Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We need a new offense

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 05:26 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:So why wasn't Fisch's offense more successful at Miami? Was it a lack of talent there, too?

It was successful.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It was successful.

I understand we as Jag fans may have lowered expectations based on the way the team has played as of late but how was it successful?

Quote:It was successful.

Why not hire an OC who had success in the NFL?

We dont need to be pinching pennies when it comes to this offensive coaching staff.

Quote:The line can't block,

the receivers can't get open, when the do, they can't catch,

Blake has been horribly inaccurate,

and we can't execute the short stuff.

What in the heck do you expect? This O is obysmal.

Yup,, all of the above. It's not all the OC (although, admittedly it's "easier" to replace him).

The entire offense is abysmal, Blake included. Those guys have to execute the plays you know.

I think the thing about our offense is the lack of scoring.  Yes the O-Line is bad, but even when we get near the red zone we don't score TDs.

We're 30th in the NFL for TDs scored when in the red zone.  We only get a TD 42% of the time.  We're the 3rd worst team in scoring TDs in the red zone.  That's an indictment on the coaches.  Yes, we have rookies.   Yes we have horrible O-Line play.

But in the moments where things come together and we happend to miraculously find ourselves in the red zone, we usually don't finish the job.  Why?  Poor offensive philosophy, poor play-calling, and poor execution.  The coaches should bear responsibility for the failures we are seeing.  But that's just my opinion.

Quote:I think you have to look at the body of work over the last two seasons.  Rookies aside.  There is no creativity.  We need 9 yards on third down and we throw the ball three.  We have no creativity for the most part.  We blow leads because we don't play to win.  We don't attack.  The coaches are paid to get the most out of these guys.  Do you see where they are getting the most out of them?  Fisch came in here with this zone blocking scheme that does nothing but get blown up play after play after play.  Is it miraculously going to get fixed in the offseason.  I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it.  I'm not a huge fan of Gus either, but I think he survives.
Spot on...

Quote:86 yards passing is utter failure. If you want to place most of the blame on Bortles, then we need somebody who can coach him better.
Who are you going to hire to coach the offensive line, the receivers, the LB's, and the DB's?  It seems to me  you could coach Blake all you want but without a supporting cast it would make no difference.

Quote:I think the thing about our offense is the lack of scoring.  Yes the O-Line is bad, but even when we get near the red zone we don't score TDs.

We're 30th in the NFL for TDs scored when in the red zone.  We only get a TD 42% of the time.  We're the 3rd worst team in scoring TDs in the red zone.  That's an indictment on the coaches.  Yes, we have rookies.   Yes we have horrible O-Line play.

But in the moments where things come together and we happend to miraculously find ourselves in the red zone, we usually don't finish the job.  Why?  Poor offensive philosophy, poor play-calling, and poor execution.  The coaches should bear responsibility for the failures we are seeing.  But that's just my opinion.

I agree, I also guess I don't understand why Bradley gets a pass from most on here when 2/3 of HIS team suck (Special Teams and Offense) and the defense has been better than the last couple of miserable seasons but it's not much of anything special.

Quote:I agree, I also guess I don't understand why Bradley gets a pass from most on here when 2/3 of HIS team suck (Special Teams and Offense) and the defense has been better than the last couple of miserable seasons but it's not much of anything special.

Well, it's not like I'm giving Bradley a pass...  But it's almost 100% given that Bradley is back for the 2015 season.  

It makes for quite the mess, to be honest.  I really do think one needs to get a new OC and ST coach in here.  But there is a likeli-hood that they all get canned in 2016 and we have to then repeat the entire process.

Going into this offseason, there are alot of ugly loose ends sticking out all over this team.

You think Fisch is somehow clueless when it comes to teaching the o-line what to do to pick up the blitz? Because that is the issue right now. He has broken down the tape and told this line what needs to be done. They just aren't doing it. A new OC will just tell them the same thing. These defenses aren't doing anything innovative. Personally, I'm tired of watching the o-line look confused when the d-line stunts. It was going on in preseason and is still going on. Boselli said it was communication issues then but that can't be the problem now can it? That isn't on the OC. That is about players. Either these guys need to improve or find someone who will play better. But Fisch is completely hampered with what he can do right now. Firing him is completely irrational. Like I said, fans are upset and want wins. I understand that and don't blame.

