Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joeckel vs other newbie LTs

I am convinced that the rating process, system and consistency at PFF for OTs is either incredibly flawed, biased, inept, or most likely, a combination of all three.

Some of the grades are utterly a joke. Jake Matthews of Atlanta for starters was not nearly as bad as PFF makes him out to be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Also agree and here are some more comparisons.

Austin Pasztor, who most think needs immediate replacing, comes in at -7.8 significantly better Eugene Monroe's -12.9 for whom the crocodile tears shall ever flow.  Even "pathetic" Sam Young betters Monroe at -8.8. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the season PFF rating a sum of the weekly ratings? If so a full time starter will have a much larger absolute value rating.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I am convinced that the rating process, system and consistency at PFF for OTs is either incredibly flawed, biased, inept, or most likely, a combination of all three.

Some of the grades are utterly a joke. Jake Matthews of Atlanta for starters was not nearly as bad as PFF makes him out to be.

Did you watch the falcons this year?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Did you watch the falcons this year?

I did not, but when I did he got abused like many other rookie tackles. Perhaps it was just a coincidence.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I am convinced that the rating process, system and consistency at PFF for OTs is either incredibly flawed, biased, inept, or most likely, a combination of all three.

Jake Matthews showed promise in preseason and early in the season until he hurt his ankle. He's been just as bad as the PFF score has suggested. 

In his defense, his oline coach has been absent most of his career. He has been taught by a backup who doesn't have enough experience for the role.

Quote:So we give Joeckel a hard time but is it really fair? Look at Jake Matthews, Matt Kalil, Greg Robinson, Eric Fisher and other newcomers at LT in the league. Is he really doing that poorly in comparison? Especially for a guy coming off an injury? Are we just impatient for him to develop quicker?

I think part of the problem is the team had a good Left Tackle in E. Monroe whom was traded to the Ravens because of Luke whom failed to perform even close to as good as Monroe.

The fans were told that Luke was young, and going to out performe Monroe that season and that is why they traded Monroe for the extra picks.

Quote:My problem with Luke Joeckel is seeing Eugene Monroe play better for the Ravens. That makes me think we should have kept Monroe because Joeckel is a downgrade. I remind myself this is Joeckel's first year on the left side because only 12 plays don't count.

He hasn't been better for the Ravens, he's been about the same.. Good, not great, with ups and downs. It helps that he plays for a better team. When you play for a better team overall, fans pay less attention the so-so players. 

Quote:But I thought RT is soooo much easier to play than LT? By the way, nobody uses "brah" anymore....

You sure Brah? 

My trouble with PFF Rankings is that it's still subject to someones opinion. It's just another stat line like Total QBR, and TQBR holds more merrit. I mean I get what they try to do, and it's a cool way to look the game and statistics. especially for offensive lineman, fullback or cornerbacks, but it still misses. You have to take PFF rankins for what they are. Just another stat, they still lie and they can still be used to nit pick and manipulate your view point.   

Look at this list of top pass rusher by PFF. You'll see some good players on these lists, but it tells me that there rankings give partial snapshots, but still don't give any more of an accurate depiction of the game. PFF comes off as snobby hipsters in coffee shops acting like they are the first ones to discover cocoa beans.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...ductivity/