Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles First Round Draft Grade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ks-offense

He's slowly, but surely improving people.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

"preseason rockstar" made me chuckle.

God he really did look awesome in the preseason.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:"preseason rockstar" made me chuckle.

He did.. The full speed of the regular season caught up with him though. The game will start slowin down for him soon enough though.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Chemistry and offensive line help please.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ks-offense

For what it's worth, I didn't see BB hold the ball too long on any play in this game.  I think he's making improvement there.  He rolled out to the right on one play and his receiver was covered with Watt or a LB in his face and he wisely threw it out of bounds.

Experience all around on offense and we should have a nice corps for years.

Quote:He did.. The full speed of the regular season caught up with him though. The game will start slowin down for him soon enough though.

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see, but against the Texans he looked as if he has a better grasp of the offense.

Sure he's making some bad throws - but he's making plays. Or at least trying to.

There is hope - which is about all you can ask for at this point. With an expected improved o-line next year things could get interesting.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I have confidence in Blake and think that he'll make strides next season.  It's hard to give the pick a high grade right now due to the number of poor performances he's turned in, but the potential is pretty plain to see. 

He's shown the ability to improve his footwork in small doses, but needs to complete the process and become consistent with it. Don't see why that should be an insurmountable task in the offseason.

His pocket presence is already above average in comparison to his new NFL peer group.  Will likely only improve as his protection evolves. 

He's shown the ability to make good decisions, but not nearly often enough. This will be his highest hurdle  - and how he translates film-room work to on-field-decision-making will be a major determination of his true ceiling.  This is the only real question mark in my mind on #5. 

I thought Blake played better against the Texans.The big drops by Harbor and Shorts hurt his momentum and stats.Without the drops,he prob has 300 yards or so instead of 205

Quote:"preseason rockstar" made me chuckle.

That he did. I don't buy the claims of "the speed of the game caught up with Bortles". If you are good you're good and it will show, and did show. I can think of lots of bad QB that were bad from the get go, and they didn't look impressive in the preseason either. Russell Wilson looked just as fantastic as Bortles did in his pre season but the difference being that he had better development from there on after as well as an offense/ scheme that was in synchronicity with Wilson's strengths. If Bortles would have had that here, he'd be looking just as good by this point of the season as he looked in preseason, just like Russell Wilson did by the end of his rookie season. 

Quote:That he did. I don't buy the claims of "the speed of the game caught up with Bortles". If you are good you're good and it will show, and did show. I can think of lots of bad QB that were bad from the get go, and they didn't look impressive in the preseason either. Russell Wilson looked just as fantastic as Bortles did in his pre season but the difference being that he had better development from there on after as well as an offense/ scheme that was in synchronicity with Wilson's strengths. If Bortles would have had that here, he'd be looking just as good by this point of the season as he looked in preseason, just like Russell Wilson did by the end of his rookie season. 
They also play a lot of vanilla defenses in preseason and aren't game planning against the other team like they are during the regular season.  Same with the offense and they let Blake sling the ball more.

Quote:They also play a lot of vanilla defenses in preseason and aren't game planning against the other team like they are during the regular season.  Same with the offense and they let Blake sling the ball more.

As does all of the rookie QB that looked bad in past preseason's and continued on as bad QB in real games too. Wilson in Seattle faced the same vanilla defenses when he lit up preseason himself. 

Always helps when you have experienced and reliable pass catchers......As do all the other rookies.....unfortunately for Bortles, he doesn't

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ks-offense

I was thinking it was fair until I read Teddy has a B overall... hmmm ... doubt that.

He's definitely getting better. His decision making has been much better and he's had a lot more velocity on his passes now. Placing them better (the long ball to Lee last week). Not really anything that's made me say "[BLEEP] were you thinking?!" recently. Even the INT last week was a fine decision just a bad pass thrown behind him instead of out front. Those things happen. I think we are starting to see what the offense can/will be. It's still mostly lack of experience holding them back. The second half collapse was a classic example of rookie ups and downs.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

[Image: 120714-NFL-Jaguars-Blake-Bortles-pi-ssm....dium.0.jpg]

I think that sums up this year's offense .... and blake bortles woes..

Quote:I was thinking it was fair until I read Teddy has a B overall... hmmm ... doubt that.

I think he does deserve a B.  He isnt lighting it up but he doesnt have much to work with either and has made the best of it.

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

I hope he develops into Aaron Rodgers

Quote:I have confidence in Blake and think that he'll make strides next season.  It's hard to give the pick a high grade right now due to the number of poor performances he's turned in, but the potential is pretty plain to see. 

He's shown the ability to improve his footwork in small doses, but needs to complete the process and become consistent with it. Don't see why that should be an insurmountable task in the offseason.

His pocket presence is already above average in comparison to his new NFL peer group.  Will likely only improve as his protection evolves. 

He's shown the ability to make good decisions, but not nearly often enough. This will be his highest hurdle  - and how he translates film-room work to on-field-decision-making will be a major determination of his true ceiling.  This is the only real question mark in my mind on #5. 

If anything his decision making isn't as god-awful as it was in that 2-4 game stretch where he was just throwing the ball to defensive backs, throwing with 4 guys around a receiver, and pretty much doing a great job of looking like the "bad" David Garrard.

Quote:That he did. I don't buy the claims of "the speed of the game caught up with Bortles". If you are good you're good and it will show, and did show. I can think of lots of bad QB that were bad from the get go, and they didn't look impressive in the preseason either. Russell Wilson looked just as fantastic as Bortles did in his pre season but the difference being that he had better development from there on after as well as an offense/ scheme that was in synchronicity with Wilson's strengths. If Bortles would have had that here, he'd be looking just as good by this point of the season as he looked in preseason, just like Russell Wilson did by the end of his rookie season.

Thing is, Wilson was a much more polished QB than Blake when he hit the League. He already had three years of starting experience under his belt I believe. Folks don't seem to realize just how insanely good Wilson's senior season was.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!