Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Knight and Day

Quote:Aaron Rodgers held the ball up really high by his ear. It was discussed heavily during the draft. If you look at pics now, he doesn't do that. Blakes issues are footwork which is easier of a fix than throwing motion.

Thanks, I don't remember his pre draft analysis. Good to see he's changed his muscle memory. I know Stafford couldn't do it that's why I wanted to hear who has succesfully.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yes

Are they great? No. Awful? No.

Quote:Ha I figured I was missing something! Well played op well played

Don't worry, I missed it too. It wasn't a very good one so it's coolWink

It seems pretty clear to me that after those first couple games he ditched working on the footwork and focused more on the mental approach and reading defenses,, going through his progressions, etc. You can't work on both at the same time during a game. I personally think that he has been on more of an upswing since that Cincy game.

Quote:Aaron Rodgers held the ball up really high by his ear. It was discussed heavily during the draft. If you look at pics now, he doesn't do that. Blakes issues are footwork which is easier of a fix than throwing motion.

He has to do something about that huge windup he's had recently. It's caused a lot of balls to be beaten down and it's going to result in a lot of interceptions if it continues because it gives defensive backs and extra split second to jump routes.

In terms of QB issues  - the things Bortles needs to fix are largely the "most fixable" you could have.  I have very little concern about the footwork and mechanics. Almost zero concern in fact. 

The mental errors/ decision making/ adjustments at the LOS are the real concerns, but he's shown flashes of improvement there, and I expect the offseason to help in these areas also.  

All this talk of "regression" is still absurd to me.  A rookie that every analyst under the sun calls "raw" is going to be a roller coaster ride in terms of consistency, production, and technical execution.  That's what they are implying  when they call him that. 

He didn't regress.  He had a rookie season.

Many rookies and second year guys show poor technique when the pressure is on.  It's natural. The only thing that will make changes in technique become second nature is time and repetition.  He hasn't had enough of that yet. That can take longer than a football season to happen. 

I think he'll be even more fun to watch next season.  He'll likely still have plenty of wrinkles to iron out, but I see no reason why he won't improve. 

It's going to take a couple years before Blake is a finished product. We should enjoy watching him develop and pray he doesn't break in the process.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:In terms of QB issues  - the things Bortles needs to fix are largely the "most fixable" you could have.  I have very little concern about the footwork and mechanics. Almost zero concern in fact. 

The mental errors/ decision making/ adjustments at the LOS are the real concerns, but he's shown flashes of improvement there, and I expect the offseason to help in these areas also.  

All this talk of "regression" is still absurd to me.  A rookie that every analyst under the sun calls "raw" is going to be a roller coaster ride in terms of consistency, production, and technical execution.  That's what they are implying  when they call him that. 

Many rookies and second year guys show poor technique when the pressure is on.  It's natural. The only thing that will make changes in technique second nature is time and repetition. That can take longer than a football season to happen. 

I think he'll be even more fun to watch next season.  He'll likely still have plenty of wrinkles to iron out, but I see no reason why he won't improve. 
Spot on. Figuring out where the ball needs to go is more important than figuring out how to get it there at this point in his career IMO. It has not been flashy but there have been good strides for him.

Quote:In terms of QB issues  - the things Bortles needs to fix are largely the "most fixable" you could have.  I have very little concern about the footwork and mechanics. Almost zero concern in fact. 

Many rookies and second year guys show poor technique when the pressure is on.  It's natural. The only thing that will make changes in technique second nature is time and repetition. That can take longer than a football season to happen. 

Do you mean most fixable type of mechanics, or just that mechanics are the most fixable issue a QB has.

Quote:Are they great? No. Awful? No.
Ok great, man, whatever you want to label it.

He did look better in preseason but I always figured it was because of the weak Def but was happy to see him play well. Hope he does plenty of work this offseason.

