Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin smith fined...

Quote:Non-contact injuries are usually not concussions though. They tend to be soft tissue injuries - strains, sprains, and tears.

Do you have some figures to back that up?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm surprised by the reactions in this thread. It's a clear helmet to helmet hit and the worst kind of too since it was on the earhole. I certainly don't think it was intentional but the fine was entirely justified. 

No it wasn't.  Telvin pulled up, tackled with his head up, and didn't go through him.  Was he supposed to just let Johnson score?  It's stupid.  It's an unfortunate hit, but one that couldn't be avoided because of where the ball was and how Johnson caught it.

I'm sick of these flat fines the league has.  Telvin is not a highly paid guy so for him to be fined that much is crazy.  If they're going to fine these guys, it should be percentage based so the guys who aren't making as much don't get completely killed for hits that can't be avoided.

Fining Telvin $22k is a completely different thing than fining somebody like Suh $22k.

Quote:No it wasn't.  Telvin pulled up, tackled with his head up, and didn't go through him.  Was he supposed to just let Johnson score?  It's stupid.  It's an unfortunate hit, but one that couldn't be avoided because of where the ball was and how Johnson caught it.

I'm sick of these flat fines the league has.  Telvin is not a highly paid guy so for him to be fined that much is crazy.  If they're going to fine these guys, it should be percentage based so the guys who aren't making as much don't get completely killed for hits that can't be avoided.

Fining Telvin $22k is a completely different thing than fining somebody like Suh $22k.
I agree Smith is not to blame in this case and the helmet to helmet contact was accidental and unfortunate. But that is irrelevant because the hit still happened the way it did and the league has been very clear on what its policy is regarding helmet to helmet contact. 

Bummer that he got fined, kids been playing really well.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:I agree Smith is not to blame in this case and the helmet to helmet contact was accidental and unfortunate. But that is irrelevant because the hit still happened the way it did and the league has been very clear on what its policy is regarding helmet to helmet contact. 

Actually, it's completely relevant.  This is one of the few cases where a defensive player did exactly what the league wanted him to do, but because it "looked bad" he still gets the flag and fined.  The league is hypocritical.

If I were Telvin, I'd consider it lesson learned.  Take out their knees instead and let them deal with busted ACL's and such if that's what the league wants.

Quote:Bummer that he got fined, kids been playing really well.

He'll still keep playing well.

It's likely the locker room will have a collection to pay that fine.

Quote:It was helmet to helmet resulting in a player getting knocked out cold.  Whether we agree with it or not, the league is going to throw a fine at that regardless.  It is what it is. 
The question I have is when did he get knocked out?  His head the turf hard, in fact his helmet was fully on until he bounced off the ground

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:He'll still keep playing well.

I wonder if this will happen?  I hope so. If you take his base salary of $400,000 and divide it by 17 you get $23,529. They basically fined him his entire game check. That is wrong for that play. Penalty? Fine. His whole friggin paycheck? That's just wrong.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:I wonder if this will happen?  I hope so. If you take his base salary of $400,000 and divide it by 17 you get $23,529. They basically fined him his entire game check. That is wrong for that play. Penalty? Fine. His whole friggin paycheck? That's just wrong.

Yes, for a player of his pay scale it's a completely absurd fine on a benign play.

Maybe it's something that's passed the league by, but I can recall players saying they'd have a collection to pay for fines if the locker room liked the guy and/or thought the fine was unmerited.

Seeing how Telvin plays I have to believe he's well liked and the fine was clearly unmerited.

It would be very interesting to hear Andre's opinion on the $ amount of that fine and if he believes there should have been one at all.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Actually, it's completely relevant.  This is one of the few cases where a defensive player did exactly what the league wanted him to do, but because it "looked bad" he still gets the flag and fined.  The league is hypocritical.

If I were Telvin, I'd consider it lesson learned.  Take out their knees instead and let them deal with busted ACL's and such if that's what the league wants.
If he did exactly what the league wanted him to do, he wouldn't have hit Johnson in the head. Contrary to what people like to think the NFL isn't looking to eliminate hard hits, they just don't want hits to the head and to defenseless players. Just look at Seattle's defense, they're some of the hardest hitters in the game yet they didn't get a single helmet to helmet or targeting call against them in the last playoffs.

Train them well and NFL players have plenty of talent to be able hit hard and hit legal. 

That's not allowed. 

Quote:That's not allowed. 

Actually it's not allowed for the team to cover the fine.

What the players do on their own isn't something the league can control.

You guys should watch "state of play" on hbo. They had an episode about the NFL safety rules. They have this room with computers everywhere and really do overanalyze every minute detail of a UNR penalty. It was pretty interesting.

Quote:You guys should watch "state of play" on hbo. They had an episode about the NFL safety rules. They have this room with computers everywhere and really do overanalyze every minute detail of a UNR penalty. It was pretty interesting.
There's another really interesting video on NFL.com that describes how the Seattle coaching staff changed the way players tackle and how they practice tackling in order to avoid the head. I can't find it right now it shows exactly how an NFL defense can do a great job of hard yet safe hitting. 

Quote:Do you have some figures to back that up?

No, just personal observation. But I would be interested if anyone knows how to Google it.

Quote:No, just personal observation. But I would be interested if anyone knows how to Google it.

No need,  head injuries haven't been tracked in the past. It's something that league has only recently begun to even acknowledge.

I read fines are automatically deducted from paychecks, so teammates can't pay it for the offender.

Quote:I read fines are automatically deducted from paychecks, so teammates can't play it for the offender.

Yes, that's right, it's impossible for the teammates to cover his fine, because it's deducted from his paycheck... Ninja

Quote:No need, head injuries haven't been tracked in the past. It's something that league has only recently begun to even acknowledge.

What year did the NFL change its concussion protocol? I remember reading about it but not which season they started doing it.