Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
O-Line Personnel May Not Change (according to O'Halloran)

I would love to see the Jags go O-line in the 2nd round. I keep flip flopping on the guy that I would want but right now I am zeroed in on Cam Erving. He is versatile and could easily come in and lock the center position up. This would push Bowanko to the interior swing guy and would give us someone who could in theory step in for Joeckel if needed (not sold on Wells yet).

I would then sign a RT to come in and compete with Pasztor. Not really sure what good RTs would be available. I constantly hear Bulaga's name but he is a bit injury prone. Maybe his injuries would lower his price tag?

Also wonder if we could make a run at James Carpenter from Seattle. He currently plays LG for them but was a RT his rookie year and played T at Alabama. He is young and could push Pasztor for the RT spot. Pasztor would then back up the RG and OT spots.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I would love to see the Jags go O-line in the 2nd round. I keep flip flopping on the guy that I would want but right now I am zeroed in on Cam Erving. He is versatile and could easily come in and lock the center position up. This would push Bowanko to the interior swing guy and would give us someone who could in theory step in for Joeckel if needed (not sold on Wells yet).

I would then sign a RT to come in and compete with Pasztor. Not really sure what good RTs would be available. I constantly hear Bulaga's name but he is a bit injury prone. Maybe his injuries would lower his price tag?

Also wonder if we could make a run at James Carpenter from Seattle. He currently plays LG for them but was a RT his rookie year and played T at Alabama. He is young and could push Pasztor for the RT spot. Pasztor would then back up the RG and OT spots.

thats the same reasoning i wanted grasu.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

For those of us that were in the jungle when Luke was drafted, we all remember that the rationale was that we now had bookend tackles that were going to be set for years.

To paint it any other way is revisionist history

Quote:For those of us that were in the jungle when Luke was drafted, we all remember that the rationale was that we now had bookend tackles that were going to be set for years.

Bingo.

One of these years.............

Quote:For those of us that were in the jungle when Luke was drafted, we all remember that the rationale was that we now had bookend tackles that were going to be set for years.

That's what was said.  To be perfectly fair though, would any GM say, "Well, we see the writing on the wall with Monroe next season.  He's expressed interest in signing elsewhere so Joeckel will end up taking over when he leaves or gets traded."  It really pigeon holes them and gives out more info than they need and hurts their trade opportunities also.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014, 03:01 PM by badger.)

Quote:That's what was said.  To be perfectly fair though, would any GM say, "Well, we see the writing on the wall with Monroe next season.  He's expressed interest in signing elsewhere so Joeckel will end up taking over when he leaves or gets traded."  It really pigeon holes them and gives out more info than they need and hurts their trade opportunities also.

I agree, but what about the whole "analytics" discussion on Gabbert w/ a clean pocket if they always intended Joeckel be the LT?  It seems really unnecessary if it was all a ruse.

The offensive line has not gotten any better since Caldwell took over.  We're better at yards per carry, but way at the bottom in sacks....still.....

2012 - Gene Smith's Last Year: 50 sacks allowed (NFL rank 30th), 3.8 yards per carry (24th)

2013 - Dave Caldwell's First Year: 50 sacks allowed (31st), 3.3 yards per carry (31st)

2014 - Dave Caldwell's Second Year: 54 sacks allowed (32nd), 4.2 yards per carry (12th).

What we really need is some mean offensive linemen.  I want the guys with the tattoos and facial hair that look like they would rough you up in a back alley.  Get some attitude on the line.

Quote:I agree, but what about the whole "analytics" discussion on Gabbert w/ a clean pocket if they always intended Joeckel be the LT?  It seems really unnecessary if it was all a ruse.
Probably was, but they are running a business and that requires them to sell every action to the max to increase profits (ticket sales in this case).  What should they have said?  They can't be too short or say no comment.  I'm not calling you out specifically, I just think they are in a tough spot with what they say.

Quote:Probably was, but they are running a business and that requires them to sell every action to the max to increase profits (ticket sales in this case).  What should they have said?  They can't be too short or say no comment.  I'm not calling you out specifically, I just think they are in a tough spot with what they say.

You could be right, but that doesn't do much good when you sell the fans a bunch of bull and then your actions completely contradict what you were trying to sell.

Quote:You could be right, but that doesn't do much good when you sell the fans a bunch of bull and then your actions completely contradict what you were trying to sell.

I'm sick of winning press conferences.  Every time we add a player we go ga-ga over them and expect them to be the next coming.  Talk is cheap.

Quote:I agree, but what about the whole "analytics" discussion on Gabbert w/ a clean pocket if they always intended Joeckel be the LT? It seems really unnecessary if it was all a ruse.

They could have discussed contract numbers with Monroe in season in attempts to move him at RT but balked at his asking price. He knew he didn't have much leverage with Joeckel on the roster and made the decision to test free agency. Caldwell not wanting to lose him for nothing sent him to Baltimore.

Of course its pure speculation since no one knows except Monroe and Caldwell but it would explain the analytics talk.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."