Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft picks after Round 1

It happens every year: Everybody worries about the first round pick number and totally ignores the fact that it will be different later on. Whatever pick number we get in Round 1, it will not be the same in Rounds 2-7 because of the rotation with all other 3-13 or 4-12 teams. Last year we were one of five 4-12 teams, so after picking Blake Bortles, we did not get the third pick again until Round 6. So what pick numbers are the Jaguars likely to get throughout the draft?

One thing is definite: the Titans and Buccaneers will pick before we do. They have only two wins and weaker schedules. So the highest we can pick is #3 in the first round. If the Jaguars, Jets, and Raiders lose (all are 3-12), that will be the first round draft order and the 4-11 Redskins will be locked at #6. In this scenario, the second round would look like this if no picks are traded:

33. Buccaneers

34. Titans

35. Jets

36. Raiders

37. Jaguars

If we win and the Redskins lose, they will be in our draft rotation. One possibility is simply alternating picks with the Redskins, which would happen if we win and the Jets, Raiders, and Redskins lose. I do not want it to work out that way. Chances are nearly zero percent the Raiders will win at Denver, so winning at Houston will make us pick after Oakland in all seven rounds. But if we lose, we will swap picks with the Raiders or be in a rotation that includes Oakland. The Jets have a much better chance of beating Miami, so we could swap picks with them by beating the Texans. Yes, this is important when talking about the draft order.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think that the draft picks for each of the teams will be decided once all the games have been played

All that typing for nothing, the draft picks will be decided Sun.

Quote:All that typing for nothing, the draft picks will be decided Sun.
lol

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

The draft choices, of course, depend on which players the Jaguars lose and acquire via Free Agency.

"Smart money" has the Jaguars drafting a DE/DT with the first round choice.  It is also possible that they select a ROT with that selection.

The most likely option is a ROT for the round two choice.  If the Jaguars pick up a ROT in FA or round one, then they can select O'Leary, TE, with that second selection.  MLB, OLB, and FS are also good options for round two.

In round three there will be several FS available.  The Jaguars could also draft a TE, LB, or LOG.

In round four Shaq Mason, OG for Georgia Tech, should be available.  The team could draft him to back up the OG and C positions.  I think McClendon is a FA this year, but not 100% sure that is correct.  Normally a FA is selected for the C/G backup position.  Other options are FS, WR, and LB.  Of course, by the time the teams get to the fourth round there is a lot of equality in level of play and any position could be selected.

This is a summary of the way I see the draft options.  There are countless options available, but the realistic draft options depend on what the Jaguars do in Free Agency and how the team management assesses team needs. 

JDUB!

You totally missed the whole point.

Quote:You totally missed the whole point.
So what was the point that I missed?

I'd rather have the higher pick in the first round, it doesn't matter if we don't pick in the same spot each round.

Quote:It happens every year: Everybody worries about the first round pick number and totally ignores the fact that it will be different later on. Whatever pick number we get in Round 1, it will not be the same in Rounds 2-7 because of the rotation with all other 3-13 or 4-12 teams. Last year we were one of five 4-12 teams, so after picking Blake Bortles, we did not get the third pick again until Round 6. So what pick numbers are the Jaguars likely to get throughout the draft?

One thing is definite: the Titans and Buccaneers will pick before we do. They have only two wins and weaker schedules. So the highest we can pick is #3 in the first round. If the Jaguars, Jets, and Raiders lose (all are 3-12), that will be the first round draft order and the 4-11 Redskins will be locked at #6. In this scenario, the second round would look like this if no picks are traded:

33. Buccaneers

34. Titans

35. Jets

36. Raiders

37. Jaguars

If we win and the Redskins lose, they will be in our draft rotation. One possibility is simply alternating picks with the Redskins, which would happen if we win and the Jets, Raiders, and Redskins lose. I do not want it to work out that way. Chances are nearly zero percent the Raiders will win at Denver, so winning at Houston will make us pick after Oakland in all seven rounds. But if we lose, we will swap picks with the Raiders or be in a rotation that includes Oakland. The Jets have a much better chance of beating Miami, so we could swap picks with them by beating the Texans. Yes, this is important when talking about the draft order.
No its not JDub. No reason predicting where we will pick right now since there is still one more game to be played.

