Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
More Aaron Colvin love...

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/12/10/...-two-weeks

"Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley made a point to say after the Giants game that Colvin is making a remarkable amount of plays for the nickelback position he's being put into."

Future looks very bright for what could end up being a real steal for Caldwell.

Just wait until he's on the outside.  :thumbsup:

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Here is the link http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/12/10/...-two-weeks

It's obviously early, but so far it looks like David Caldwell has to put together a really impressive draft, if Blake Bortles is a hit then it's easily the best draft and franchise history. Allen Robinson is a stud; Marqise Lee has flashed big time playmaking ability. Brandon Linder has been one of the best interior offensive linemen in all of football, Luke Bowanko was a steal, Telvin Smith and Aaron Colvin are nice building blocks on defense. If Luke Joeckel and Jonathan Cyprien live up to their draft status, the 2013 draft will be a hit too considering how well Demetrius McCray and Denard Robinson has played.

Ya know, I think the Monroe trade has to be looked on in favor. It gave us ammunition to trade up to select (I don't remember exactly who but they're both good ) Linder or Robinson, and we still came out with Colvin and Smith, two future studs on defense.

Add in trading BLAINE GABBERT for a pick that turned into a possible long term solution at center...

Add in Marqise Lee who is showing flashes of being the elusive deep threat...

And of course the crown jewel, Blake, who Will grow into our franchise QB.

This draft was stellar. Last year got us some valuable pieces as well (although the class of the entire league last year was lacking). Caldwell is adding talent to this team and Bradley is developing it. Anyone who can't see that is... well, they should see it.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:Ya know, I think the Monroe trade has to be looked on in favor. It gave us ammunition to trade up to select (I don't remember exactly who but they're both good ) Linder or Robinson, and we still came out with Colvin and Smith, two future studs on defense.

Add in trading BLAINE GABBERT for a pick that turned into a possible long term solution at center...

Add in Marqise Lee who is showing flashes of being the elusive deep threat...

And of course the crown jewel, Blake, who Will grow into our franchise QB.

This draft was stellar. Last year got us some valuable pieces as well (although the class of the entire league last year was lacking). Caldwell is adding talent to this team and Bradley is developing it. Anyone who can't see that is... well, they should see it.

I can agree with the former, I'm not at all convinced of the latter. 

Quote:I can agree with the former, I'm not at all convinced of the latter.

Look at the development of:

Marks

McCray

Smith

Branch

Denard

Hurns

Lee

A Rob

Bowanko

Linder

Bortles (although his has slowed significantly since the off-season, as expected)
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top.../?p=388494

Quote:I can agree with the former, I'm not at all convinced of the latter. 
Me either, but Caldwell is doing a decent job in manipulating the draft in spots. Choosing Gus as his man wasn't that bright though.

Colvin is making an immediate impact at nickel.  It's looking more and more like he and McCray will be manning the outside next season. 

O'Halloran seems to think the Jags should try Colvin at FS since Evans is stinking it up so badly there - but when he asked Gus  - the response was "we think he has a bright future at corner."  

McCray (while we're at it) has been great in coverage, but very lackluster in run support and tackling.  I'm baffled as to why he's playing on ST.  He totally whiffed a chance to give Ace a block Sunday that would have sprung him toward the near sideline.

Hopefully they can toughen him up a bit this offseason.  

Quote:Colvin is making an immediate impact at nickel.  It's looking more and more like he and McCray will be manning the outside next season. 

O'Halloran seems to think the Jags should try Colvin at FS since Evans is stinking it up so badly there - but when he asked Gus  - the response was "we think he has a bright future at corner."  

McCray (while we're at it) has been great in coverage, but very lackluster in run support and tackling.  I'm baffled as to why he's playing on ST.  He totally whiffed a chance to give Ace a block Sunday that would have sprung him toward the near sideline.

McCourty, Avril/Houston, KJ Wright and Iupati would be some really good additions to this squad in the off season. Hopefully we can hit on some high draft picks and make a big leap next year to .500

Quote:McCourty, Avril/Houston, KJ Wright and Iupati would be some really good additions to this squad in the off season. Hopefully we can hit on some high draft picks and make a big leap next year to .500
McCourty and Avril would be awesome. I wanted us to make a play for Avril when be left Detroit, but management passed on him. If those 2 become available in FA Caldwell really needs to make a run at them.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Good to see Bradley stating a legitimate compliment.

Quote:McCourty and Avril would be awesome. I wanted us to make a play for Avril when be left Detroit, but management passed on him.

I don't think we know whether Caldwell contacted Avril's camp or not. There was speculation at the time that he did, in fact, reach out.    Regardless, he had an easy decision once Seattle made an offer.  What pass-rusher in their right mind wouldn't want to join that defense in 2013? 

