Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joeckel vs other newbie LTs

Quote:My problem with Luke Joeckel is seeing Eugene Monroe play better for the Ravens. That makes me think we should have kept Monroe because Joeckel is a downgrade. I remind myself this is Joeckel's first year on the left side because only 12 plays don't count.

This season Monroe is rated a -12.9 overall by profootballfocus in 743 snaps (61st overall). Joekel is a -13.9 in 942 snaps (63rd overall). Not much of a difference. And Monroe has really struggled the last 5 games; Joekel has played much better than him over that span. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This season Monroe is rated a -12.9 overall by profootballfocus in 743 snaps (61st overall). Joekel is a -13.9 in 942 snaps (63rd overall). Not much of a difference. And Monroe has really struggled the last 5 games; Joekel has played much better than him over that span.

Good stuff
;

;

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2014, 01:17 PM by Markulous.)

Quote:This season Monroe is rated a -12.9 overall by profootballfocus in 743 snaps (61st overall). Joekel is a -13.9 in 942 snaps (63rd overall). Not much of a difference. And Monroe has really struggled the last 5 games; Joekel has played much better than him over that span. 
Good point.

And I remember Monroe struggling not only early on in his career, but he seemed to be struggling with our ZBS as well.

Quote:Good point.

And I remember Monroe struggling not only early on in his career, but he seemed to be struggling with our ZBS as well.

To play devil's advocate, PFF gave Monroe an excellent grade in 2013, but his play has really tailed off this season. Does he bounce back in 2015? Possibly. But I feel a lot more confident that Joekel will improve. 

Very interesting.

Hasn't Monroe been battling injuries this season?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Dude played only 4 games at RT, brah. 3 of them against the Chiefs, Seahawks and Colts. All playoff caliber teams. Good luck finding any rookie LT or RT handling those pass rushers.
But I thought RT is soooo much easier to play than LT? By the way, nobody uses "brah" anymore....

Quote:Do you even think before you post?

I do...that's why my post makes actual sense.

Quote:But I thought RT is soooo much easier to play than LT? By the way, nobody uses "brah" anymore....

Show me where I said it was "sooooo" much easier? Being easier compared to LT doesn't make playing RT a breeze. Especially when you're going against 3 playoff defenses in your first 4 games.

Quote:I do...that's why my post makes actual sense

Maybe if you're intoxicated and lose complete understanding of reality.

College football is no longer producing good linemen. Everyone using spread offence with 3 step drops. Even in the run game it's all zone blocking

Quote:College football is no longer producing good linemen.
Wrong, try again.

Quote:Wrong, try again.

Well they are certainly producing fewer.

Partially because of the change in offensive philosophy and partially because if you have a guy who is 6'6 or 6'7 and is a good athlete, he plays on defense.

20 years ago you had Roaf, Boselli, Ogden and Walter Jones come into the league in near consecutive years. All with Hall of Fame talent and if not for Boselli's injuries, all would have had Hall of Fame careers.

Nobody in this era is even close to them.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2014, 02:41 PM by carlo.)

Quote:Wrong, try again.

OK, college football is no longer producing good offensive linemen. Better?

Quote:Well they are certainly producing fewer.

Partially because of the change in offensive philosophy and partially because if you have a guy who is 6'6 or 6'7 and is a good athlete, he plays on defense.

20 years ago you had Roaf, Boselli, Ogden and Walter Jones come into the league in near consecutive years. All with Hall of Fame talent and if not for Boselli's injuries, all would have had Hall of Fame careers.

Nobody in this era is even close to them.

I'm not saying that any of them aren't great, but I'd like to see how the former greats would function with the way they are 'emphasizing' certain rules now.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

It does seem like O-linemen have not become "safe" picks anymore.

Quote:It does seem like O-linemen have not become "safe" picks anymore.

The notion of OT being "safe" has always been that, if they don't pan out as tackles that you can slide them inside (most of the time) and they can have success as a guard. It's not about the likelihood of their success, but rather have a fall back option should they fail.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2014, 03:22 PM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:Show me where I said it was "sooooo" much easier? Being easier compared to LT doesn't make playing RT a breeze. Especially when you're going against 3 playoff defenses in your first 4 games.

Maybe if you're intoxicated and lose complete understanding of reality.

Quote:He's been playing RT. Exactly. RT is easier to play than LT.

You commented as if the only reason Lane Johnson had success was because he played RT. Then when pointed out that Luke struggled playing on the right side, you backpedal and started going off about how he went up against playoff teams. As if Lane Johnson didn't go up against good pass rushers and playoff teams.

Luke sucked at RT, and he's sucked at LT. There's really no sugar coating it. He just needs to flat out get better.

If we did find a legit LT, i wonder if Luke would succeed at LG?

Quote:Hasn't Monroe been battling injuries this season?
"Joe Louis was 76 years old..."

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Agreed on every point. For the record, PFF:

Joeckel: -13.4

Matthews: -32.9

Kalil: -29.4

Robinson: -16.8

Fisher: -15.3

It's definitely been a rough few years for LTs despite the hype. The only positive-rated LTs I can see that were drafted in this time frame (2012-) are Terron Armstead, Cordy Glenn, and Taylor Lewan. 

Also agree and here are some more comparisons.

Austin Pasztor, who most think needs immediate replacing, comes in at -7.8 significantly better Eugene Monroe's -12.9 for whom the crocodile tears shall ever flow.  Even "pathetic" Sam Young betters Monroe at -8.8. 

I read the stats on PFF often and one thing that jumps out is how much better our defensive team score is than the sum of our individual defensive players scores.  On offense just the opposite is true, the individual scores are not nearly as bad as the team score.  I think this shows the effect of scheme and coaching quality or the lack there of and makes me think we should be rejoicing at Dead Fish's departure.  I think a better run offensive program will make these kids look a lot better than they do now.  Gus may have already made the big move to "fix" the offense.