Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fred Taylor and Jimmy Smith should be in the HOF.

I guess Fame is the big word because these players will get snupped because of the small market team they played for.  Both of these players have numbers in the top 10 all time. If these two were a long time member for the cowboys, 9ers, packers, etc they would be first ballot HOF.  I think it would take numbers of such an extreme measure I don't think it's possible for the Jags to have a HOF player.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tim Brown isn't even in yet, it's hard to get in for a WR. Jimmy was great but Brown was better

Quote:Tim Brown isn't even in yet, it's hard to get in for a WR. Jimmy was great but Brown was better
Good point.  I guess the big problem with both is neither has a ring as well.  Brown got close and robbed of a superbowl trip in 2001 against the pats.  The jags couldn't escape Drew bledso in the fog bowl or The mullets in 99.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Tim Brown isn't even in yet, it's hard to get in for a WR. Jimmy was great but Brown was better

Tim Brown is a finalist this year.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 08:55 PM by lastonealive.)

Boselli should be in. This longevity thing just promotes mediocre players getting in, I would rather the guy who was the best at his position for a string of years.

Jimmy Smith should go in but won't. I'm borderline on Fred but I think he was a far superior runner to Curtis Martin who got in

Quote:Boselli should be in. This longevity thing just promotes mediocre players getting in, I would rather the guy who was the best at his position for a string of years.

Jimmy Smith should go in but won't. I'm borderline on Fred but I think he was a far superior runner to Curtis Martin who got in

I hate the longevity crap too. He was much better in 7 years than most tackles are in 14 years. What does that tell you?

Quote:I guess Fame is the big word because these players will get snupped because of the small market team they played for.  Both of these players have numbers in the top 10 all time. If these two were a long time member for the cowboys, 9ers, packers, etc they would be first ballot HOF.  I think it would take numbers of such an extreme measure I don't think it's possible for the Jags to have a HOF player.

Jimmy Smith is 19th not top-10, at least in terms of overall production.  He could have been top-10 had he played a couple more years but he didn't.  For a little perspective, Torry Holt is ahead of him on the all time receiving list.  As far as Fred Taylor, he is 15th all time, not top-10.  He could have easily been top 5 if not for early injuries, but that's how it goes sometimes.

With that said, I think Fred Taylor might make it eventually, he's borderline.  We'll have to see.  Playing in a small market will hurt both of their chances.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Boselli should be in. He was the best LT in the league every year that he played. Besides, they just let Walter Jones in.

'02

I'd take Jimmy over Tim Brown in a heartbeat. Brown played for a long time, and racked up some impressive stats, but her was never a dynamic IMPACT player. Consummate professional about his craft, and tactician on the field... yes, but I don't feel that he ever struck fear in the hearts of opposing teams and their coaches. Jimmy was something special.

This was basically the opening statement to that "A Football Life" special. They got screwed bc of the small market and no one knows about them.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I guess Fame is the big word because these players will get snupped because of the small market team they played for.  Both of these players have numbers in the top 10 all time. If these two were a long time member for the cowboys, 9ers, packers, etc they would be first ballot HOF.  I think it would take numbers of such an extreme measure I don't think it's possible for the Jags to have a HOF player.
I disagree, Jimmy wasn't prolific enough, and Fred although more worthy, is probably a borderline candidate at best.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Jimmy Smith is 19th not top-10, at least in terms of overall production.  He could have been top-10 had he played a couple more years but he didn't.  For a little perspective, Torry Holt is ahead of him on the all time receiving list.  As far as Fred Taylor, he is 15th all time, not top-10.  He could have easily been top 5 if not for early injuries, but that's how it goes sometimes.

With that said, I think Fred Taylor might make it eventually, he's borderline.  We'll have to see.  Playing in a small market will hurt both of their chances.
Agree, when you take out our own homerism, the best our franchise has had is really not clear cut HOF material. Although I do think if Fred had less injuries, he surely would be. Same for Boselli. But injuries are part of the game. And I don't support putting a player in the hall cause he was the best 'one year' or even a couple years. It has to be sustained. Like Manning, Brady, etc. We don't have anyone quite on that level. Hopefully we will someday.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

There is something to be said for longetivity. Of all rushers who played at least 10 seasons Fred is 7th in YPC at 4.6.

To me that is HOF. There also isn't that big a difference in numbers 5 and number 15 in total yardage, so Yards per carry, minimum 10 seasons, should carry as much weight with running backs as total yardage(sorry for the unplanned pun)

Jimmy's case is more problematic. There are 20 other receivers with both longetivity and higher total yards and JS isn't even in the top 250 in YPC.

Fred Taylor missed 55 games in his career and still made it to 15th all time....

Thats HOF worthy in my book.

Fred, yes.  Jimmy, no.  

Fred Taylor isnt able to be selected until 2016.

If Curtis Martin has been able to enter, Fred Taylor should be inducted eventually.

There is more to being a true 'hall of famer' than what is done on the field. I was a great fan of Jimmy Smith, but what Jimmy did off the field imo will forever shadow what he did on the field. I truly hope Jimmy really has turned his life around and will be able to have a good life; but make no mistake, actions have consequences, like it or not.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:There is more to being a true 'hall of famer' than what is done on the field. I was a great fan of Jimmy Smith, but what Jimmy did off the field imo will forever shadow what he did on the field. I truly hope Jimmy really has turned his life around and will be able to have a good life; but make no mistake, actions have consequences, like it or not.

There are some guys who struggled off the field that are in.  Michael Irwin and Laurence Taylor come to mind but there are others.  I dunno if Jimmy with make it or not, but I don't think his issues would be the preventing factor.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Fred has a better chance.  As the running back position is de-emphasized in the bloated stat league we have today, it could help move up his standing.  He has so many jaw dropping runs and the esteem of people who had to play against him.  That screams veterans committee type enshrinement.  Wide Receiver numbers are very very bloated right now and will be going forward.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.