Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We need a new offense

Quote:The problem with firing Fisch is finding somebody to replace him. Bradley would clearly enter next season on the hot seat. What in-demand OC would want to take a job that could very easily be one-and-done? It would be another Fisch - an 'up-and-coming' guy who wants to make a name for himself, not somebody who has options. 

This is a good point, unfortunately. The problem is that, and perhaps this was all understood by Khan and Dave when they built this team , is that EVERYONE is young. I know Mularkey's regime was a major failure, but it was like a pendulum swing from his staff. We went from veteran coordinators with TONS of experience (some being highly regarded like Jerry and Croom) to basically a bunch of promoted young guys all learning on the job.

Now, I understand why Dave and Gus went this route...Gus is young, a first time HC and wanted to bring in guys he's worked with before and feel comfortable working with. Almost every HC brings their own "guys". But he's going into year 3...and some of these guys just aren't cutting it.

I think Roman can be convinced by Dave if we want him. His name took a bit of a hit after the mess in SF, and with a new coaching staff coming in to replace Harbaugh its not like he's guaranteed a job there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't know that this OL can't adjust. Luke has been terrible at cut blocking that I'd rather see if he can get stronger and play straight up. Pasztor and Linder (even Bowanko) are bigger guys who should be able to hold up at the point of attack. Even Beadles has pretty good size.

Good point.

Quote:The problem with firing Fisch is finding somebody to replace him. Bradley would clearly enter next season on the hot seat. What in-demand OC would want to take a job that could very easily be one-and-done? It would be another Fisch - an 'up-and-coming' guy who wants to make a name for himself, not somebody who has options. 
A once Head Coaching Canadite (Greg Roman) will be available and was Dave Caldwells Friend. I could see him coming here as the OC and if Perchance Gus is gone after next year would not have to look far for a replacement.

Quote:A once Head Coaching Canadite (Greg Roman) will be available and was Dave Caldwells Friend. I could see him coming here as the OC and if Perchance Gus is gone after next year would not have to look far for a replacement.

If Gus is gone, so is Dave. IMO, both of them are tied together.

Its all about the money

Quote:Hurricanes.

No argument? Got it. :thumbsup:

Quote:No argument? Got it. :thumbsup:

Don't need to, I watched that offense, it was dynamic and explosive. Watched every game, there is no argument. For what they had, it was extremely impressive. Sorry, I thought you misinterpreted my post.

There's only so much Fisch can do with the talent as his disposal. It was laughable watching the competition between Marcedes and Marquis to see who could drop the most third down passes.

At any rate, I'm holding out high hopes for next year given my overall impression of Bortles even though he appeared to regress a bit against the Texans staunch defense. Hurns and Allen Robinson make for a good base to build on, and then we just need to hope that Marquis or Blackmon decide to show up.

Of note regarding Bortles, I found his stats intriguing...

• Threw 14 interceptions in his first eight games and had only three interceptions in the last six games.
  • Started the final 13 games and finished the season 280 of 475 passing for 2,908 yards with 11 touchdowns and 17 interceptions for a 69.5 rating.  He had a 58.9 completion percentage and was sacked 55 times.
I'm a little perturbed over his YPA regression. While he cut down his INTs as the first note explains, his YPA took a drastic hit. Over those first nine games
(first game action plus eight starts)
that saw 14 INTs, Bortles had a 6.9 YPA, a 63.3 completion percentage and averaged 213 yards per game. Over those final six games that saw only 3 INTs, Bortles had a 5.0 YPA, a 52.8 completion percentage and averaged 165 yards per game. His TD count also dropped in these time frames from nearly 1 per game to 1 every 2 games.

What I'm hoping for is to see stats similar to his first eight games but with the INT count of the last six games. This would in turn boost that 69.5 rating to a 87.2.

'02

Quote:There's only so much Fisch can do with the talent as his disposal. It was laughable watching the competition between Marcedes and Marquis to see who could drop the most third down passes.

At any rate, I'm holding out high hopes for next year given my overall impression of Bortles even though he appeared to regress a bit against the Texans staunch defense. Hurns and Allen Robinson make for a good base to build on, and then we just need to hope that Marquis or Blackmon decide to show up.

• Threw 14 interceptions in his first eight games and had only three interceptions in the last six games.
  • Started the final 13 games and finished the season 280 of 475 passing for 2,908 yards with 11 touchdowns and 17 interceptions for a 69.5 rating.  He had a 58.9 completion percentage and was sacked 55 times.
I'm a little perturbed over his YPA regression. While he cut down his INTs as the first note explains, his YPA took a drastic hit. Over those first nine games
that saw 14 INTs, Bortles had a 6.9 YPA, a 63.3 completion percentage and averaged 213 yards per game. Over those final six games that saw only 3 INTs, Bortles had a 5.0 YPA, a 52.8 completion percentage and averaged 165 yards per game.

I think losing A Rob turned out to be a really big deal.

Quote:I think losing A Rob turned out to be a really big deal.

I think he mostly stopped taking as many risks.

Quote:What I'm hoping for is to see stats similar to his first eight games but with the INT count of the last six games. This would in turn boost that 69.5 rating to a 87.2.

I'm sure this is what everyone wants, but it's much easier said than done.  When Fisch let Bortles be a gunslinger, the INT's became alarming, when Fisch tried to eliminate the turnovers, Bortles short accuracy issues were exposed.  Even you said "There's only so much Fisch can do with the talent at his disposal."

I believe Fisch did all he could do.

Quote:There's only so much Fisch can do with the talent as his disposal. It was laughable watching the competition between Marcedes and Marquis to see who could drop the most third down passes.

that saw 14 INTs, Bortles had a 6.9 YPA, a 63.3 completion percentage and averaged 213 yards per game. Over those final six games that saw only 3 INTs, Bortles had a 5.0 YPA, a 52.8 completion percentage and averaged 165 yards per game. His TD count also dropped in these time frames from nearly 1 per game to 1 every 2 games.

What I'm hoping for is to see stats similar to his first eight games but with the INT count of the last six games. This would in turn boost that 69.5 rating to a 87.2.

The main reason he cut down his INTs is he basically went into Chad Henne mode. Look at the throws he was attempting in preseason and early on before his rash of INTs and compare them to the throws he was making the last few weeks.