Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
10 Cities that could land an NHL Franchise

http://www.rawcharge.com/2014/12/21/7390...-franchise

Forget about the talk of an NFL team moving to LA. An NHL expansion is more legitimate right now. 

Do any of you think that Jacksonville could ever be considered for an NHL, or another professional sports team? I know it's unlikely, but than again, a lot of people thought that Jacksonville had no chance of ever landing an NFL team in the 80's and early 90's. So what do you think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I guess it's always possible Jacksonville can land another professional sports team, but it is definitely a long shot.

All the cities listed in that link make waaaay for sense than Jacksonville. With the exception of the TB Lightning, hockey is probably better suited up north. It sucks because the Panthers will probably be relocated soon and now I'll never get to go to a hockey game :unsure:

Quote:I guess it's always possible Jacksonville can land another professional sports team, but it is definitely a long shot.

All the cities listed in that link make waaaay for sense than Jacksonville. With the exception of the TB Lightning, hockey is probably better suited up north. It sucks because the Panthers will probably be relocated soon and now I'll never get to go to a hockey game :unsure:

The Sun Belt expansion of the 90's was a bit of a dud. Water down the league. Atlanta already moved to Canada. Florida is probably next. Tampa does pretty well but they have a very strong ownership group.

;

;

Quote:http://www.rawcharge.com/2014/12/21/7390...-franchise

Forget about the talk of an NFL team moving to LA. An NHL expansion is more legitimate right now. 

Do any of you think that Jacksonville could ever be considered for an NHL, or another professional sports team? I know it's unlikely, but than again, a lot of people thought that Jacksonville had no chance of ever landing an NFL team in the 80's and early 90's. So what do you think?
I think the best chance is MLS, and I would love that.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:http://www.rawcharge.com/2014/12/21/7390...-franchise

I think an NHL team is possible thanks to the arena and the *relatively* decent support of minor league hockey here in the past.  Plus you have a good segment of people from the northeast and Midwest who've moved here over the years.  With that said, I don't think we'd be a very likely candidate.  I would love to see an NBA team here but that will never happen, not with Orlando right down the road.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

i would support and become a fan of any major league sport team that comes to town.

I'm surprised that Hartford, CT. isn't on the list of 10 cities by the writer.    Considering that Winnipeg got an NHL Franchise again and Quebec City is being seriously considered again for an NHL team,  Hartford deserves consideration.    There's certainly an effort to get an NHL team back in Hartford.

Quote:I'm surprised that Hartford, CT. isn't on the list of 10 cities by the writer.    Considering that Winnipeg got an NHL Franchise again and Quebec City is being seriously considered again for an NHL team,  Hartford deserves consideration.    There's certainly an effort to get an NHL team back in Hartford.
Hartford was at one point in time considered for the Patriots new home back in the 1990's. Unfortunately though, Kraft and Co. got a new deal with Foxborough.

Quote:Hartford was at one point in time considered for the Patriots new home back in the 1990's. Unfortunately though, Kraft and Co. got a new deal with Foxborough.

I definitely recall that.  Hartford even had a tentative agreement with the Patriots but Bob Kraft exercised an out clause. 

It was very unfortunate for Hartford how this turned out.  Yet,  from a Patriots standpoint,   the success they had since coming into their new stadium in Foxborough both on the field and financially,   has increased the perception and value of the franchise substantially.  In the 20th Century,  the Patriots were viewed as the 4th team in the Greater Boston.   Noticeably behind the Red Sox,  Celtics,  and Bruins.   That's no longer the case.   The Patriots are probably # 2 in the present,  only behind the Red Sox.

The following article has some of the details about what transpired with Hartford's attempt to lure the Patriots:

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/2010/...-hartford/

Maybe MLS, definitely not NBA, NHL, or MLB.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quebec got screwed years ago.  They lost their team which happened to be the Colorado Avalanche (who went on to win a few titles immediately after relocating and making the famous Lindros trade)

I'd rather have MLS here in Jax than NHL.

The city did land a team for the NASL. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Jacksonville Armada! http://www.armadafc.com/

The Armada is a good start to what hopefully becomes an upgrade to the MLS in years to come -- like Orlando.

Quote:The Armada is a good start to what hopefully becomes an upgrade to the MLS in years to come -- like Orlando.
I've heard that NASL would like to do a promotion and relegation with MLS. Similar to how the current Premier League works with its system.

The arena is too small and minor league hockey hasn't been here for years and that was a low minor league..  They ended up in that old skating place off Phillips playing in front of at most 1500...  I went to some games there...

BTW...  the NHL Panthers are playing better and starting to get better crowds...  still a possibility to move but let's see if crowds get better if the team improves more... Lightning gets decent crowds every night...    The NHL has not failed in the south except in Atlanta..  Great crowds in Nashville and in Carolina ( though down some this year due to having a bad team)... 

Quote:I've heard that NASL would like to do a promotion and relegation with MLS. Similar to how the current Premier League works with its system.
If the MLS was smart, they would. IMO.

;

Quote:I'd rather have MLS here in Jax than NHL.
Same here

;

Quote:The arena is too small and minor league hockey hasn't been here for years and that was a low minor league..  They ended up in that old skating place off Phillips playing in front of at most 1500...  I went to some games there...

BTW...  the NHL Panthers are playing better and starting to get better crowds...  still a possibility to move but let's see if crowds get better if the team improves more... Lightning gets decent crowds every night...    The NHL has not failed in the south except in Atlanta..  Great crowds in Nashville and in Carolina ( though down some this year due to having a bad team)... 
The Panthers have a solid young team and one of the best goalies in the game. I hope this is the start of some consistency because I really hope they stay in So. Fla.

Lizard Kings!

Huh