Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can Bortles be better than Wilson?

I saw a stat the other day about Wilson, he is the second QB in league history to have multiple games with 300+ yard passing and 80+ yards rushing.  Vick was the other.

Is Bortles' ceiling higher than Wilson?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Definitely. Everybody on this board knows Blake Bortles has a high ceiling and the potential to be a great quarterback except the idiots who want to worry about everything.

Quote:I saw a stat the other day about Wilson, he is the second QB in league history to have multiple games with 300+ yard passing and 80+ yards rushing.  Vick was the other.

Is Bortles' ceiling higher than Wilson?

I'm not sure. Wilson is the better athlete so I don't think Blake will have the rushing yards that he gets. He also has a stronger arm (though Blake can throw a nice zip as we saw early in the year when his mechanics are good). There's some decision making stuff that I saw from Blake this year that gave me pause, and hopefully its just inexperience that will be corrected in time. Other than size, I'm not sure there is anything that Blake does now better than Wilson.

Wilson is such a unique player that it doesn't make a lot of sense to try and compare his play to that of other quarterbacks.

He just wins games.

they're completely different. In the broadest sense yes Blake has a higher ceiling but they'd still have a completely different playing style. That said, Blake does have a bit of Wilson in his game with the way he improvises and his ability to pass on the move, outside the pocket, and how smart of a runner he is, but Wilson can't match Blake's advantage at size just as Blake can't match Wilson's speed.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Right now neither is a top 10 QB. I think blake will be, wilson won't in the future. Wilson is 17th in yards in a pass happy league. Hoyer and Alex Smith are ahead of him.... let that sink in.. Hoyer and Smith. Blake is 23rd and only 500 yards behind Wilson.

Wilson has a complete team, Blake has rookies and he's a rookie with a 2nd year coach. What could blake do in Seattle, and what would Wilson look like here?

Quote:Right now neither is a top 10 QB. I think blake will be, wilson won't in the future. Wilson is 17th in yards in a pass happy league. Hoyer and Alex Smith are ahead of him.... let that sink in.. Hoyer and Smith. Blake is 23rd and only 500 yards behind Wilson.

Wilson has a complete team, Blake has rookies and he's a rookie with a 2nd year coach. What could blake do in Seattle, and what would Wilson look like here?

... on a run-first team with great defense and good special teams (although this year we are far from last season; we miss Golden Tate as returner and coverage is also worse). Because of that Wilson usually has shorter field than most of other QBs and he can't put up all those passing yards. Pete Carroll doesn't care about them either. He's about efficiency and ball security and Wilson does everything that is asked of him and much more. Behind a bad OL (in pass protection, but I also think Lynch and Wilson make them look better they really are in run blocking) and without a true #1 WR on his team.

Anyway, passing yards are for me one of the most overrated stats in football. They are only useful in fantasy football (BTW, if I'm not mistaken Wilson is 3rd best fantasy QB this season).

Russell Wilson is legit IMO.

We'd be very lucky if Blake Bortles becomes somewhere close to the QB he is.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:... on a run-first team with great defense and good special teams (although this year we are far from last season; we miss Golden Tate as returner and coverage is also worse). Because of that Wilson usually has shorter field than most of other QBs and he can't put up all those passing yards. Pete Carroll doesn't care about them either. He's about efficiency and ball security and Wilson does everything that is asked of him and much more. Behind a bad OL (in pass protection, but I also think Lynch and Wilson make them look better they really are in run blocking) and without a true #1 WR on his team.

Anyway, passing yards are for me one of the most overrated stats in football. They are only useful in fantasy football (BTW, if I'm not mistaken Wilson is 3rd best fantasy QB this season).

FYI you're averaging 2 rushing attempts more per game than Cleveland, hardly a lot to justify why he's below Hoyer. Will be interesting to see what Wilson is like when Lynch goes, my guess..teams start qb containing force him to pass and he will come undone.

But hey I like the guy he's doing well ATM and I probably would say he's a top 10 qb ATM because of his all round game, I just think he's benefiting from a lot of factors which makes him look that good.

Right now Bortles is arguably the worst starter in the league. Why don't we let him develop a bit before this board compares him to Wilson, Luck, Manning, Big Ben ( am I missing anyone)?

Quote:FYI you're averaging 2 rushing attempts more per game than Cleveland, hardly a lot to justify why he's below Hoyer. Will be interesting to see what Wilson is like when Lynch goes, my guess..teams start qb containing force him to pass and he will come undone.

But hey I like the guy he's doing well ATM and I probably would say he's a top 10 qb ATM because of his all round game, I just think he's benefiting from a lot of factors which makes him look that good.

ATM reference has me a bit confused! Lol

Quote:ATM reference has me a bit confused! Lol

Sorry ATM - at the moment

Quote:Sorry ATM - at the moment

I knew what you meant. ATM can mean something else entirely!

Bortles' game could develop past Wilson's. He's shown flashes of his own style of elite QB play.

No one is safe.

Quote:Right now neither is a top 10 QB. I think blake will be, wilson won't in the future. Wilson is 17th in yards in a pass happy league. Hoyer and Alex Smith are ahead of him.... let that sink in.. Hoyer and Smith. Blake is 23rd and only 500 yards behind Wilson.

How about yards per attempt and completion % ?
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Wilson is clearly better right now. But at the same time if Bortles were on that team he'd literally Big Ben 2.0 in not just physical skill set but his career path as well. I bet he'd have won most of his games.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

thats a tall order. Wilson is a top 5 QB in this league. hes just a well oiled machine. i wish bortles becomes anywhere near as good as RW.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:thats a tall order. Wilson is a top 5 QB in this league. hes just a well oiled machine. i wish bortles becomes anywhere near as good as RW.
I respectfully disagree.  He is considered good because he eliminates mistakes, and he has a solid team around him.  When he gets in a bind, he runs.  Sometimes that doesn't work out for him.  When he is forced to throw, he doesn't do so well, some of the time.  It's been very apparent this year.  The team has been getting hot the last few games, however, before that, they were struggling, and it was a lot on Wilson.  I saw why he was a 3rd round pick in some games this year.

I really think Blake is going to be one of the great future pocket passers.  I think his mobility helps him extends plays because of the bad offensive line, but he doesn't just run just to run, like Wilson does.  Blake continues to look down field, and Wilson just tucks and run A LOT.  Blake stands tall, and has a rocket arm when his mechanics are spot on.  The last time we saw an arm like that in Jacksonville was Leftwich.  It's like bullets fly across the field sometimes.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:I respectfully disagree.  He is considered good because he eliminates mistakes, and he has a solid team around him.  When he gets in a bind, he runs.  Sometimes that doesn't work out for him.  When he is forced to throw, he doesn't do so well, some of the time.  It's been very apparent this year.  The team has been getting hot the last few games, however, before that, they were struggling, and it was a lot on Wilson.  I saw why he was a 3rd round pick in some games this year.

I really think Blake is going to be one of the great future pocket passers.  I think his mobility helps him extends plays because of the bad offensive line, but he doesn't just run just to run, like Wilson does.  Blake continues to look down field, and Wilson just tucks and run A LOT.  Blake stands tall, and has a rocket arm when his mechanics are spot on.  The last time we saw an arm like that in Jacksonville was Leftwich.  It's like bullets fly across the field sometimes.

i disagree with that. hes excellent on the run and excellent under pressure. hes great getting out of a bind.

his offense outside of marshawn is total crap. i think thats something a lot of people dont realize.

Quote:I knew what you meant. ATM can mean something else entirely!

Haha Wilson is [BLEEP] to mouth a top 10 qb Smile))