I love the impact Colvin has already had. I really hope he keeps it up and he becomes one of the great late draft picks :thumbsup:

Quote:I don't think we know whether Caldwell contacted Avril's camp or not. There was speculation at the time that he did, in fact, reach out. Regardless, he had an easy decision once Seattle made an offer. What pass-rusher in their right mind wouldn't want to join that defense in 2013?
I never heard anything media wise about us offering but you're right, when Seattle came calling his decision became real easy for him. Now that he's got a ring maybe he wants come play for the home team with a few of his former teammates.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:Look at the development of:

Marks

McCray

Smith

Branch

Denard

Hurns

Lee

A Rob

Bowanko

Linder

Bortles (although his has slowed significantly since the off-season, as expected)

Marks - Has played well this year, but also played well last year. I think the difference is better play at the other tackle spot.

<span style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">McCray - Hard to say since he looked good in very limited play last year too.
Smith - Telvin? He's one of two who have improved over the course of the season.
Lee - He's the other.
Branch - Six sacks last year, 3 in 8 games this year. No improvement. He has apparently reached his limit.
Denard - He was playing with numbness in his hand last year. His 'improvement' may be 100% due to just being healthy. He still can't block.
Hurns - A</span> pleasant surprise find who is playing well. Still, he's not much better now than he was at the beginning of the season.

A Rob - Another recovery from injury.

<span style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">Bowanko - He's playing well, but no better than he did earlier this season.
Linder - Same as Bowanko.
Bortles - is not playing as well as he did earlier this season.</span>

Besides Telvin Smith and Marqise Lee, I'd add Abry Jones and Ryan Davis as players who have clearly improved this year. Do they balance out declines in Cyprien, Gratz, Sanders, Shorts, Brown, Pasztor, and Joeckel? With a young team I'd expect many more improvements than declines.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Marks - Has played well this year, but also played well last year. I think the difference is better play at the other tackle spot.

McCray - Hard to say since he looked good in very limited play last year too.

Smith - Telvin? He's one of two who have improved over the course of the season.

Lee - He's the other.

Branch - Six sacks last year, 3 in 8 games this year. No improvement. He has apparently reached his limit.

Denard - He was playing with numbness in his hand last year. His 'improvement' may be 100% due to just being healthy. He still can't block.

Hurns - A

pleasant surprise find who is playing well. Still, he's not much better now than he was at the beginning of the season.

A Rob - Another recovery from injury.

Bowanko - He's playing well, but no better than he did earlier this season.

Linder - Same as Bowanko.

Bortles - is not playing as well as he did earlier this season.

Besides Telvin Smith and Marqise Lee, I'd add Abry Jones and Ryan Davis as players who have clearly improved this year. Do they balance out declines in Cyprien, Gratz, Sanders, Shorts, Brown, Pasztor, and Joeckel? With a young team I'd expect many more improvements than declines.
Marks- I think Marks is helping the other DT's play and is playing at a higher level than last year

McCray- 1st year as a starter, has been top DB in coverage according to PFF

Smith- obvious improvement

Lee- light has come on, obvious improvement

Branch- not even a Caldwell guy, he is what he is now at this point

Denard- say what you want, he has played way better this year than last year

Hurns- undrafted rookie, I think hes become more reliable these past couple of weeks

A Rob- we will see

Bowanko and Linder- they are playing better than earlier in the year, Linder has been playing at a high level for a rookie these past couple of weeks, it was obvious we missed him against Dallas

Bortles- tale of the rookie QB, comes in and plays good, hits a wall, finally starts adjusting, play finally starts to trend upward.  Bortles's play hasn't declined.  NFL DCs finally got film on him and adjusted, now we are seeing Bortles adjust a little bit.

I think Cyp is trying to simply do too much, I think the football people know we need another safety next to him. I don't think his play has leveled off. Gratz is a guy whose play has leveled off a little bit, although I think a new FS would do wonders for him too. Sanders hasn't declined, he doesn't play anymore because we have more talented WRs.  He is also where he should be in the role of a punt returner.  Shorts has been who he is, I think he's been a guy who has been overrated by people on this board.  

Brown? As in Mike Brown? There isn't even a Brown on the current roster, so I don't know why you included his name. Paztor has also battled injuries this entire year, he has been an average RT.  He was also an average RT last year.  

As for Joeckel, how has his play declined? He's been at pretty much the same level this entire year.  This is his first year in the LT role, also it takes most LTs more than one year to reach a good level of play.  For instance, Eugene Monroe.  I remember being at the Eagles game here in 2010 and watching Trent Cole destroy him. His play climbed the next couple of seasons after ward.  Be patient with Joeckel.  Hes playing the second hardest position in the NFL.  

To conclude, the players you listed all haven't declined.  Id give you Cyp and Gratz, but I think they can relax if we give them help this offseason.  It's also hard to say 1st and 2nd year players have leveled off when they are already inconsistent players and trying to establish their level of play.  This is why drafts are judged after three years.  Not after 1 or 2 seasons.