Quote:I understand we as Jag fans may have lowered expectations based on the way the team has played as of late but how was it successful?

Hurricanes.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 08:12 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:Why not hire an OC who had success in the NFL?

We dont need to be pinching pennies when it comes to this offensive coaching staff.
I agree at this point and would not be against giving someone else a shot, but these fans and the blame the play caller nonsense kill me.

Quote:Yup,, all of the above. It's not all the OC (although, admittedly it's "easier" to replace him).

The entire offense is abysmal, Blake included. Those guys have to execute the plays you know.

You get it.

Quote:Who are you going to hire to coach the offensive line, the receivers, the LB's, and the DB's? It seems to me you could coach Blake all you want but without a supporting cast it would make no difference.

Im not saying we shouldnt upgrade the line

As of now we have a backup Oline coach and an OC who was above average at Miami. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Quote:How are inaccurate passes, dropped balls, and poor o-line play Fisch's fault? This one isn't on Fisch. At this point I just think fans, who are largely ignorant of what is really going on on the field, need to vent their frustration and Fisch is the whipping boy.

its that age-old question of "chicken or egg"

Is Fisch bad because he has a rookie QB who doesn't have a full grasp of the playbook and struggles reading defense? Along with a rookie C who can't make correct line calls? And a turnstile for a LT? A journeyman for a RT? How about an undrafted WR? And two other wide receivers who missed a lot of time in camp/season due to injury?

On one hand, just reading that above should tell you this offense won't be very good regardless of the OC and Fisch shows occassional gadgetry in his playcalling that makes you think he's somewhat creative.

But then, you watch the Texans start Case Keenum, lose Foster and trot out Blue and Grimes at RB and their offense were humming for most of the game. Their playcalling, especially in the 1st half, had our entire defense's head on swivel as they had no idea how to defend the wildcat and the numerous screen plays that the Texans used...despite the fact that its US who had the longer break...and should have had more time to gameplan against them (and apparently they used these things against Baltimore last week, so these are things our team would have seen on film).

That said, while I'm concerned with Bortles having to learn a new system...I don't think I'd mind if they let go off Jedd...provided its a veteran OC that can guide all these young guys on offense.

Next year will be just like 2014 but with 2nd year players being the blame. Rah Rah Rah.. It is Ground Hog team.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:You think Fisch is somehow clueless when it comes to teaching the o-line what to do to pick up the blitz? Because that is the issue right now. He has broken down the tape and told this line what needs to be done. They just aren't doing it. A new OC will just tell them the same thing. These defenses aren't doing anything innovative. Personally, I'm tired of watching the o-line look confused when the d-line stunts. It was going on in preseason and is still going on. Boselli said it was communication issues then but that can't be the problem now can it? That isn't on the OC. That is about players. Either these guys need to improve or find someone who will play better. But Fisch is completely hampered with what he can do right now. Firing him is completely irrational. Like I said, fans are upset and want wins. I understand that and don't blame.

This is a bottom line business. We dont need to be bringing back coaches who cant get our players to produce and simply HOPE things get better. Actions need to be taken to attempt to improve this offense beyond upgrading the blockers.

The problem with firing Fisch is finding somebody to replace him. Bradley would clearly enter next season on the hot seat. What in-demand OC would want to take a job that could very easily be one-and-done? It would be another Fisch - an 'up-and-coming' guy who wants to make a name for himself, not somebody who has options. 

Quote:Greg Roman and Marc Trestman should both be available. Trestman's offense might be a smoother transition, as the o'line isn't set up for the Harbaugh/Roman power running scheme. We'll see how wedded Gus is to Fisch, whom he didn't work with before his hiring. I think he should be cut the same as an underperforming player.

I don't know that this OL can't adjust. Luke has been terrible at cut blocking that I'd rather see if he can get stronger and play straight up. Pasztor and Linder (even Bowanko) are bigger guys who should be able to hold up at the point of attack. Even Beadles has pretty good size.

It's scary to be pretty much right where we were this time last year.

Thank God, we have an owner now that will put some demands on this bunch.

2015 had better show us something....and NOT the same old same old.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson