Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
O-Line Personnel May Not Change (according to O'Halloran)

Many posters here are calling for broad-sweeping changes along the O-line.  If you believe Ryan O'Halloran - that probably won't happen. 

Quote:Get used to the group that started seven games together this year — left tackle Luke Joeckel, left guard Zane Beadles, center Luke Bowanko, right guard Brandon Linder and possibly right tackle Austin Pasztor.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">All but Pasztor should be considered locks to start next year’s opener.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Jaguars should sign a mid-level free agent to compete with Pasztor. He gave up five sacks in eight games and will spend the next few months rehabilitating a ruptured hamstring sustained in the Giants game.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">A look at the group:

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">JOECKEL 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Jaguars stress — both publicly and behind the scenes — how he’s really in his first NFL season playing left tackle. He played 12 snaps there last year before breaking his ankle and has started all 14 games this season.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Thankfully, the statute of limitations on that excuse/storyline is just about expired.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">In my game-charting, I have Joeckel responsible for eight sacks this year. The jury remains out on Joeckel, which is understandable. Next year is huge for him.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">BEADLES 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">He was this administration’s first big free agent signing (five years, $30 million, $12.45 million guaranteed, last March).

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Beadles has been decent in pass protection and has only two penalties. He is the only player on offense to play every snap.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">An instant leader by default, Beadles’ play has steadied after a rocky first month that included a transition to a new blocking scheme.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">BOWANKO 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">He would have started the opener if it weren’t for a preseason ankle injury. And he appears to be a steal … and make up for the organization’s miscalculation on thinking Mike Brewster was the answer.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">It looks like he knows how to hold without being penalized and the big thing is that you don’t see him getting pushed back by a bull rush.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">A steal of a pick in the sixth round.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">LINDER 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Jaguars traded up to take him in the third round and he was a Week 1 starter. He has missed one game because of a shoulder injury.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Linder’s had two rough games (three sacks against Washington and two against Tennessee), but he has definitely improved and more than held his own against Houston’s J.J. Watt on Sunday.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">PASZTOR 

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The Jaguars converted him from guard to tackle during the 2013 offseason and he became the right tackle once Joeckel moved to the left side, got hurt and Cam Bradfield slid over.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Last year, Pasztor showed enough that even though he underwent shoulder surgery that kept him out until camp this summer, he was the no-doubt starter. But more injuries — a broken hand that required surgery in mid-August (he missed the first four games) and then the aforementioned hamstring injury (which also needed an operation). That’s three surgeries in less than a year.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Availability has been a huge factor in some of the decisions made by general manager Dave Caldwell, as linebacker Daryl Smith, cornerback Derek Cox, left guard Will Rackley and running backs Maurice Jones-Drew and Justin Forsett were allowed to walk or were cut after injury-plagued seasons.

<p style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Pasztor is a restricted free agent and I expect the Jaguars to tender him, but also bring in solid competition for his spot.

Personally, I'd like to see at least two mid-tier (or better) free agents added for competition as well as a 4th or 5th round pick. Hopefully Caldwell can find a FA or two worth the effort in what seems to be a lackluster crop.    

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not expecting broad sweeping changes as our line is generally young and still developing, but I do expect us to take an o-lineman higher in next years draft than you suggest and possibly add another quality free agent for depth/competition.

Quote:Many posters here are calling for broad-sweeping changes along the O-line.  If you believe Ryan O'Halloran - that probably won't happen. 

That's exactly my thoughts on the OL.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Well can't blame him for doubling down on his guys but if it doesn't pan out there will be no excuses next year.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We def need depth but for starters...

Between what I think will happen and what I'd like to see happen I think the starters are...

LT Joeckel

LG Beadles

C Bowanko

RG Linder

RT Need someone here!

In all reality, if we could find a top tier RT who can dominate his man like Linder than the right side of our line would be awesome!

I think it'll be fun to see what Joeckel, Bowanko and Linder can do next year with a full off-season of NFL caliber conditioning and learning more of their techniques/craft and the mental part of the game (improve communication).

That's on Caldwell and Bradley. If it doesn't work, like O'Halloran said "thankfully, the statute of limitations on that excuse/storyline is just about expired." Even he is tired of hearing about it. See all these excuses or reasons like the apologist like to say will be invalid. So glad this youth and rookies narrative goes out the window and sucess will be the only barometer for this team next year. I don't see that line protecting Bortles too well next year either but we'll see.

Outside Linder, they're all questionmarks

I think the offensive line will only see a new RT this off season. Or at least competition for it. The 2016 NFL draft I would like to have Beadles replaced with Vadal Alexander the LG from LSU. He could come out this year, but will probably stay 1 more year.

I'm okay with Pasztor sticking around as the starting RT provided he focuses this offseason on getting stronger so he can stay healthy. Linder seems to be progressing just fine. As for Bowanko, he gets a lot of love but I still have questions and can see his position being upgraded. Really the area that needs the most work is the left side with Joekel and Beadles. I don't see us changing either starter next year, but these two have to start playing together at a far higher level.

'02

Assuming these guys will improve with age is a huge risk that I wouldn't take.   If they don't improve with age, we will go through another very painful year where we cannot run the ball or protect the passer.   I know Bortles is supposed to me mentally tough, but a young QB cannot go through 2 years of getting sacked to death and not be damaged either mentally or physically.  

So I personally do not understand why they would take that risk.   Why not take what is the worst position group on the team and turn it into the best position group on the team?   If they would do only that that this offseason, I could see us winning 7 or 8 games next year.  Because the offensive line is so critical to the performance of a team, it makes everything else work, even helping the defense immensely. 

