Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So how does he get away with this?

So we all know the NFL is rabid about what players can wear while on the field, in the locker room and during press events. Why is there no word about this Browns player wearing this tshirt onto the field during warm-ups? Does the NFL really want to get dragged into this? The Rams have already made their protest known. I don't believe a football game is the place to be doing this sort of thing. If the players or the teams want to take a stand on their own time that's great, but I just don't agree with it being done in the stadium on gameday. 

Andrew Hawkins wears protest T-shirt, Cleveland police aren't pleased

<p style="color:rgb(95,95,95);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.1999998092651px;">"NFL players continue to use their platform to bring awareness to social issues despite backlash from police organizations and some fans.

<p style="color:rgb(95,95,95);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:15.1999998092651px;">This week, it was Cleveland wide receiver 
<a class="" href='http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24774/'>Andrew Hawkins
</a>, who wore a T-shirt reading "Justice for Tamir Rice and John Crawford III" during pregame warmups and introductions:"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The stadium on gameday is the biggest stage these guys have, it makes perfect sense for them use protests like this. And they're doing to pre-game and in a respectful manner. I see nothing wrong with this. 

Will people stop going to (or watching) NFL games because of this or the Rams thing? Nope.

Quote:Will people stop going to (or watching) NFL games because of this or the Rams thing? Nope.
No, but like I said, the NFL is crazy strict about what they allow to happen on gameday and I guess I'm surprised that they haven't got an opinion on this. 

Quote:The stadium on gameday is the biggest stage these guys have, it makes perfect sense for them use protests like this. And they're doing to pre-game and in a respectful manner. I see nothing wrong with this. 
I remember when RG3 got in trouble for wearing something on gameday that was not made by the official uniform maker (Nike maybe?) and other times players have been reprimanded for wearing shirts at postgame press conferences that expressed a personal belief (no it wasn't religious). 

I guess my point is be consistent with the rules. This protest stuff seems to be the only thing the NFL has let slide. 

Quote:I remember when RG3 got in trouble for wearing something on gameday that was not made by the official uniform maker (Nike maybe?) and other times players have been reprimanded for wearing shirts at postgame press conferences that expressed a personal belief (no it wasn't religious). 

I guess my point is be consistent with the rules. This protest stuff seems to be the only thing the NFL has let slide. 
Griffin was fined making a commercial statement against an NFL sponsor, not a protest against a major issue in society. They are not the same by any stretch of the imagination.

I like the Police spokesman's statement in the story.  I'm pretty sure I'm in the lesser crowd.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Griffin was fined making a commercial statement against an NFL sponsor, not a protest against a major issue in society. They are not the same by any stretch of the imagination.
Not talking about that incident. This was last season. He wore something on the field that was not NFL regulation and got reprimanded for it.

Rules are rules and the NFL is rabid strict about them. Until now. Either enforce the rules for all or for none. Pick and choose and you lose credibility.

Quote:Will people stop going to (or watching) NFL games because of this or the Rams thing? Nope.

I'm not so sure about that.   Over 20,000 people support the Boycott of the St. Louis Rams.   The Facebook page is currently down but i believe it had close to 25,000 likes as of a few days ago:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/12/...ge-set-up/#!

Quote:I'm not so sure about that.   Over 20,000 people support the Boycott of the St. Louis Rams.   The Facebook page is currently down but i believe it had close to 25,000 likes as of a few days ago:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/12/...ge-set-up/#!

Well, if people "like" something on Facebook ...

No way to know how many are football fans, potential ticket buyers, season ticket holders, etc. If this were a longer time-frame issue I imagine the Rams would do some serious polling. But, as we think we learned from Aaron Hernandez, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and on and on football fans will let a lot of things just pass on by.

I think the NFL (and the NBA) are wise just to let it be. Also, does the NFL have a rule regarding what is worn prior to kick off?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Well, if people "like" something on Facebook ...

No way to know how many are football fans, potential ticket buyers, season ticket holders, etc. If this were a longer time-frame issue I imagine the Rams would do some serious polling. But, as we think we learned from Aaron Hernandez, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and on and on football fans will let a lot of things just pass on by.

