Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joeckel vs other newbie LTs

Quote:Are you serious? Throughout the whole draft process I did not hear or read one word about Jake Matthews being Bruce's son. For the record, his cousin Casey was not even a first round draft pick.

... then you weren't paying attention.

I think the thought process here is that good bloodlines couldn't hurt the prospect. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Then you weren't paying attention.

I think the thought process here is that good bloodlines couldn't hurt the prospect. 

No, they don't hurt, but it is obvious to me they don't always help either.

Quote:Use steroids... take the 4 game suspension like a man and come back stronger

Lane Johnson did it for Philly, might as well.

Seriously though, I hope he gets stronger without having to miss four games.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Lane, for a guy drafted two spots after Joekel, has been having a fantastic season at RT since returning from his four-game suspension.

'02

Quote:Lane, for a guy drafted two spots after Joekel, has been having a fantastic season at RT since returning from his four-game suspension.

He's been playing RT. Exactly. RT is easier to play than LT.

Quote:He's been playing RT. Exactly. RT is easier to play than LT.
Question:  Would you trade Lane for Joeckel right now?

Joeckel played RT last year for like 5 games and sucked at it.

In an ideal world - someone trades up to our pick and we get another 2nd rounder in the process.

From our spot (lets say 13th or 14 overall) we draft Brandon Scherff.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Joeckel played RT last year for like 5 games and sucked at it.

In an ideal world - someone trades up to our pick and we get another 2nd rounder in the process.

I'd be estatic if this happened!

He looks like he needs to put on about 10-15lbs muscle weight. 

Quote:Joeckel played RT last year for like 5 games and sucked at it.

This would be good but I think Scherff will be gone by 13.  Would probably need to secure the 9th or 10th pick to get him. Hopefully someone wants Cooper or Williams bad enough to move up 5 or 6 spots.

Quote:This would be good but I think Scherff will be gone by 13.  Would probably need to secure the 9th or 10th pick to get him. Hopefully someone wants Cooper or Williams bad enough to move up 5 or 6 spots.

I think Scherff can drop to the teens at least if he is deemed as not very athletic.  If teams don't find his feet good enough for example, he might be considered strictly a RT and will drop.

Taylor Lewan went something like 10th so I think 13 or so would be reasonable for Scherff.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Lane Johnson helps illustrate the road blocks that young Offensive Tackles usually face in the NFL.   Redskins LOLB Ryan Kerrigan made a number of plays against Lane Johnson as a pass rusher the other day.   That matchup was one of the key reasons why the Redskins upset the Eagles in what was a must game situation for the Birds.

Quote:Question:  Would you trade Lane for Joeckel right now?

No.

Quote:JW, you're using sarcasm?

If not, I'll remind you of Eli Manning, and the Jags drafting Marques Ogden in 2003, not to mention all of the CBs who appended "Cromartie" to their names.

Quote:JW, you're using sarcasm?

If not, I'll remind you of Eli Manning, and the Jags drafting Marques Ogden in 2003, not to mention all of the CBs who appended "Cromartie" to their names.
That was funny. I thought I was going mad every year there was a cromartie starting somewhere, and I couldn't remember if they were the original cromartie who I thought retired, or were cousins or brothers or what. I really don't know how many are playing right now. That family must have one helluva good family BBQ.

Quote:He's been playing RT. Exactly. RT is easier to play than LT.

I guess that explains why Luke was so dominant at RT.....right?

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014, 03:46 AM by haveaseat.)

Quote:I guess that explains why Luke was so dominant at RT.....right?

Dude played only 4 games at RT, brah. 3 of them against the Chiefs, Seahawks and Colts. All playoff caliber teams. Good luck finding any rookie LT or RT handling those pass rushers.

Quote:I guess that explains why Luke was so dominant at RT.....right?
Do you even think before you post?

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:It would be interesting to see a PFF comparison on them.

However, a bust is a bust no matter what the others picked at his position are doing. Just because Locker and Ponder are failures doesn't make Gabbert a good QB.

I'm not saying Joeckel is a bust. I agree that more time is needed to determine that for sure one way or the other. But how well the other recent LT picks are doing makes no difference. Jake Long and Joe Thomas both made the Pro Bowl in their 1st year, so it's possible for a rookie LT to do well immediately, and certainly by year 2.
Shoot, I'd be thrilled with Khalif Barnes rookie level performance from Joeckel.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Dude played only 4 games at RT, brah. 3 of them against the Chiefs, Seahawks and Colts. All playoff caliber teams. Good luck finding any rookie LT or RT handling those pass rushers.

Special agent Utah? Brah!

Quote:I think Scherff can drop to the teens at least if he is deemed as not very athletic. If teams don't find his feet good enough for example, he might be considered strictly a RT and will drop.

Taylor Lewan went something like 10th so I think 13 or so would be reasonable for Scherff.
might be considered strictly a guard you mean