Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bears safety says playing in the NFL is worth having a shorter life

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/16/chicago...%3D583288#

Is Chris Conte crazy or just making an admission that playing professional football causes some men to die earlier? Maybe his comments explain why many players don't take concussions seriously enough.

"I'd rather have the experience of playing in the NFL and die 10 to 15 years earlier than not play in the NFL and have a long life," he said.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Many players have the same outlook as Chris Conte.   Especially when they are still playing in the NFL.   Some have major regrets in the years or decades after their playing career is over.   But not all by any means.

For the players that do have regrets later on in life that they played in the NFL,  the sad aspect of the situation is they don't have enough life experience when they are younger to have made a more balanced decision.

Can he make that statement again in any of these two future events:

-During his lawsuit against the NFL 15-20 years from now

or

-In his deathbed

Ask Andre Waters and Dave Duerson.

Oh. Wait.

Isn't the average lifespan of NFL players like 50-60?

Quote:Isn't the average lifespan of NFL players like 50-60?

I don't know what the average is, but I can't imagine it would only be 50-something.

Most NFL players feel this way.  Especially now, they know the possible consequences of playing football.  The players currently playing would have an uphill battle suing the NFL now.

Can you blame him for his comments? Playing in the NFL is an honor or modern day knight-hood. Its a shame that the risks involved can be so impactful on a player, but that is why they are so generously compensated. Everyone is one play away from a paralyzing spine injury.
All I need is Jaguars football and my dogs

I'd say the same thing if I were an NFL player. Only a select few make it to the NFL. It's a great achievement and privileged and you can potentially set up your family for life.

he wont be saying this when he retires and he wants more money

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014, 01:04 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Isn't the average lifespan of NFL players like 50-60?
Its actually higher than the average male:

Quote:In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “On average, NFL players are actually living longer than the average American male.”

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/chris-conte-i%E2%80%99d-rather-play-nfl-and-die-10-15-years-earlier'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/chris-conte-i%E2%80%99d-rather-play-nfl-and-die-10-15-years-earlier</a>

Now the quality of life is probably horrible after 50 or so with how much punishment their bodies take.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/16/chicago-bears-chris-conte-concussions-shorter-life?xid=aol_home&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl26%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D583288#'>http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/16/chicago-bears-chris-conte-concussions-shorter-life?xid=aol_home&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl26%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D583288#</a>

Is Chris Conte crazy or just making an admission that playing professional football causes some men to die earlier? Maybe his comments explain why many players don't take concussions seriously enough.

"I'd rather have the experience of playing in the NFL and die 10 to 15 years earlier than not play in the NFL and have a long life," he said.

Why is he crazy? Its his life. He knows the risks.

Quote:Conte’s point of view actually isn’t much different from that of people in all walks of life who say they’d rather enjoy the years they have than delay death as long as possible. Some people enjoy skiing, some people enjoy rock climbing, some people enjoy eating junk food. All of those things have health risks, but if a consenting adult chooses to accept the risk, who’s to tell him he shouldn’t?

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Why is he crazy? Its his life. He knows the risks.

Because of this:

But what Conte may not realize is that the risks associated with playing in the NFL are more about quality of life in old age than about taking years off life.

In other words, he needs to remember his quality of life will deteriorate after he retires because of injuries suffered on the field. That is the real danger for former players, not their life expectancy.

I wonder if his grandkids he doesn't get to see will agree with him

Quote:I wonder if his grandkids he doesn't get to see will agree with him

He probably will see his  grandkids. You can be a grandpa before age 50.

Quote:Because of this:

But what Conte may not realize is that the risks associated with playing in the NFL are more about quality of life in old age than about taking years off life.

In other words, he needs to remember his quality of life will deteriorate after he retires because of injuries suffered on the field. That is the real danger for former players, not their life expectancy.
He's just saying playing in the NFL is worth the risk, regardless of what the risks are. There's nothing puzzling about what he's saying.

Using extra large font ensures people understand you!

I agree with him though.  Possibility of fame and fortune or an extra 10 years of eating prunes and a walker.  Show me the money!

Huh

You know it's really no different than folks that decide to be fire fighters, policemen or soldiers. Those people know there is risk involved, but if you have the talent and the calling, live your life the way you see fit.

Millionaire in your 20-30s is worth shorter life. I 1000000% agree

Quote:Using extra large font ensures people understand you!

I agree with him though.  Possibility of fame and fortune or an extra 10 years of eating prunes and a walker.  Show me the money!

That was a copy and paste. The website used an extra large font, not me.

Unfortunately the chances of using a walker at a younger age increase.