Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
O-Line Personnel May Not Change (according to O'Halloran)

Quote:If they had no plans of keeping Monroe, why didn't they trade him during that draft?

You really don't know jack squat about this team you're supposedly a fan of.

Please, if you know nothing... just stop typing.

About the Monroe trade...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comments...onference/

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Q: How important has the relationship been in those conversations - you having a relationship with the GM?

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">D: Yeah, very important. In fact, the Eugene Monroe trade happened because I have a good relationship with the people in Baltimore. So sometimes when you're at a school, visiting, or you're just calling to see how they're family's doing, and then all of a sudden - 'hey, did you have any thoughts about coming up to 3?' 'What would it take?' and then we talk about that. It helps, but I think as we get into the beginning of next week and closer to the draft, teams that have real interest in trading up, we'll reach out.

You can take from that, that there wasn't interest in Monroe around the league until it came up in conversation with Baltimore.

You're going to have difficulty moving a player when there's little or no interest around the league.  Dave's always willing to listen, were there any serious offers.  Listening being something you wouldn't understand.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:sounds similar to jason peters.

Athletic like Tyron Smith

How about Bobby Hart from FSU (the right tackle)?  He's not going to be a 1st round pick probably but would provide an instant upgrade

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014, 04:36 PM by badger.)

Quote:You really don't know jack squat about this team you're supposedly a fan of.

Please, if you know nothing... just stop typing.

About the Monroe trade...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comments...onference/

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Q: How important has the relationship been in those conversations - you having a relationship with the GM?

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">D: Yeah, very important. In fact, the Eugene Monroe trade happened because I have a good relationship with the people in Baltimore. So sometimes when you're at a school, visiting, or you're just calling to see how they're family's doing, and then all of a sudden - 'hey, did you have any thoughts about coming up to 3?' 'What would it take?' and then we talk about that. It helps, but I think as we get into the beginning of next week and closer to the draft, teams that have real interest in trading up, we'll reach out.

You can take from that, that there wasn't interest in Monroe around the league until it came up in conversation with Baltimore.

You're going to have difficulty moving a player when there's little or no interest around the league.  Dave's always willing to listen, were there any serious offers.  Listening being something you wouldn't understand.

Oh boy, more press conference quotes that are always 100% accurate.

I find it hard to believe that Monroe, as good as he was playing, generated no interest around the league.  You are making it sound like Baltimore felt bad for us, so they traded for Monroe.

Seriously, pipe down.  You don't have to get offended and take jabs at me after everything I say.

Plus this little argument started because FBT was saying that the Jaguars had no intention of keeping Monroe right when they drafted Joeckel.  I don't think that was really the case. 

Your quote actually proves my point.  If this was just a buddy trade that came up willy nilly, then that sounds to me like trade talks for Monroe were not happening during that draft.  Meaning they did not initially want to trade Monroe and wanted to keep Joeckel at RT.

Quote:And therein lies the problem...so far right now, it looks like we got rid of Monroe to draft his replacement...including the growing pains of what we already went through with Eugene. If Luke is actually playing well and stonewalling that left side, then people would be more forgiving of Eugene being traded.

This is an excellent point.

Quote:Oh boy, more press conference quotes that are always 100% accurate.

I find it hard to believe that Monroe, as good as he was playing, generated no interest around the league.  You are making it sound like Baltimore felt bad for us, so they traded for Monroe.

Seriously, pipe down.  You don't have to get offended and take jabs at me after everything I say.

Plus this little argument started because FBT was saying that the Jaguars had no intention of keeping Monroe right when they drafted Joeckel.  I don't think that was really the case. 

Your quote actually proves my point.  If this was just a buddy trade that came up willy nilly, then that sounds to me like trade talks for Monroe were not happening during that draft.  Meaning they did not initially want to trade Monroe and wanted to keep Joeckel at RT.

we still wound up with 2 players who look like theyre gonna be good (one maybe moreso than the other)

and if we recall the time of the trade, everyone around here was calling for monroe to be traded... i think i remember reading a trade approval poll somewhere where 65% said they approved of the trade.

now in hindsight hes playing fairly well in baltimore and people think we could have kept him. he wasnt going to stay. maybe there was interest, maybe there wasnt, but he would have wound up being a free agent and he wasnt going to stay here.

also idk why you wouldnt just believe monroe, its not a coach trying to hide anything.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I don't have an issue with the Monroe trade because nobody here would be saying a peep if Joekel were playing up to expectations. That said, I'm sure the team would have been able to convince Monroe to stick around had the trade not happened.

'02

Yep --- that pretty much says it all.  We thought we had the LT of the next 10 years so Monroe became expendable.

Plus this little argument started because FBT was saying that the Jaguars had no intention of keeping Monroe right when they drafted Joeckel. 
I don't think that was really the case. 

Actually, I am pretty sure he was saying the company line that a RT is as important as a left tackle at the time. I remember a lot of that on the board.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014, 06:50 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Actually, I am pretty sure he was saying the company line that a RT is as important as a left tackle at the time. I remember a lot of that on the board.
I still think it is, as we have seen of late

That's not what I said, but I won't challenge your reading comprehension skills.

The Jaguars drafted Joeckel to play LT.  They knew they'd have to make a decision on Monroe because he was in a contract year, and they weren't going to give him the contract of a starting left tackle to play on the other side of the line.  They knew he'd walk in free agency at the end of the season, and they made the decision to pull the trigger on a trade to get something for him while they could. 

Feel free to twist that into something more than what I actually said.  I'll wait.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

[Image: disappointment.jpg]

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:That's not what I said, but I won't challenge your reading comprehension skills.

