Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will likely finish the season the most sacked NFL QB

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM by BritishJag.)

He's currently been sacked 50 times - 1 sack behind Kaepernick (with less games played), but we have the Texans to play and will probably give up quite a few sacks.

This can't happen again next year, we can't turn Blake into David Carr mk2. They can't keep leaving men unblocked or big DE's against RB's. They need to add more depth to the o-line and keep Blake on his feet.

For comparison, Derek Carr has 21 sacks on the year - almost an entire season. Chad Henne was sacked 16 times in 2 1/2 games.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Oline was embarrassing at times this season ( see Ravens game ).  Hopefully they improve along with Blake markedly this offseason.  I'm encouraged by Bowanko and Linder.  RT was a rotating mess throughout the season so its hard to gauge what will happen there next year.  

Gene's Myth

Quote:The Oline was embarrassing at times this season ( see Ravens game ).  Hopefully they improve along with Blake markedly this offseason.  I'm encouraged by Bowanko and Linder.  RT was a rotating mess throughout the season so its hard to gauge what will happen there next year.  

Add Fisch to the list of things that need to improve.

He did little to help the o-line earlier in the season.

Quote:He's currently been sacked 50 times - 1 sack behind Kaepernick (with less games played), but we have the Texans to play and will probably give up quite a few sacks.

This can't happen again next year, we can't turn Blake into David Carr mk2. They can't keep leaving men unblocked or big DE's against RB's. They need to add more depth to the o-line and keep Blake on his feet.

For comparison, Derek Carr has 21 sacks on the year - almost an entire season. Chad Henne was sacked 16 times in 2 1/2 games.
Does this really shock anyone on here?  and dont say its Bortles fault when Veteran Chad Henne was sacked more than any QB in the NFL prior to being removed in week 3.

Caldwell needs to spend in FA, and draft a lineman with the first or second pick.  I think having an Oline instantly upgrades this team to a 20 point a game offense.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Does this really shock anyone on here?  and dont say its Bortles fault when Veteran Chad Henne was sacked more than any QB in the NFL prior to being removed in week 3.
good point...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM by muddylips.)

Our o-line really is the laughing stock of the NFL! But no one here is going to be laughing if things don't get much better on that line next season and our franchise quarterback ends up with a season ending injury. There is a high enough chance of injury in football even with a decent o-line for a quarterback... but put a very young quarterback behind a sieve like our o-line currently is and your courting disaster. 

Imo, it would've been better to build the line first; then, put in our young franchise quarterback. I'm sure that was in fact the plan! The reluctance to put in Bortles had less to do with Bortles and a lot to do with the ineptitude of our o-line. Should we have left Chad Henne in an not have put Bortles on the field this season? IMHO...yes. Of course, that's all 'water under the bridge' now and a point that has been flogged mercilessly so I won't labor it further.

I just don't know how much can be done over the course of one off season to fix our o-line. Of course some things can (and will) be done; but a 'significant' improvement on our o-line? That will be a tough issue....

I would have no problem signing two starting caliber FAs and drafting Oline in 2 out of the first three rounds. I'd like a young stud at DE in round 1, but this Oline needs to drastically improve.

Anyone who bought that line about the Jaguars being content with most of the starters on their Oline is in for a big surprise I think. Caldwell sees his prized rookie getting blasted week in and week out, and he signed Alex Mack to a 43 million dollar deal last offseason.

I'll be absolutely shocked if there's not at least 2 new starters on the line next season. Bowanko and Pasztor are good depth players right now, nothing else.

Quote:I would have no problem signing two starting caliber FAs and drafting Oline in 2 out of the first three rounds. I'd like a young stud at DE in round 1, but this Oline needs to drastically improve.

Anyone who bought that line about the Jaguars being content with most of the starters on their Oline is in for a big surprise I think. Caldwell sees his prized rookie getting blasted week in and week out, and he signed Alex Mack to a 43 million dollar deal last offseason.

I'll be absolutely shocked if there's not at least 2 new starters on the line next season. Bowanko and Pasztor are good depth players right now, nothing else.
That's kind'a how I see Bowanko and Pasztor as well. Frankly, I'm not completely sold on Joeckel yet either. Things do look pretty grim on our o-line at the moment. Our defense has come around to being at least 'average' compared to good teams, but our offense can't keep us competitive until that line gets better. 

I would further appreciate it if our own 'talking heads' would stop trying to sell us the notion that our offensive line is actually 'not bad'. It must be awful to have to check your 'man card' at the door in order to be a sports announcer/writer associated with this franchise. Sports writers/announcers/talk show hosts who just 'tote the company line' have z e r o credibility as far as I'm concerned. Their just Khan's paid b(bad word removed)es.

16 in 2 and a half games for Henne is actually ridiculous.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Byron Leftwich would be dead by now

Quote:Byron Leftwich would be dead by now

Hahahaha

I know what Bortles wants for Christmas.... Protection.. and not the kind you get in those machines often found in public restrooms.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:I know what Bortles wants for Christmas.... Protection.. and not the kind you get in those machines often found in public restrooms.
they sell those?

Quote:they sell those?

It's up to Caldwell. Hopefully he's not scrooge.

That's why I laugh when people talk about how much better Derek Carr is.  I watched the Raiders play yesterday and dude has time to write a book back there.  He's been sacked just 21 times and he's not as mobile as Bortles.  Blake would have had much bigger numbers than Carr this year with the same protection.

I wish we could find a way to fix this Oline.... Hope this offseason brings us hope.

Quote:I know what Bortles wants for Christmas.... Protection.. and not the kind you get in those machines often found in public restrooms.

Quote:they sell those?

Yes... I usually go back in with a sharpie and write on 'em,  "Don't buy this gum, it tastes like rubber"

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

The line play was horribly inconsistent and average at best. The sacks on us came in bunches.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:Yes... I usually go back in with a sharpie and write on 'em, "Don't buy this gum, it tastes like rubber"
and why was it in your mouth? You know there is an order to prevent tasting that stuff.