Quote:I think Cyp is trying to simply do too much, I think the football people know we need another safety next to him. I don't think his play has leveled off. Gratz is a guy whose play has leveled off a little bit, although I think a new FS would do wonders for him too. Sanders hasn't declined, he doesn't play anymore because we have more talented WRs.  He is also where he should be in the role of a punt returner.  Shorts has been who he is, I think he's been a guy who has been overrated by people on this board.  

Brown? As in Mike Brown? There isn't even a Brown on the current roster, so I don't know why you included his name. Paztor has also battled injuries this entire year, he has been an average RT.  He was also an average RT last year.  

As for Joeckel, how has his play declined? He's been at pretty much the same level this entire year.  This is his first year in the LT role, also it takes most LTs more than one year to reach a good level of play.  For instance, Eugene Monroe.  I remember being at the Eagles game here in 2010 and watching Trent Cole destroy him. His play climbed the next couple of seasons after ward.  Be patient with Joeckel.  Hes playing the second hardest position in the NFL.  

To conclude, the players you listed all haven't declined.  Id give you Cyp and Gratz, but I think they can relax if we give them help this offseason.  It's also hard to say 1st and 2nd year players have leveled off when they are already inconsistent players and trying to establish their level of play.  This is why drafts are judged after three years.  Not after 1 or 2 seasons.

Your assessments of the list agree pretty closely with mine, so let me move on to the declines.

Cyp was playing better at the end of last year, and the beginning of this one, than he is now. Since he has the same FS he did last year that's not the reason.

Gratz has clearly declined. He was very good last year, this year he has been torched repeatedly.

Sanders is getting less play because of the rookies, but he was pretty good as a receiver last year, and has shown nothing when he has played this season. He also sucks as a punt returner, but I think that's always been the case.

Shorts wasn't a drop machine last year like he has been this year. That's a decline.

Yes Mike Brown. He was pretty good last year, but did nothing when given the opportunity this year due to injuries, and was recently cut. I'd call that a decline. You could make the argument that neither Brown nor Sanders have had enough play this year to accurately evaluate them. Maybe that's true.

I thought Joeckel was playing better earlier this season. Maybe that was just due to the opponents exploiting the hole at RT. In any case he hasn't improved over the course of the season. Pasztor was much better last year. No one was calling for a free agent RT to replace him like they are this year. Frankly, I'm hoping that it's due to injury, that he heals completely and gets back to his 2013 level of play. I just have a hard time believing that a hand injury that had six weeks (and more) to heal is the difference.

We'll know more by next year. In the meantime, I'm disappointed in the player development so far.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Your assessments of the list agree pretty closely with mine, so let me move on to the declines.

Cyp was playing better at the end of last year, and the beginning of this one, than he is now. Since he has the same FS he did last year that's not the reason.

Gratz has clearly declined. He was very good last year, this year he has been torched repeatedly.

Sanders is getting less play because of the rookies, but he was pretty good as a receiver last year, and has shown nothing when he has played this season. He also sucks as a punt returner, but I think that's always been the case.

Shorts wasn't a drop machine last year like he has been this year. That's a decline.

Yes Mike Brown. He was pretty good last year, but did nothing when given the opportunity this year due to injuries, and was recently cut. I'd call that a decline. You could make the argument that neither Brown nor Sanders have had enough play this year to accurately evaluate them. Maybe that's true.

I thought Joeckel was playing better earlier this season. Maybe that was just due to the opponents exploiting the hole at RT. In any case he hasn't improved over the course of the season. Pasztor was much better last year. No one was calling for a free agent RT to replace him like they are this year. Frankly, I'm hoping that it's due to injury, that he heals completely and gets back to his 2013 level of play. I just have a hard time believing that a hand injury that had six weeks (and more) to heal is the difference.

We'll know more by next year. In the meantime, I'm disappointed in the player development so far.
Mike Brown is a Gene guy that was a ridiculous long shot to make any roster.  He dropped a ton of passes last year too and had only two decent games, ever.  Ridiculous to include. 

Sanders missed camp and 4 games. 

Joeckel had screws keeping his foot attached to his leg during the offseason. 

None of those guys belong on this "declined" list of yours. 

Quote:Colvin is making an immediate impact at nickel.  It's looking more and more like he and McCray will be manning the outside next season. 

I wouldn't mind adding a starting corner in the draft, and moving McCray to nickel.

Quote:Marks - Has played well this year, but also played well last year. I think the difference is better play at the other tackle spot.

<span style="background-color:rgb(247,247,247);font-size:12px;">McCray - Hard to say since he looked good in very limited play last year too.</span>

Bradley doesn't get credit for developing them last year too? Marks never had more than 1.5 sacks before last year and McCray is a 7th round pick who seems to be developed into a starting caliber CB.

I'd like to see more development on offense but Gus has done a nice job overall with the defense.