The Jaguars drafted Joeckel to play LT.  They knew they'd have to make a decision on Monroe because he was in a contract year, and they weren't going to give him the contract of a starting left tackle to play on the other side of the line.  They knew he'd walk in free agency at the end of the season, and they made the decision to pull the trigger on a trade to get something for him while they could. 

Feel free to twist that into something more than what I actually said.  I'll wait.

The writing was on the wall that Monroe wouldn't be back the moment Joeckel was drafted.  He was going to LT all along.  It was just a matter of time.  Once a trade became available... voila.

But that must seem like rocket science to those who can't keep up with the simplest of matters.

Quote:I still think it is, as we have seen of late

Yup.  But that still isn't going to be reflected by draft position.  LTs are always still going to go higher than RTs.

Quote:The writing was on the wall that Monroe wouldn't be back the moment Joeckel was drafted.  He was going to LT all along.  It was just a matter of time.  Once a trade became available... voila.

But that must seem like rocket science to those who can't keep up with the simplest of matters.

I guess all those lines that were coming out of Jag central were just that...lines. I distinctly remember lots of talk of Luke being a RT with Eugene at LT. There's even that legendary focus on Jaguars analytics on how uber Blaine Gabbert is when given 3 seconds (or whatever it was) to throw in the pocket. I mean, I'm sure those were all made with the full intention that we were going to swing Luke at LT and the incredible foresight that a converted G would somehow emerge from depths of free-agency to become our RT of the future.

Talks of Luke moving back to LT only surfaced when he struggled at RT. Except he's doing the same even now that he's at left

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014, 11:31 AM by badger.)

Quote:I guess all those lines that were coming out of Jag central were just that...lines. I distinctly remember lots of talk of Luke being a RT with Eugene at LT. There's even that legendary focus on Jaguars analytics on how uber Blaine Gabbert is when given 3 seconds (or whatever it was) to throw in the pocket. I mean, I'm sure those were all made with the full intention that we were going to swing Luke at LT and the incredible foresight that a converted G would somehow emerge from depths of free-agency to become our RT of the future.

Talks of Luke moving back to LT only surfaced when he struggled at RT. Except he's doing the same even now that he's at left

/thread

excellent point

this is typical homer logic around here.  they constantly revise history to try to prove that they're always right (what they said is not really what they said), and then they tear down anybody who questions what the team is doing.  they do this to try and make themselves feel better.  it's how they cope.

Quote:I guess all those lines that were coming out of Jag central were just that...lines. I distinctly remember lots of talk of Luke being a RT with Eugene at LT. There's even that legendary focus on Jaguars analytics on how uber Blaine Gabbert is when given 3 seconds (or whatever it was) to throw in the pocket. I mean, I'm sure those were all made with the full intention that we were going to swing Luke at LT and the incredible foresight that a converted G would somehow emerge from depths of free-agency to become our RT of the future.

SpeedyG FTW!

Instead of talking about the past (Monroe), why don't we bring this back to the current topic. 

O-line is about the weakest point of the team, which is saying a lot.  When you can't run the ball very effectively and your team leads the league in sacks allowed, it's pretty obvious.  They need to bring in some new players.  I'm tired of watching games where Blake Bortles is on his butt after 50% of the snaps. 

One of these years.............

Quote:Instead of talking about the past (Monroe), why don't we bring this back to the current topic. 

O-line is about the weakest point of the team, which is saying a lot.  When you can't run the ball very effectively and your team leads the league in sacks allowed, it's pretty obvious.  They need to bring in some new players.  I'm tired of watching games where Blake Bortles is on his butt after 50% of the snaps. 

The problem with this is that the powers that be expect the rookies and Joeckel to improve a lot by next year. That's 3/5 of the OL that the team doesn't want to replace, and both Linder and Bowanko are playing well already. They're not replacing Beadles after one year, so that leaves RT. Even that is possibly ignored with the expectation that Pasztor will come back healthy next season and regain his 2013 form. Frankly, I don't expect ANY free agent OL signings, other than for depth. Whether that's a smart idea is a completely different matter.

Add to that that the problem with sacks is deeper than just the OL. There were plays designed to let opposing linemen come in unblocked. The RBs are not very good blockers, and several misses came from the TEs too. The opposing DCs are blitzing Bortles at a rate far above normal, and neither he nor the play design has made them pay, so that will continue. Finally, Henne is responsible for five sacks in just one game.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The problem with this is that the powers that be expect the rookies and Joeckel to improve a lot by next year. That's 3/5 of the OL that the team doesn't want to replace, and both Linder and Bowanko are playing well already. They're not replacing Beadles after one year, so that leaves RT. Even that is possibly ignored with the expectation that Pasztor will come back healthy next season and regain his 2013 form. Frankly, I don't expect ANY free agent OL signings, other than for depth. Whether that's a smart idea is a completely different matter.

Add to that that the problem with sacks is deeper than just the OL. There were plays designed to let opposing linemen come in unblocked. The RBs are not very good blockers, and several misses came from the TEs too. The opposing DCs are blitzing Bortles at a rate far above normal, and neither he nor the play design has made them pay, so that will continue. Finally, Henne is responsible for five sacks in just one game.

Not sure why, but your post depressed me.  It pretty much sums up our season.  The whole team has sucked in an epically bad way.  Way too many problems with the roster talent, play calling, and player evaluation to fix in 1 year.  This turd of a team will probably be at the bottom of the league next year too.  I need a beer.

One of these years.............