Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will likely finish the season the most sacked NFL QB

Quote:That's why I laugh when people talk about how much better Derek Carr is.  I watched the Raiders play yesterday and dude has time to write a book back there.  He's been sacked just 21 times and he's not as mobile as Bortles.  Blake would have had much bigger numbers than Carr this year with the same protection.

Yeah, that Khalif Barnes is da man!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It was late..... I was drunk..though I did wonder for a brief moment why gum needed to be pre-lubricated.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

hold on there folks.  the Oline is fine, remember?  Lags told us so.

The only thing Caldwell has done with this O-Line is make it younger.  He's made it worse in the process (or definitely not better), but younger.

Not sure if it'll pan out.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Will the Jag's FO hire a replacement for Yarno?  I don't know if he is still battling but it would make sense for the Jags to honor his contract in some way and hire a replacement.  The offensive line group SUCKS.

BB5 humbly takes responsibility for half the sacks. About the 4:40 mark. http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...11792d5ab0

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014, 02:33 PM by David4499.)

You have to learn how to take a hit sometimes... might as well be when you are young and have the ability to heal fast.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:I would have no problem signing two starting caliber FAs and drafting Oline in 2 out of the first three rounds. I'd like a young stud at DE in round 1, but this Oline needs to drastically improve.

Anyone who bought that line about the Jaguars being content with most of the starters on their Oline is in for a big surprise I think. Caldwell sees his prized rookie getting blasted week in and week out, and he signed Alex Mack to a 43 million dollar deal last offseason.

I'll be absolutely shocked if there's not at least 2 new starters on the line next season. Bowanko and Pasztor are good depth players right now, nothing else.

Another great post treestone ice , exactly what I'm thinking.

Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014, 11:18 PM by Banatha.)

David Garrard was twice sacked more than 40 times.

Mark Brunnell was twice sacked more than 50 times.

(That's 4 years minimum our line was just as pathetic as today). We still won more than we lost.

Aaron Rodgers was twice sacked more than 50 times. He still won his rings.

Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked more than 40 times an incredible 6 times! He takes a licking and wins.

Randall Cunningham was sacked more than 50 times in 5 seasons. Including one year with 76 sacks(OUCH!). He never had an offensive line, though admittedly he is an asterisk, in that he caused a few sacks himself scrambling around. Still 76 sacks! wow. That (76) total was matched by the killing of David Carr in 2002.

So Mr.Bortles is in good company, he is in the 50+ club. Sorry for the beating Blake. Hopefully we improve with FA. But it's not that shocking or extraordinary, most players in the 50+ club were darn good QB's with relatively long careers ironically.

One more fact to digest, just two QB's have been sacked more than 500 times, Favre and Elway.

It's just a fact of life, good QB's sometimes go to bad clubs, and the winners come through it and make their team better than the individual parts.

Next year Blake, it's your year. make it happen. Playoffs baby!

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM by git'er_done.)

Do you think there's any tension between BB5 and the coaching staff for his taking "bad sacks"?

I'm curious because when asked about the play of the OL, Bradley hasn't exactly been shy to say publicly that he believes Bortles should throw the ball away. At the same time he praises the OL for improvement. Another factor is the recent report out of Washington-land claiming that one of the sources of tension between Gruden and RGIII is a sack he took in the preseason:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...our-tables

Quote:<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">"That's never going to happen again -- my quarterback taking a six-yard loss when he could throw it away," Gruden said, in front of a room of RGIII's peers.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">"Yes, sir," replied Griffin.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">It did happen, however. Often.

Maybe that's a real sticking point with coaches - something that really gets under their skin even more than us fans can imagine. 

Anyway, just curious.

The biggest thing we need to fix the O-line is coaching - bring in a good O-line coach and that alone will be a huge upgrade.  

Would be nice to bring in a Free or Buluga, but highly unlikely that they'll ever hit the FA market. 

Quote:The biggest thing we need to fix the O-line is coaching - bring in a good O-line coach and that alone will be a huge upgrade.  

Would be nice to bring in a Free or Buluga, but highly unlikely that they'll ever hit the FA market. 

The Pack are known for letting guys walk. And they have some young guys waiting in the wings. I would actually say it's more likely than not Bulaga signs somewhere else.

I still think we need to revamp the entire Offensive coaching staff.  It's looking more like Mike Smith may be out in Atlanta, so how would you guys feel if Dirk Koetter made his way back to Jax?  It's not out of the realm of possibility given Caldwell's connection to the Falcons.  I also think Greg Roman might be available later this week too.  Both are probably upgrades over what we have now.

Quote:I still think we need to revamp the entire Offensive coaching staff.  It's looking more like Mike Smith may be out in Atlanta, so how would you guys feel if Dirk Koetter made his way back to Jax?  It's not out of the realm of possibility given Caldwell's connection to the Falcons.  I also think Greg Roman might be available later this week too.  Both are probably upgrades over what we have now.

Roman would be better. I think giving Bortles a second OC in two years (not counting his college time) will hinder his development. Fisch is here next season. 

Ideally a new oline coach would help the offense more than a new OC.

Quote:Roman would be better. I think giving Bortles a second OC in two years (not counting his college time) will hinder his development. Fisch is here next season. 

Ideally a new oline coach would help the offense more than a new OC.
I see your point, but the play calling is just horrible.  No creativity at all.  Maybe he's handcuffed because of the rookies, but this offense is difficult to watch.

Quote:The Oline was embarrassing at times this season
Don't you mean most of the season.  There are only a few games the line has played well

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I see your point, but the play calling is just horrible.  No creativity at all.  Maybe he's handcuffed because of the rookies, but this offense is difficult to watch.

Playcall looks like [BLEEP] because of execution by the rookies and oline.  More deep throws would be nice but it would mean more three and outs.  Less opportunities for Bortles to get it going.

Gotta give it a second offseason and for the rookies to grow with Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2014, 03:11 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Wrong thread again!

Quote:Do you think there's any tension between BB5 and the coaching staff for his taking "bad sacks"?

I'm curious because when asked about the play of the OL, Bradley hasn't exactly been shy to say publicly that he believes Bortles should throw the ball away. At the same time he praises the OL for improvement. Another factor is the recent report out of Washington-land claiming that one of the sources of tension between Gruden and RGIII is a sack he took in the preseason:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...our-tables

Maybe that's a real sticking point with coaches - something that really gets under their skin even more than us fans can imagine. 

Anyway, just curious.

If there's ANY tension between Bortles and Bradley for something so stupid in Bortles' rookie year, Bradley needs to be fired. There was that whole article about how Bradley and Caldwell were slobbering over Bortles for about 2 seasons or something, before getting to draft him. An issue as small, and coachable, as throwing the ball away in your QB's rookie season should not be causing any sort of tension given how long this front office dreamed of having Bortles as their QB.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin