Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin smith fined...

Quote:Another thing, I don't think Goodell is as much of a puppet as y'all think. He's got a pretty decent amount of authority, especially on these kinds of issues. You can't honestly tell me the owners are telling homeboy to make Telvin Smith pay 22k for one lousy hit.
I am sure they give him the authority to make smaller decisions like this, but they are the ones that establish the baseline.  If he was doing something that went against the owners, do you really think he'd have a job?  They're the stakeholders here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This fine further indicates what I've been feeling as I E-Mailed the NFL office and voiced my opinion. Fining players $20+ grand for a hit is Ludicrous... Simply Rediculious... Goodall is an Head Hunter himself. He should be fined...

Every since he took over, he's been Money Hungry...

Being respectful while saying the least...

NH3...
Money hungry?

You know all fines go to charity right? 

The commish is not going to go against the owners, I get it. That doesn't mean the next one would be quite the fine-fanatic Goodell is though.

Quote:It was clearly helmet to helmet, but how can you justify fining someone for an accident? Especially fining a rookie, later-round pick 22k. A penalty should suffice. A fine should be reserved for intentional violations.
If I accidentally run a red light I still get fined. You're not fined for what you intended to do, you get fined for what you actually did.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014, 08:39 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:If I accidentally run a red light I still get fined. You're not fined for what you intended to do, you get fined for what you actually did.
Apples and oranges in my opinion, but the commish obviously agrees with your take.

I'd like to see it changed to where a coach can review helmet to helmet hits; if it is deemed to be intentional, I'd like to see the player ejected and given a big fine. For accidental contact though, I think a 15 yard penalty for an accident is quite enough.

Goodell made 50 plus million last year. I'll do the job for half that Wink

Quote:Apples and oranges in my opinion, but the commish obviously agrees with your take.

I'd like to see it changed to where a coach can review helmet to helmet hits; if it is deemed to be intentional, I'd like to see the player ejected and given a big fine. For accidental contact though, I think a 15 yard penalty for an accident is quite enough.

Goodell made 50 plus million last year. I'll do the job for half that Wink
Right, because a coach is ever going to say his guy intentionally hit a player in the head and deserves to be ejected. That's totally not going to destroy any kind of inherent trust between a coach and his players. 

Quote:Right, because a coach is ever going to say his guy intentionally hit a player in the head and deserves to be ejected. That's totally not going to destroy any kind of inherent trust between a coach and his players.

I don't think I was clear, and of course a coach wouldn't do that. I meant that I would like to see players ejected if the ref thinks they intentionally hit a defenseless receiver in the head.

I also think that helmet to helmet hits should be reviewable. If a player ducks and gets hit in the head, I don't think it should be a penalty at all. QBs are often guilty of this too it seems.

I kinda morphed those ideas into one sentence I guess.

That fine is damn close to his entire game check. That's ridiculous for an accidental helmet to helmet.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:I don't think I was clear, and of course a coach wouldn't do that. I meant that I would like to see players ejected if the ref thinks they intentionally hit a defenseless receiver in the head.

I also think that helmet to helmet hits should be reviewable. If a player ducks and gets hit in the head, I don't think it should be a penalty at all. QBs are often guilty of this too it seems.

I kinda morphed those ideas into one sentence I guess.
It's not about intention, it's about protecting human being and the most fragile organ in the human body. Telvin Smith is a 5th round pick and set to make roughly $400,000 this season. For that money he should be able to avoid hitting another player in the head. 

It was helmet to helmet resulting in a player getting knocked out cold.  Whether we agree with it or not, the league is going to throw a fine at that regardless.  It is what it is. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014, 09:32 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:If I accidentally run a red light I still get fined. You're not fined for what you intended to do, you get fined for what you actually did.

Yes, you get fined because of negligence.  However, I would disagree that the helmet to helmet hit that occurred was because of the negligence of TS on that play.

Matter of fact, it looked like he was holding back on the play.  If anything, his behavior is what the NFL is looking to have modeled.