Quote:I think you're just looking for something to complain about. Anyone who thought that Bortles would come into the season playing like he did in the preseason was just being ignorant. He didn't face anything in preseason. Also he has cut down on his turnovers the last few weeks...I don't know what you call that be I call that progress. He has a higher comp. % than Carr more yards than Teddy and almost as many sacks as both...combined (50 - 57). I am not saying he's playing his best ball, but while we cannot blame all the sacks on the O-Line we also cannot blame all the picks and low comp %  on Bortles. What impresses me is his ints have went down...that's progress. 
I agree that the preseason was easier competition, but if you go back and watch him in the preseason he was accurate even on bad decisions the ball went to where his Wr could get it, recently he's been over throwing RBs out the backfield, under throwing slants, throwing the ball out of bounds trying to hit a guy on an out.. it just seems his mechanics regression has hurt his ability to make good throws.

He's the only QB coming out that never had a QB coach. Let that sink in a bit. With an off-season to probably work with big Ben I'm assuming as they have the same agent and mutual respect, he'll get better and over time, much improved.

Quote:Do you mean most fixable type of mechanics, or just that mechanics are the most fixable issue a QB has.

Both. I mean mechanics are more fixable than the intangibles he's already displayed. 

(feels backside pressure, ability to climb pocket, escapability, willingness to throw downfield etc) 

And at his age, yes, mechanics are the most fixable issue IMO. 

I also mean that it's obvious that he's already in the process of fixing the mechanics since he will sometimes display good technique in those rare instances that he isn't pressured. He's shown that he can do it right - he just has to make it second nature. 

Quote:I agree that the preseason was easier competition, but if you go back and watch him in the preseason he was accurate even on bad decisions the ball went to where his Wr could get it, recently he's been over throwing RBs out the backfield, under throwing slants, throwing the ball out of bounds trying to hit a guy on an out.. it just seems his mechanics regression has hurt his ability to make good throws.
I'd put that on having to make quicker decisions which result in going back to his norm and fatigue. This is likely the most he's thrown. He never had the benefit of a QB camp or guru like teddy and Carr so everything here is new. Considering all that, for a rookie season, I'm satisfied.

Our own Garrard had that little hop in his delivery that he worked out with Mike Shula one off-season before the 2007 season. Footwork quirks are very fixable.

Quote:Thanks, I don't remember his pre draft analysis. Good to see he's changed his muscle memory. I know Stafford couldn't do it that's why I wanted to hear who has succesfully.

The great thing about Blake is he seems not only willing to change his mechanics, but knows that's what's needed to be great. Leftwich, as you may recall, was unwilling to work on changing his elongated wind up, or that was at least what was reported heavily while he was here.

LOL, everybody acts like Bortles was the complete player when he arrived and "coaching" or "lack of coaching" has ruined him.  The preseason can make anybody look good.  It's different when you have the NFL's best defensive minds plotting to confuse and hurry your rookie QB, taking away what he does well and putting him into unfamiliar territory each week.  But the good QBs won't get fooled too many times with the same trick.  The progressions start to slow down and you learn where your WRs like the ball, learn their body language.  That stuff comes with time, not usually in rookie seasons. 

Didn't read the thread, so sorry if this has already been stated.

I haven't seen Bortles regress at all. In preseason, there were no schemes and teams weren't game-planning for him. Now, he's been up against the real deal Holyfield all season. Has he had some rough games? Sure. He's a ROOKIE!!! He isn't going to get better and better each game, sorry. As much as we would all love him to have a 4,000 30 TD season, it wasn't going to happen this year. He has another offseason to work on his footwork. The game appears to be slowing down for him somewhat and he is making better decisions. The only thing I have been frustrated with, is the fact that 75% of our plays are within 5 yards. Not sure if that's on Fisch's gameplan (or lack thereof), or Bortles checking down too much. Either way, we are 3-12 and out of the hunt, so throw the ball down the freakin' field!

Quote:LOL, everybody acts like Bortles was the complete player when he arrived and "coaching" or "lack of coaching" has ruined him.  The preseason can make anybody look good.  It's different when you have the NFL's best defensive minds plotting to confuse and hurry your rookie QB, taking away what he does well and putting him into unfamiliar territory each week.  But the good QBs won't get fooled too many times with the same trick.  The progressions start to slow down and you learn where your WRs like the ball, learn their body language.  That stuff comes with time, not usually in rookie seasons. 
Nobody thought that, are you even reading the thread?