Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags have to lose

I think the point is the higher you pick generally the more you get in return. IE Jets win one more game they have 4 wins, say TB win one by a miracle, 3 wins. We're picking first with 2 Wins.

The Jets finally realise that Geno Smith and Michael Vick aren't the answer, and that Jameis Winston brings so much trouble he will get completely destroyed in NY. So they want Mariota, but they know TB will pick him so they trade up with us, because we know the stakes we can charge a ransom.

It's basic supply and demand.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think the point is the higher you pick generally the more you get in return. IE Jets win one more game they have 4 wins, say TB win one by a miracle, 3 wins. We're picking first with 2 Wins.

The Jets finally realise that Geno Smith and Michael Vick aren't the answer, and that Jameis Winston brings so much trouble he will get completely destroyed in NY. So they want Mariota, but they know TB will pick him so they trade up with us, because we know the stakes we can charge a ransom.

It's basic supply and demand.

Slow down buddy. The Jets finish against the Patriots and Dolphins so I don't see them winning another game. They can't afford to waste two picks just to move up to #1 for a quarterback. If anyone wants to trade up for the top pick, there better be extra picks and/or few holes to fill. BTW Michael Vick is a dog killer and the Jets previously had Plaxico Burress so I highly doubt they would care about Jameis Winston's off-field behavior.

Tampa Bay's last two games are against the Packers and Saints, so I can't predict another win for the Buccaneers either. But if somehow they do beat the Saints (the Packers almost never struggle against crappy teams), they will pick after all 2-14 teams. Therefore they would want to trade with any 2-14 team, not just us (in the unlikely event we lose on Thursday). Do you really think the Raiders will win another game?

Was just saying the higher you pick the more you get, though them winning is unlikely it could happen.

As for "wasting" picks for a QB, look at teams like the Texans, Rams for example's of how much you can stack your roster, without a Franchise QB you will never make it.

Quote:Was just saying the higher you pick the more you get, though them winning is unlikely it could happen.

As for "wasting" picks for a QB, look at teams like the Texans, Rams for example's of how much you can stack your roster, without a franchise QB you will never make it.

Robert Griffin was supposed to be a franchise quarterback. That is why the Redskins traded up four spots to #2. Look at how that turned out. I read Marcus Mariota is like Alex Smith. If that is true, trading up would be wasting picks.

Now you're talking about hindsight. Sure theres a risk of them being wrong about a prospect. But if the Redskins was right about RG3 and he was the stud that he was projected to be, would it of been wasted picks? No.

As regards to Mariota and Smith I have absolutely never heard that comparison before and frankly cannott see it whatsoever, you shouldn't believe everything you read. But I agree, if Mariota does end up like Alex Smith it will be a waste, but we won't know that until after he's drafted.

Quote:If they're serious about rebuilding than this has to happen it about draft postion for 7 rounds not just one and comes with possible trade backs with a top pick or taking the best player and not giving the divison opponent a qb

Wrong.  The culture here has to be the first thing to change.  The players get used to losing and become ok with it.  They need to start winning so a loss becomes painful.

Quote:If they're serious about rebuilding than this has to happen it about draft postion for 7 rounds not just one and comes with possible trade backs with a top pick or taking the best player and not giving the divison opponent a qb

Just like last year the Jaguars "gave" Teddy Bridgewater to the Texans by beating them twice?

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014, 01:02 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:Yep, because teams never trade up for players who aren't QBs, ever.

Miami traded in to the top 3 in 2013 to take a bust DE in Dion Jordan.

You guys have your panties way too twisted on the idea that we MUST pick in the top 2 to have any chance of trading down, but by all means, don't let me stop you.
Exactly, it's so stupid it's embarrassing

Quote:Wrong.  The culture here has to be the first thing to change.  The players get used to losing and become OK with it.  They need to start winning so a loss becomes painful.

The winning culture is there. Right now it is about trust and confidence. I remember after the Redskins game, Gus Bradley said he saw "a trust issue" among players. The #1 cause of losing trust is being told to tank it.

You know, I like winning... But maaaaan, the number 1 pick with trade down options sound so good

Quote:You know, I like winning... But maaaaan, the number 1 pick with trade down options sound so good

You know we can still have great trade-down options from the #3 spot, which would be our pick if the season ended today. But if we get the third pick again, I would fully expect the Jaguars to keep it.

