Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joeckel vs other newbie LTs

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 04:07 PM by haveaseat.)

So we give Joeckel a hard time but is it really fair? Look at Jake Matthews, Matt Kalil, Greg Robinson, Eric Fisher and other newcomers at LT in the league. Is he really doing that poorly in comparison? Especially for a guy coming off an injury? Are we just impatient for him to develop quicker?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Considering his injury I don't think people are being patient especially considering how his peers are doing. Fisher was the number one pick and has struggled too. This position has a steep learning curve.

Just because a lot of them are struggling doesn't mean they will all get significantly better.

If these rookies can't play, we will need to get more veterans to man the position.

I think Luke improves next year and becomes an average to above average tackle.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:So we give Joeckel a hard time but is it really fair? Look at Jake Matthews, Matt Kalil, Greg Robinson, Eric Fisher and other newcomers at LT in the league. Is he really doing that poorly in comparison? Especially for a guy coming off an injury? Are we just impatient for him to develop quicker?

It would be interesting to see a PFF comparison on them.

However, a bust is a bust no matter what the others picked at his position are doing. Just because Locker and Ponder are failures doesn't make Gabbert a good QB.

I'm not saying Joeckel is a bust. I agree that more time is needed to determine that for sure one way or the other. But how well the other recent LT picks are doing makes no difference. Jake Long and Joe Thomas both made the Pro Bowl in their 1st year, so it's possible for a rookie LT to do well immediately, and certainly by year 2.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:It would be interesting to see a PFF comparison on them.

However, a bust is a bust no matter what the others picked at his position are doing. Just because Locker and Ponder are failures doesn't make Gabbert a good QB.

I'm not saying Joeckel is a bust. I agree that more time is needed to determine that for sure one way or the other. But how well the other recent LT picks are doing makes no difference. Jake Long and Joe Thomas both made the Pro Bowl in their 1st year, so it's possible for a rookie LT to do well immediately, and certainly by year 2.

Agreed on every point. For the record, PFF:

Joeckel: -13.4

Matthews: -32.9

Kalil: -29.4

Robinson: -16.8

Fisher: -15.3

It's definitely been a rough few years for LTs despite the hype. The only positive-rated LTs I can see that were drafted in this time frame (2012-) are Terron Armstead, Cordy Glenn, and Taylor Lewan. 

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 05:45 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Agreed on every point. For the record, PFF:

It's definitely been a rough few years for LTs despite the hype. The only positive-rated LTs I can see that were drafted in this time frame (2012-) are Terron Armstead, Cordy Glenn, and Taylor Lewan.
I liked Armstead coming out. He was super athletic and ran a 4.65 40. I was hoping we got him

Quote:It would be interesting to see a PFF comparison on them.

Khalil made the pro bowl his rookie year also but has been horrible this year

Crazy the Falcons were rumored to want to trade up with us to secure Matthews.  That notion that Tackles are a safe top pick should be long gone by now.

Quote:Agreed on every point. For the record, PFF:

Thanks for the info.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Crazy the Falcons were rumored to want to trade up with us to secure Matthews.  That notion that Tackles are a safe top pick should be long gone by now.

Bloodlines can add a lot to draft position.

Quote:Bloodlines can add a lot to draft position.
TMD, what are you doing in Sanford? 

Quote:TMD, what are you doing in Sanford? 

Flipping burgers, of course
. Smile

Bwahahaha!

I have been hard on Joeckle and he has played like a bum at times.  LT is probably 2nd to QB as the most difficult position to play.  I hope he hits the weight room hard this offseason.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 07:31 PM by badger.)

Quote:I have been hard on Joeckle and he has played like a bum at times. LT is probably 2nd to QB as the most difficult position to play. I hope he hits the weight room hard this offseason.

Use steroids... take the 4 game suspension like a man and come back stronger

Quote:Crazy the Falcons were rumored to want to trade up with us to secure Matthews. That notion that Tackles are a safe top pick should be long gone by now.
Yeah definitely. There really aren't any safe picks for the most part. Maybe Andrew Luck was but not many others beyond him.

Quote:Bloodlines can add a lot to draft position.

Are you serious? Throughout the whole draft process I did not hear or read one word about Jake Matthews being Bruce's son. For the record, his cousin Casey was not even a first round draft pick.

My problem with Luke Joeckel is seeing Eugene Monroe play better for the Ravens. That makes me think we should have kept Monroe because Joeckel is a downgrade. I remind myself this is Joeckel's first year on the left side because only 12 plays don't count.

Matthews has played much better since he has been healthy

Quote:Are you serious? Throughout the whole draft process I did not hear or read one word about Jake Matthews being Bruce's son. For the record, his cousin Casey was not even a first round draft pick.

JW, you're using sarcasm?

If not, I'll remind you of Eli Manning, and the Jags drafting Marques Ogden in 2003, not to mention all of the CBs who appended "Cromartie" to their names.