Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles First Round Draft Grade

The revolving door of receivers this season has made it almost impossible to expect consistency.  It seems like we've had a different combo of WRs and TEs every game.  I'd love to see a stat on the number of games missed by each of the receivers.

Shorts hurt through preseason and first half of season

Robinson played first half of season, hurt last half of season

Lee hurt first half of season, played last half of season

Hurns played first several games, missed middle games, played last few games

Lewis first 2/3 of season, played last 1/3 of season 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

when I look at other offenses,especially the ones that have rookie QBs also,often the qb has a decent pocket in which to operate.With the Jags,even when he's not getting sacked,it's like chaos back there,

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2014, 05:29 PM by jobclarke.)

Quote:when I look at other offenses,especially the ones that have rookie QBs also,often the qb has a decent pocket in which to operate.With the Jags,even when he's not getting sacked,it's like chaos back there,
Which is the difference between the preseason and regular season for Blake.....time in the pocket

Quote:Which is the difference between the preseason and regular season for Blake.....time in the pocket
But our OL is solid...ahahahahah

Quote:But our OL is solid...ahahahahah

Yeah, they are a solid something alright, you just can't say it in here.

I think we all want to see what Bortles looks like when he has time in the pocket to throw the ball.

When that happens, then we will be able to give him a fair first round grade.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:But our OL is solid...ahahahahah

Yeah. I'm not buying into the little blurbs this week that attempted to deflect the O-line criticism. They are still struggling. 

Sure - there are little moments of functional play, and individuals (especially Linder) look good on certain downs -  but as a whole they gave Blake a clean pocket with plenty of time on 8 out of 39 passing attempts by my count last week.  He made twelve of his 20 completions either under pressure or rolling out.  Not an ideal way to develop a rookie QB. 

The run-blocking has taken a step back again after briefly flashing in a handful of games.  Denard getting hurt didn't help, but they'll need to run block better if they want to have any semblance of balance against the ravens - who stop the run very well. 

Which QB would you rather Dave Caldwell have drafted D. Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football Manziel, who?

I was shocked that the Jaguars drafted a QB with the 2nd overall pick because everyone kept saying how these QBs werent really 1st round picks to begin with but teams are desperate for that position and the Jaguars were at the top of the list.

(besides the Texans whom passed on Blake for injured Clowney) but when they picked him I was excited because we so badly want a great tough QB at the helm.

Everything Dave Caldwell has done has been similar to what us fans expected a team like the old Steelers... tough...

I think Blake will continue to improve in the off season and next year should be more exciting.

Quote:Which QB would you rather Dave Caldwell have drafted D. Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football Manziel, who?

I was shocked that the Jaguars drafted a QB with the 2nd overall pick because everyone kept saying how these QBs werent really 1st round picks to begin with but teams are desperate for that position and the Jaguars were at the top of the list.

(besides the Texans whom passed on Blake for injured Clowney) but when they picked him I was excited because we so badly want a great tough QB at the helm.

Everything Dave Caldwell has done has been similar to what us fans expected a team like the old Steelers... tough...

I think Blake will continue to improve in the off season and next year should be more exciting.

Bortles was the 3rd overall pick, not the 2nd.

From what I have seen this year, Bortles has the most potential of all the QBs who have played so far.

We have no idea about JFF because he hasn't played very much yet, but I was against drafting him from the beginning, so I still would have taken BB.

Now it's up to the coaching staff to get the most out of him and they have a lot to work with.

Will they be able to maximize Bortles strengths and minimize the weaknesses?

I think that's the big question.

Quote:Which QB would you rather Dave Caldwell have drafted D. Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football Manziel, who?

1. Blake was 3rd pick, not 2nd.

2. Learn who from whom.

3. I agree with the rest of your post.

Quote:1. Blake was 3rd pick, not 2nd.

2. Learn who from whom.

3. I agree with the rest of your post.
For who the bell tolls

I think this offense has a better chance at succeeding than the Blaine Gabbert led offense (jeez no crap).

They should be set at WR. Tighten up the Oline, find a replacement TE to groom under Marcedes for a year, and find another young RB that can pick up where Denard left off if he gets injured, and I think this offense will begin to gel nicely.

Quote:For who the bell tolls

It tolls for thee...  

The statement of there not being any real 1st round talent was correct. Blake was never a first round talent. He still has the most to offer of the other guys in the class. It really should not be a surprise that Bortles has ups and downs, because he should not be playing. I do like Bortles, however I would not have taken him in the early first, (albeit QB is really the only acceptable position to draft too high).