A better traffic analogy in this situation would be that Smith rear-ended Johnson because of extremely icy roads.  There was no negligence, just bad luck.  There would still be implications regarding the accident (ie insurance premium rising - 15 yard penalty), but there would be no "official" citation (ticket - NFL fine)....

But that's just how I saw the play.  If you believe that Telvin was negligent on that helmet to helmet, then I can see why you would agree with the fine.

Agreed, and if it was intentional, the fine would have been significantly higher. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Apples and oranges in my opinion, but the commish obviously agrees with your take.

Goodell made 50 plus million last year. I'll do the job for half that.

I read the competition committee did think about reviewing HTH hits for that purpose, but the proposal did not live very long. Hopefully someday they will revisit the idea. However in college football I have noticed a few players were ejected when it looked to me like the review should have overturned the ruling on the field. Telvin Smith would have been kicked out for that play if the NFL had a similar rule.

Something else that needs to change is the definition of a defenseless player. There is no way you can call Andre Johnson a defenseless player when he is protecting himself from the linebacker.

Quote:It was helmet to helmet resulting in a player getting knocked out cold.  Whether we agree with it or not, the league is going to throw a fine at that regardless.  It is what it is. 

Officials are trained to only penalize players "for the act, not the result." The on-field penalty is 15 yards whether a player gets hurt or not. So why should the fact that it resulted in a player being knocked out determine if the tackler is fined?

If that light was green, then suddenly turned red...then I'd challenge that fine. That's what happened here.

Telvin did everything he was supposed to do as a defender...the light was green, so he kept driving. That Andre Johnson flipped the switch (by lowering his head) and change that green to red should not be the fault of the defender.

Quote:It's not about intention, it's about protecting human being and the most fragile organ in the human body. Telvin Smith is a 5th round pick and set to make roughly $400,000 this season. For that money he should be able to avoid hitting another player in the head. 

And for Andre Johnson who is one of the higher paid WRs in the league, he should be able to take a hit to the body (you know, where all the paddings are) when he crosses the middle of the field. 

Quote:Officials are trained to only penalize players "for the act, not the result." The on-field penalty is 15 yards whether a player gets hurt or not. So why should the fact that it resulted in a player being knocked out determine if the tackler is fined?

The helmet to helmet contact drew the flag.  You do understand that the officials don't levy the fines, right? Not every personal foul, particularly helmet to helmet flags, draw fines from the league. 

Quote:The helmet to helmet contact drew the flag.  You do understand that the officials don't levy the fines, right? Not every personal foul, particularly helmet to helmet flags, draw fines from the league. 

I was saying there should be one fine amoiunt for HTH hits just like there is a specific yardage loss.

Quote:If that light was green, then suddenly turned red...then I'd challenge that fine. That's what happened here.

Telvin did everything he was supposed to do as a defender...the light was green, so he kept driving. That Andre Johnson flipped the switch (by lowering his head) and change that green to red should not be the fault of the defender.
Johnson's job is to catch the ball. Look at the play and you'll see he cradles the ball because he knows he's going to get hit and he's protecting the ball. It is not his job to prevent helmet to helmet contact, that is the responsibility of the person making the contact. How high or low Johnson's head was is as irrelevant as Smith's intention.

Quote:And for Andre Johnson who is one of the higher paid WRs in the league, he should be able to take a hit to the body (you know, where all the paddings are) when he crosses the middle of the field. 
Really? Really? That's like blaming someone who got shot in the head for not getting shot in the body where he was wearing body armor. 

several things about this...

1. I think it has less to do with the hit and more to do with 'who' got hit.

2. if the receiver is bending down after the catch there is no where else to 'legally' hit him. 

3. I can't tell from watching the hit that there was any 'malicious intent' in the hit. The head to head contact seemed coincidental.

This was clearly a bad call on the part of the NFL. Even Texan fans posted and said that they thought this was a bad call. Given the circumstances of the contact, the amount of the fine is even more ridiculous. The NFL is killing the game of football as many of us knew it growing up. Thanks to the pandering to players like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and the like, the game is approaching the level of flag football. 

If the NFL is going to go down this road, then by all means they should open up drafting from the lingerie league. In the Jags case, at least it would give us something worth watching.... 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...