Quote:The draft choices, of course, depend on which players the Jaguars lose and acquire via Free Agency.

"Smart money" has the Jaguars drafting a DE/DT with the first round choice.  It is also possible that they select a ROT with that selection.

The most likely option is a ROT for the round two choice.  If the Jaguars pick up a ROT in FA or round one, then they can select O'Leary, TE, with that second selection.  MLB, OLB, and FS are also good options for round two.

In round three there will be several FS available.  The Jaguars could also draft a TE, LB, or LOG.

In round four Shaq Mason, OG for Georgia Tech, should be available.  The team could draft him to back up the OG and C positions.  I think McClendon is a FA this year, but not 100% sure that is correct.  Normally a FA is selected for the C/G backup position.  Other options are FS, WR, and LB.  Of course, by the time the teams get to the fourth round there is a lot of equality in level of play and any position could be selected.

This is a summary of the way I see the draft options.  There are countless options available, but the realistic draft options depend on what the Jaguars do in Free Agency and how the team management assesses team needs. 

If we don't get Bryan Bulaga I want the right tackle to be picked early unless there is a can't-miss safety or linebacker. As for left guard, I can't imagine David Caldwell giving up on Zane Beadles after just one year. If Jaques McClendon is not a free agent, I would cut him. Either way, drafting a backup center/guard on May 2 would be smart. Is Shaq Mason a multipurpose lineman or former center who moved to guard?

Why should we wait until the third round to pick a free safety? Jonathan Cyprien was the #33 pick, so obviously the second round would not be reaching for one.

One position we do not need to fill in the draft is wide receiver. It would be better to sign a veteran who also returns punts. I do agree on picking a tight end in the third round.

Quote:So what was the point that I missed?

We don't pick in the same spot all 7 rounds because of the draft order rotation among tied teams.

Quote:No its not JDub. No reason predicting where we will pick right now since there is still one more game to be played.

I did not say predicting our pick number is important right now. What's important to me is how many teams are in the draft order rotation.

Quote:We don't pick in the same spot all 7 rounds because of the draft order rotation among tied teams.

I did not say predicting our pick number is important right now. What's important to me is how many teams are in the draft order rotation.
We all know this JDub, no point in writing all that when we go through this every year. We all know how it works

Quote: 

One position we do not need to fill in the draft is wide receiver. It would be better to sign a veteran who also returns punts.

Didn't we do that last year?  Tandon Doss.   He's been on IR since the preseason. 

Quote:We all know this JDub, no point in writing all that when we go through this every year. We all know how it works
Exactly.  And she talks about worrying.

Hey JDub, no one is "worrying" about anything, especially what order the draft will proceed in during the later rounds.  If i had a list of all the things in my life worth worrying about on it, this wouldn't even be a footnote.

Quote:Didn't we do that last year? Tandon Doss. He's been on IR since the preseason. 

This year. I never saw him in preseason so I don't know how good he is at that job. Hopefully he will work out next season.

Yeah I'd like to see more of Tandon Doss!

Quote:This year. I never saw him in preseason so I don't know how good he is at that job. Hopefully he will work out next season.
A lot of people refer to the last offseason as last year since we are entering a new offseason and the discussion has shifted that way.  It's just semantics, yet you keep correcting people on it.  Does it really matter?  You're just coming of as arrogant and rude at this point, let it go.  Not a big deal.  Breathe in, breathe out.

Quote:A lot of people refer to the last offseason as last year since we are entering a new offseason and the discussion has shifted that way.  It's just semantics, yet you keep correcting people on it.  Does it really matter?  You're just coming of as arrogant and rude at this point, let it go.  Not a big deal.  Breathe in, breathe out.

It will be last year in nine days. I know people are shifting their thoughts to next year already, but until the offseason begins, "last year" is a lie.

Yeah let's try and concentrate on this year for now guys!!!