I was watching Green Bay play the other night, and Aaron Rodgers was standing in the pocket looking, looking, looking.  If you watch any of these great QBs and great teams, you see outstanding offensive line play.  Why would Dave and Gus risk their careers on this bunch?   I don't get it. 

Quote:I'm okay with Pasztor sticking around as the starting RT provided he focuses this offseason on getting stronger so he can stay healthy. Linder seems to be progressing just fine. As for Bowanko, he gets a lot of love but I still have questions and can see his position being upgraded. Really the area that needs the most work is the left side with Joekel and Beadles. I don't see us changing either starter next year, but these two have to start playing together at a far higher level.

see i love bowanko. 

He is fantastic at getting to the second level and a number of our big runs including the robinson td in london was because bowanko has chipped blocked his man and has got up on the linebacker to open up the gap. I haven't seen him beaten badly in pass pro though I am sure he has been however it certainly hasn't been noticeable to me

Alot of what bowanko needs to learn is similar to bortles, he needs to learn protections and that will come with time and experience with the nfl. Added a good centre qb bond is always useful and that trust comes through time

From a physical side I think his main focus on this off season is quite simply getting stronger. He clears linebackers well however he needs to bulk up to allow him to clear 300 pounders at the point of attack which I feel is his main weakness.

I think he is upgradable if you get the opportunity to sing alex mack but realistically I think it is far better to give him time to develop as though he may never be a mack i think he could compare to matt kalil or wisniewski (the oakland centre) who are both considered solid in the nfl

At the very least i feel (like pasztor last year) his play deserves another year to keep improving

Oh what the heck does O'Halloran know....

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014, 07:24 AM by EricC85.)

Quote:Assuming these guys will improve with age is a huge risk that I wouldn't take. If they don't improve with age, we will go through another very painful year where we cannot run the ball or protect the passer. I know Bortles is supposed to me mentally tough, but a young QB cannot go through 2 years of getting sacked to death and not be damaged either mentally or physically.

So I personally do not understand why they would take that risk. Why not take what is the worst position group on the team and turn it into the best position group on the team? If they would do only that that this offseason, I could see us winning 7 or 8 games next year. Because the offensive line is so critical to the performance of a team, it makes everything else work, even helping the defense immensely.

I was watching Green Bay play the other night, and Aaron Rodgers was standing in the pocket looking, looking, looking. If you watch any of these great QBs and great teams, you see outstanding offensive line play. Why would Dave and Gus risk their careers on this bunch? I don't get it.
It's all about the scheme, for better or worse Gus and David are building the line to run the zone blocking. Their theory must be they need stability at the positions to implement the zone blocking.

I agree it's a huge risk and personally I think it's going to blow up on our faces. Relying on these guys to develop and improve because of a scheme, is also relying on all 5 staying healthy. Once someone gets injured you're back to square one with a new guy trying to learn the scheme under live fire.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I only expected a veteran at right tackle anyway. I could still see them drafted one or two linemen. Not immediate starters but depth guys for now.

;

;

So what happens next offseason when Mack is available again? Do we upgrade Bowanko even if he continues progressing and playing well?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

There will be good options for ROT when the Jaguars choose in round 2 and possibly even round 3 of the 2015 draft.

2013 Rotoworld ranked Jaguars Offensive line at 25 in the NFL

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (5)

2012 Run Block Rankings: 21, 18

2012 Pass Block Rankings: 30, 22

LT: Eugene Monroe

LG: Will Rackley*

C: Brad Meester

RG: Uche Nwaneri

RT: Luke Joeckel*

Super Sub: G/C Mike Brewster

Overview: The presence of Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle Monroe, healthy return of 2011 rookie starter Rackley, and addition of Joeckel give Jacksonville's offensive line some credibility, even if it remains a probable bottom-ten unit. Longtime center Meester turned 36 in March and Nwaneri is recovering from knee surgery. Rackley missed all of last season with a severe high ankle sprain that required surgery. While this line should be better now, it's hard to forget that Jacksonville allowed the third most sacks in football (50) last season and ranked 24th in yards per rushing attempt (3.82). Still, there are reasons to believe this front five can at least be serviceable enough to give the Jags a puncher's chance of playing competitive offense, assuming they keep Maurice Jones-Drew healthy and somehow scrounge together passable quarterback play.

--------------------

In june of 2014 bleacher report ranked Jaguars at #31 in the NFL with Oline

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20998...rts/page/3

Joeckel missed 11 games in his rookie season with an ankle injury, but he was starting to show major flashes before that time. And now that he's back at his natural position of left tackle, he'll shine. Joeckel, at the time he was drafted, had the highest grade I had ever given an offensive tackle.

The Jaguars have plenty of potential here, and right tackle Austin Pasztor is a fun young guy to watch down the road, but this group is still trying to find chemistry and consistency. Rookie Brandon Linder, a third-round pick, doesn't add much, given his predraft grade at 259 overall.

------------------------------------------

So.... what do you think most would grade the current Jaguars OLine at in the NFL?

Watch us focus on the defense in Free Agency and draft.  We really only need growth on offense right?

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

The Defense has problems too, obiviously at Free Safety (biggest concern), CB, and the team will need an ILB as Poz is getting older.... along with a true speed demon at DE....

The problem is the Offense is so much worse... they really need a true Oline coach to start off with.... better conditioning too many injuries... and more talent on the line....

[Image: 120714-NFL-Jaguars-Blake-Bortles-pi-ssm....dium.0.jpg]