Quote:The winning culture is there. Right now it is about trust and confidence. I remember after the Redskins game, Gus Bradley said he saw "a trust issue" among players. The #1 cause of losing trust is being told to tank it.

What winning culture can a 2-12 team have?

Quote:What winning culture can a 2-12 team have?

Watch the video my signature comes from. That tells me they really want to win and care about winning. So does the fact that everyone stepped up and played better immediately when the Blake Bortles era began.

People aren't saying it's impossible to trade down at any place in the order, what they are saying is nobody trades into the #1 spot unless it's for a QB which we certainly won't be picking. Therefore it's a coveted position to have when a QB-starved team wants to trade, because they know other teams are also going to want to trade with the Jags to get a Mariota or Winston. This drives the price of the trade way up.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

I love how people seem to think that we need more/higher draft picks to turn the record around... especially considering how many rookies are starting/playing in key positions this season.  This next draft isn't about drafting players to fill an immediate need, it's more about drafting players for depth.

For immediate needs, free agency is far more important than the draft.  The only thing that draft picks get the team is possible trade value for a veteran that can fill an immediate need.  A team needs to want to trade up in the draft, and in order to do so they have to be willing to trade a player that can fill a need.

While yes, draft selection higher up does give some leverage, I would rather see the team play out the season and gain valuable experience rather than focus on draft picks.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

High picks aren't near as important as GOOD picks.

This team needs to play hard and get closer together win or lose the rest of this season.

You don't build the group you have by...."playing for draft position"....ie....to lose.

I hate these posts this time of year....I don't want to go to the game tomorrow night and see them lose.

Besides I hate the tacks and hope we put a beat-down on them.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:I love how people seem to think that we need more/higher draft picks to turn the record around... especially considering how many rookies are starting/playing in key positions this season.  This next draft isn't about drafting players to fill an immediate need, it's more about drafting players for depth.

For immediate needs, free agency is far more important than the draft.  The only thing that draft picks get the team is possible trade value for a veteran that can fill an immediate need.  A team needs to want to trade up in the draft, and in order to do so they have to be willing to trade a player that can fill a need.

While yes, draft selection higher up does give some leverage, I would rather see the team play out the season and gain valuable experience rather than focus on draft picks.

You don't think David Caldwell would draft a safety next year? He also needs to pick a right tackle. First round picks are not for depth on rebuilding teams.

I watched the entire 2014 draft and did not hear about a single team using a player to trade up. Sure, it could happen, but they usually just trade picks.

Quote:High picks aren't near as important as GOOD picks.

This team needs to play hard and get closer together win or lose the rest of this season.

You don't build the group you have by...."playing for draft position"....ie....to lose.

I hate these posts this time of year....I don't want to go to the game tomorrow night and see them lose.

Besides I hate the tacks and hope we put a beat-down on them.

Plus we are guaranteed a high pick anyway - not lower than #6. So why is anybody worried about moving a few spots up? The chances of picking in the top five are over 90 percent.

I also don't want the team to get embarrassed at home on national TV. Losing to another 2-12 team when we are the favorites would get any other coach fired.

Quote:You don't think David Caldwell would draft a safety next year? He also needs to pick a right tackle. First round picks are not for depth on rebuilding teams.

I watched the entire 2014 draft and did not hear about a single team using a player to trade up. Sure, it could happen, but they usually just trade picks.

Trades involving players and picks probably don't happen during the draft as much as they do during free agency.  I'm too lazy to look it up and just going by thought.

I don't think at this point you can label the Jaguars as a "rebuilding team" any more.  I believe that the "core" is here and any holes will be filled via free agency.  That's not to say that perhaps a first round pick (or another pick in any other round for that matter) will not become one of the "core" players, but that's not the focus of the draft.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Trades involving players and picks probably don't happen during the draft as much as they do during free agency.  I'm too lazy to look it up and just going by thought.

I don't think at this point you can label the Jaguars as a "rebuilding team" any more.  I believe that the "core" is here and any holes will be filled via free agency.  That's not to say that perhaps a first round pick (or another pick in any other round for that matter) will not become one of the "core" players, but that's not the focus of the draft.

David Caldwell said at the beginning the rebuild is a three-year process. So we are rebuilding until 2016.