Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jurell Casey over Ngakoue for All AFC South DE?

This is according to the ESPN roundtable of beat writers.

I can't believe it. Ngakoue has 8 sacks.  Casey only 5.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They would be right. Casey is a far better player right now. 

They both played over 700 snaps, those other 99%+ plays that didn't involve sacks matter too. 

Quote:This is according to the ESPN roundtable of beat writers.

I can't believe it. Ngakoue has 8 sacks. Casey only 5.
lol, so sacks is all that matter?

Quote:This is according to the ESPN roundtable of beat writers.

I can't believe it. Ngakoue has 8 sacks.  Casey only 5.
We see our standout players (as homers) as should be winners. But we gotta take the teal colored lens off when comparing to other players and avoid comparing stats too. I can't disagree with their choice. We can be glad that him and Jalen were on the the all rookie team though. Smile
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Not really a true comparison as they play different positions even though it says DE. Titans defense is a 3-4 where the DE is basically a down lineman (DT) and a linebacker is responsible for the rush. Ngakoue played a true rush DE in a 4-3. So you see a difference in their sacks and tackle stats. Ngakoue has more sacks and Casey has more tackles. Either way, Ngakoue had the better overall stats 23 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 interception, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 pass defended. Casey had 31 tackles, 5 sacks, and 5 pass defended.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:Not really a true comparison as they play different positions even though it says DE. Titans defense is a 3-4 where the DE is basically a down lineman (DT) and a linebacker is responsible for the rush. Ngakoue played a true rush DE in a 4-3. So you see a difference in their sacks and tackle stats. Ngakoue has more sacks and Casey has more tackles. Either way, Ngakoue had the better overall stats 23 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 interception, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 pass defended. Casey had 31 tackles, 5 sacks, and 5 pass defended.

I certainly agree that it's not a true comparison because of the different position factor.  IMO,  a better comparison gauge for Yannick Ngakoue is with the other edge rushers in the AFC South.

Quote:I certainly agree that it's not a true comparison because of the different position factor.  IMO,  a better comparison gauge for Yannick Ngakoue is with the other edge rushers in the AFC South.

No doubt and what I find interesting is the growth potential. We are talking about a guy just learning the NFL version of the game in what was not a particularly friendly scheme. 2017 may be interesting.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Completely different positions.

Quote:No doubt and what I find interesting is the growth potential. We are talking about a guy just learning the NFL version of the game in what was not a particularly friendly scheme. 2017 may be interesting.

A case can be made that the 2nd best thing to come out of the Jaguars 2016 season was the production and potential that Yannick Ngakoue demonstrated.   With the play and potential of Jalen Ramsey the best occurrence for the team.

Ngakoue should have been somewhere on that All-AFC South team.

Quote:Completely different positions.

I know... I admit Casey has the edge as a DL, but the guy is a DT.

'02

Casey is a beast it makes sense.  I could see Yannick becoming better though.  They way the two play is a different too.  

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I have to echo the thoughts of the other posters..

Sacks aren't the be all and end all... sure, they matter, but the all-round game is more important.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I'm surprised Casey hasn't single handedly snapped Bortles in half yet. 2 of the worst hits I've seen him take both came from Casey. Ngakoue was good as a rookie 3rd rounder, but he only flashed every once in a while. It's a joke to think he's better at this point.

Through this point in time,  Jurrell Casey seems to have been the best player for Tennessee this decade by a sizable margin.  The lack of national TV exposure has kept him from being one of the highest profile Defensive players in the NFL.