at least count on. Even if they aren't superstars, a bit of consistency will greatly improve the timing of our offense.

I am not in this camp at all. I want the Jaguars to use the No. 3 overall selection on Amari Cooper, WR - Alabama and in the 2nd round with the 36th or 37th overall selection I'd like to see them pick-up Todd Gurley, RB - Georgia. I agree with them going after a proven veteran to help fix the OT position. We need help on both ends. The reason I want Cooper is because Shorts may not be back in 2015, Blackmon's future is still pending. And as good as Robinson, Hurns, and Lee were this year they all showed durability concerns with foot issues, ankle issues, and hamstring issues. Wouldn't hurt to look for a pair of receiving type TE's in this year's draft on day two or three as well with Lewis probably not returning.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:The team desperately needs to add an experienced offensive line coach. Don't promote Butkus, don't go out and hire some schlep. Get a guy who has been in the league for several years.

I think everyone here knows what will happen.  Either Yarno comes back, or Butkus gets promoted.  

This staff lacks leadership.  Gus needs to realize his job is on the line and needs to surround himself with proven winners (should've done that from day one, but I digress).

Watch Butkus get a promotion after the offensive line allowed 71 sacks this year.  Just watch.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The team desperately needs to add an experienced offensive line coach. Don't promote Butkus, don't go out and hire some schlep. Get a guy who has been in the league for several years.

Bunch of guys probably coming free from San Fran soon.

The Jaguars would be wise to pick some people up from that regime.

Quote:Bunch of guys probably coming free from San Fran soon.

Completely and fully agree. Heck, if I'm shad khan I'm calling harbaugh and im making him an offer he can't refuse.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I'm not sure if I would include Roman in that list, even if Fisch gets canned.

Kaepernick hasn't exactly developed into a great passer under his watch.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I would have no problem with that.

But I don't think we'll see any coaches fired though. So unless Yarno does not come back, I don't think there will be any changes. And that is a shame.

;

;

Quote:I'm not sure if I would include Roman in that list, even if Fisch gets canned.

Kaepernick hasn't exactly developed into a great passer under his watch.

I'm not necessarily talking about Roman. I was thinking more their line coach and LB coaches.

They've done a GREAT job developing talent in those areas there, and we could use some help with it here.

Still, I'm not sure I'd put Kaepernick's lack of development on Roman. I've always seen Kaepernick as a guy who wouldn't develop into a fully functional pocket passer and who would always lean too hard on his athleticism. That said he still developed to be a better passer than anyone the Jaguars have had since Garrard left.

Quote:I'm not necessarily talking about Roman. I was thinking more their line coach and LB coaches.

They've done a GREAT job developing talent in those areas there, and we could use some help with it here.

Still, I'm not sure I'd put Kaepernick's lack of development on Roman. I've always seen Kaepernick as a guy who wouldn't develop into a fully functional pocket passer and who would always lean too hard on his athleticism. That said he still developed to be a better passer than anyone the Jaguars have had since Garrard left.
Yeah...I'd take their OL coach in a minute.

Harbaugh should let him go, anyway.  He won't have any problems finding an OL coach at Michigan.

Here is the San Fran o-line coach

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/mike-s...0dddf4d611

The exact kind of coach this team desperately needs.

Two problems though. If Vic Fangio or Jim Tomsula are promoted, he probably stays in SF. And if they are not promoted, why would he come here?

;

;

Quote:Here is the San Fran o-line coach

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/mike-s...0dddf4d611

The exact kind of coach this team desperately needs.

Two problems though. If Vic Fangio or Jim Tomsula are promoted, he probably stays in SF. And if they are not promoted, why would he come here?

More money and a promotion.

Give them an assistant head coach title or whatever meaningless thing can be bestowed on them to allow for them to be "promoted."

The 49ers carcass is something the Jaguars can't miss out on getting their piece of.

I wouldn't hold my breath

;

;

Quote:More money and a promotion.

Give them an assistant head coach title or whatever meaningless thing can be bestowed on them to allow for them to be "promoted."

The 49ers carcass is something the Jaguars can't miss out on getting their piece of.
This X 10.

Iupati wouldn't hurt, either.

This years draft class looked promising but last years had as a few head scratchers like 1st round LT Luke Joekel, 3rd Round Bubblegum bandit Gratz, 4th round druggie Ace not in the hole fumbles returns Sanders, 5th round shoelace offensive weapon not at receiving but started to look good as a HB Robinson, 6th round FS always out of position and getting burned even cut Josh Evans, 7th round J. Harris & McCray looked decent and 2nd round SS Jonathan Cyprien is okay.

The assertion that "the majority of this board" wants an OT with the first round pick seems like a major stretch to me. 

I haven't seen much of that tossed around. 

Personally - I'm all for bolstering the line with a couple FA signings and maybe a third or fourth round pick who may not start right away.