Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin smith fined...

Quote:What year did the NFL change its concussion protocol? I remember reading about it but not which season they started doing it.

If I recall correctly they've only even addressed concussions over the last three or four seasons.

Before that they weren't taken seriously or significantly reported.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Most of these comments are so predictable. I hope everyone feels better by venting.

And very interesting how some make claims contrary to what is right there on video. On video! Do you not think we can clearly see the helmet to helmet contact? Do you not know there is a rule against helmet to helmet contact?

And Okie - where are all those shots taken by Jaguars with no flags which you claim to have seen?

And come on with the flag football comments. Come up with something new.

This is the NFL. They want kids to playing football in high schools in thirty years. You think parents(especially mothers) seeing that video are going to want Johnny out there getting a brain injury so he can claim to be a tough guy?

Some of you may have to switch to soccer.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2014, 02:15 PM by Oklahomie.)

Quote:Most of these comments are so predictable. I hope everyone feels better by venting.

And very interesting how some make claims contrary to what is right there on video. On video! Do you not think we can clearly see the helmet to helmet contact? Do you not know there is a rule against helmet to helmet contact?

And Okie - where are all those shots taken by Jaguars with no flags which you claim to have seen?

And come on with the flag football comments. Come up with something new.

This is the NFL. They want kids to playing football in high schools in thirty years. You think parents(especially mothers) seeing that video are going to want Johnny out there getting a brain injury so he can claim to be a tough guy?

Some of you may have to switch to soccer.

Sorry, troll, I don't have a gif for you, but just this last week Clay Harbor got whacked in the back of the head by Swearinger on the over the middle pass he dropped late in the game and came up slow holding his head.

No fine.

Suh clobbered some QB with a forearm to the face last week. It drew a penalty but no fine. If that was Brady he hit like that, he would be fined twice.

Telvin doesn't deserve a 22k dollar fine for an accidental play if Suh doesn't deserve one for trying to kill a guy.

BS...but not a surprise!

Quote:Suh clobbered some QB with a forearm to the face last week. It drew a penalty but no fine. If that was Brady he hit like that, he would be fined twice.

Telvin doesn't deserve a 22k dollar fine for an accidental play if Suh doesn't deserve one for trying to kill a guy.

Telvin Smith does not deserve any fine at all, actually. I think what the NFL needs to do is hire a sports psychologist who can tell the difference between a receiver protecting himself and malicious intent by the linebacker.

Quote:Telvin Smith does not deserve any fine at all, actually. I think what the NFL needs to do is hire a sports psychologist who can tell the difference between a receiver protecting himself and malicious intent by the linebacker.

A sports psychologist?

Dare I ask you to go on?

Quote:A sports psychologist?

Dare I ask you to go on?

Please do.

Huh

Quote:Johnson's job is to catch the ball. Look at the play and you'll see he cradles the ball because he knows he's going to get hit and he's protecting the ball. It is not his job to prevent helmet to helmet contact, that is the responsibility of the person making the contact. How high or low Johnson's head was is as irrelevant as Smith's intention.

Really? Really? That's like blaming someone who got shot in the head for not getting shot in the body where he was wearing body armor. 

It's Telvin's job to make the tackle. Telvin kept his head up and went low; Johnson put his head down and went low. Telvin even slowed down. The NFL tells these guys that they must tackle the body, but Johnson eliminated that possibility at the last second. Tell us, what should he have done?

Shot in the head? Did the victim run up to the gunman and put his head against the gun? Because that would seem more comparable. 

Quote:A sports psychologist?

Dare I ask you to go on?

What the NFL needs right now is somebody who can determine whether an offensive player is trying to protect himself, in a defenseless position, or encouraging the a defensive player to hit a certain body part to prevent fines like this one.

Quote:What the NFL needs right now is somebody who can determine whether an offensive player is trying to protect himself, in a defenseless position, or encouraging the a defensive player to hit a certain body part to prevent fines like this one.

I'd be ok with the refs using their judgement and instant replay. It wouldn't be too hard; most of the time you can tell by who lowers their helmet first (usually anyway).As for allowing coaches to challenge a HTH call by the refs, it would be cool if coaches could challenge a missed call as well. Say a coach knows his QB got blasted and the ref missed it, for example.

There seems to be a lot of bias towards some of the bigger names in the league. Last week, Suh clobbered a QB with a forearm to the guys face. It drew a penalty, but no fine. If he did that to Brady the NFL would've imploded. I think allowing coaches to review all those type of calls would help balance that out a bit.

On a somewhat un-related side note, I hate that the NFL users older gents to ref these games. In my opinion, younger people who can run and can actually you know, see the field, should be the referees. I laugh watching a 50 plus year old guy trying to keep up with a guy who's running a score in. And don't give me that experience crap either. This is a game that young children play, and these old guys mess up a ton of calls. A little youth couldn't hurt.

Quote:I'd be ok with the refs using their judgement and instant replay. It wouldn't be too hard; most of the time you can tell by who lowers their helmet first (usually anyway).As for allowing coaches to challenge a HTH call by the refs, it would be cool if coaches could challenge a missed call as well. Say a coach knows his QB got blasted and the ref missed it, for example.

There seems to be a lot of bias towards some of the bigger names in the league. Last week, Suh clobbered a QB with a forearm to the guys face. It drew a penalty, but no fine. If he did that to Brady the NFL would've imploded. I think allowing coaches to review all those type of calls would help balance that out a bit.

On a somewhat un-related side note, I hate that the NFL users older gents to ref these games. In my opinion, younger people who can run and can actually you know, see the field, should be the referees. I laugh watching a 50 plus year old guy trying to keep up with a guy who's running a score in. And don't give me that experience crap either. This is a game that young children play, and these old guys mess up a ton of calls. A little youth couldn't hurt.

The problem is officials frequently do not recognize the obvious fact that it was an unavoidable accident. This is like the stupid tuck rule: Even though it was obvious a quarterback was not trying to pass, it used to be ruled an incomplete pass instead of a fumble. The NFL waited 11 years after the famous one by Tom Brady to take that one out of the rule book. If game officials were able to judge a quarterback's intent there would be no tuck rule at the time Charles Woodson knocked the ball out of Brady's hand. So I think someone needs to show officials what to look for before HTH hits are reviewable. Until they learn to just penalize players who are clearly using their helmets to tackle runners and accept the fact that most helmet collisions are accidental, reviewing them will do no good. That is why I said the NFL needs to hire someone who is able to judge a player's intent and train officials in regard to personal fouls. I am all for reviewing HTH penalties, but afraid it will be like college where reviews confirm ejections every time.

As for the ages of game officials, there are some young referees. I think every year I see a first-year referee. And we have seen what happens when officials are short on experience: they do everything wrong.