I think the NFL (and the NBA) are wise just to let it be. Also, does the NFL have a rule regarding what is worn prior to kick off?

The Facebook page is now working.   It has over 25,000 likes:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-S...9663570510

My take is that a small portion of the 25,000 plus people will Boycott the St. Louis Rams and the NFL overall.   I'm referring to people that either bought tickets,  Rams/ NFL merchandise,  and/  or watched the games on TV/  listened on the radio.

I don't think there's any league wide rule about what is worn in pre-game warmups.   However,  I do believe there are merchandising related restrictions from the player introductions through the end of the game.  

I'd be willing to bet the ones "boycotting" the Rams are mostly non Ram fans to begin with, so any impact is minimal.

Personally, I DO NOT like professional athletes to express their opinion on controversial topics.

Unless I agree with them. In that case its all good.

Quote:The Facebook page is now working.   It has over 25,000 likes:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-St-Louis-Rams/299599663570510'>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-St-Louis-Rams/299599663570510</a>

I don't think there's any league wide rule about what is worn in pre-game warmups.   However,  I do believe there are merchandising related restrictions from the player introductions through the end of the game.
This is what I was wondering about and why I made my comments. If they don't have restrictions that's great, but for some reason I thought they did.

Quote:Personally, I DO NOT like professional athletes to express their opinion on controversial topics.

Unless I agree with them. In that case its all good.
I don't really care as long as they respect any restrictions their employer (NFL, NHL, NBA, etc.) places on them while in uniform or in the stadium. They're not just speaking their opinion when speaking out. Their employer is also being represented whether they want to be, or not.

In the Army we were allowed to have an opinion on politics and religion specifically as long as we weren't in uniform while sharing it. But it went for most everything outside of the military. Our opinions were not representative of the Army as a whole so we kept our mouths shut until we were off duty and in civvies.

I think most times this is a better thought process. Not everything is about us and our opinions, especially in a work environment, though society these days tells you different.

I'm pretty sure it falls into the "Nothing that falls detrimentally to the league category."..

Of course, the League decides whether it's worth the bad publicity to condemn the act, or not...

Mostly not...

The local Police now... that could become another matter...

As in... no more passes... We charge you with whatever we catch you doing...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:This is what I was wondering about and why I made my comments. If they don't have restrictions that's great, but for some reason I thought they did.

It's a good question.  

As of now,  my answer is the same as what I expressed yesterday.   I'm not sure what the NFL as a league can do to restrict players in what amounts to practice time.   During a game is a different story.   If I come across anything on this subject in the coming days or weeks,  i'll gladly post it here.  

I laugh at the idea that "Like" on Facebook, Tweeting something or Instragramming or whatever is somehow a brave protest support activity.  Just like throwing money at problems, it doesn't mean anything.  Sweat equity is what it is about.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I laugh at the idea that "Like" on Facebook, Tweeting something or Instragramming or whatever is somehow a brave protest support activity.  Just like throwing money at problems, it doesn't mean anything.  Sweat equity is what it is about.

Reminds me of this

[Image: billmaher_flag_on_your_car.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM by CSO14.)

This shouldn't be allowed.  Just as the OP stated, it is representing the NFL as a whole when they lash out like this on the field.  If they were to join the protestors in the streets, that would be a different story.  The NFL should not allow this to happen, if they are reprimanding RG3 for a Jesus shirt he wore to an interview, then they should make all of these "can't breathe" players protestors take it off.  I see no difference in that and the protesting T-shirts.  They need to have them stop wearing these articles or drawing on their cleats.

We wouldn't have law and order if we didn't have cops.  They put their lives on the line everyday for our communities.  When these people don't listen after committing a crime, things like this happen.  End of story.  Seems like you and I are smart enough to realize this because we respect the authority placed upon them.  When they say you are under arrest, you must give yourself up to that point, until they determine the proper course of action.  Our society is becoming lawless, and no one respects authority anymore.  It shows early on with school teachers.  Most teens now a days curse our teachers, and go as far as knocking them out.  Go back 30 years or so, that would be preposterous,

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]