I think Dave Caldwell's biggest failures as a GM have been in his first two selections, Joeckel was a safe pick and he is not a starting T in this league. Although Bortles was picked too high, it will only be forgivable if he develops into a great player, which is unlikely. Caldwell should have been more patient. If Dave had been patient, and taken better players, the Jags would still be looking at the Mariota sweepstakes right now, but would have better pieces in place to be more successful. I think Caldwell is the type of GM that forces players into their selection. The about inheriting the the jags when Caldwell did, was that he could have taken anybody because of how bad this team was, however I feel like he forced picking a QB for the sake of taking one. 

Quote:The statement of there not being any real 1st round talent was correct. Blake was never a first round talent. He still has the most to offer of the other guys in the class. It really should not be a surprise that Bortles has ups and downs, because he should not be playing. I do like Bortles, however I would not have taken him in the early first, (albeit QB is really the only acceptable position to draft too high).

I think Dave Caldwell's biggest failures as a GM have been in his first two selections, Joeckel was a safe pick and he is not a starting T in this league. Although Bortles was picked too high, it will only be forgivable if he develops into a great player, which is unlikely. Caldwell should have been more patient. If Dave had been patient, and taken better players, the Jags would still be looking at the Mariota sweepstakes right now, but would have better pieces in place to be more successful. I think Caldwell is the type of GM that forces players into their selection. The about inheriting the the jags when Caldwell did, was that he could have taken anybody because of how bad this team was, however I feel like he forced picking a QB for the sake of taking one. 

OK, which QB in the 2014 draft would you have taken, had ALL of them been available?

Or would you have completely passed on a QB in the entire draft and only gone with Henne and a FA QB out there?

We really don't know what BB will turn out to be yet, it's way too early to determine.

Maybe he was over drafted at #3, but the Jags really had to draft a QB in this draft, and if not in the 1st rd when they were all available, then when? 2nd rd? 3rd rd?

I like the pick, BB has a lot to work with and we haven't had that around here in a long time.

It's now up to the coaches to get the most out of him.

Also, do you see a better potential QB in this coming draft then BB? You mentioned being in the "Mariotta sweepstakes", would you rather have him then BB?

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2014, 01:30 PM by David4499.)

If I were Dave... I would draft Mariotta because he is the best available player. He might beat out Bortles, who hasn't proven anything this year. If they get to trade him for a few late round picks, great. They need all the picks they can get and all the good players they can get, so it's a win win. Draft Mariotta. :yes:

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

If there was a re-draft, for sure both Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack would have gone ahead of Bortles at #3. And Bortles wouldn't have been the first QB taken; it would be either Carr or TB.

Quote:If I were Dave... I would draft Mariotta because he is the best available player. He might beat out Bortles, who hasn't proven anything this year. If they get to trade him for a few late round picks, great. They need all the picks they can get and all the good players they can get, so it's a win win. Draft Mariotta. :yes:

I might draft Mariota as well. In this age of QB's being so important, you keep drafting one until you get one. Theres only one big issue here. I don't think Mariota would end up looking much different than Bortles after a full season if the people in charge of the QB development remain status quo. If Caldwell believes that strongly that Mariota is going to be a great player, you either take him, or trade the pick if theres a team out there willing to give you a windfall. 

I don't see a problem with having 2 QB of that caliber/ potential on the roster especially in the current rookie salary structure. The Jags made the mistake of passing on Roethlisberger in 2004, and Rodgers in 2005, merely because Leftwich was on the roster. 

So you know Bortles isn't "the one" after 11 games? When Mariota has his struggles in his rookie season we can talk about drafting the next shiny new car. Ok I'm catching on.
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:So you know Bortles isn't "the one" after 11 games? When Mariota has his struggles in his rookie season we can talk about drafting the next shiny new car. Ok I'm catching on.

I didn't say that or mean to imply that, I am still quite high on Bortles potential. That said, No one can sit here today and claim that "yeah, Bortles IS the guy" because we have not seen enough for that statement to be considered the conclusion. 

As I said above, I think Mariota could also struggle next season/ or show the downward regression that Bortles has if people like Fisch remain. 

As said, this team made a mistake in 2004/ 05 by bypassing QB like Roethlisberger and Rodgers all because we had an "okay" Byron Leftwich in the fold. Thats a mistake I wouldn't like to see repeated.  I think its a good idea to keep going for the QB until its clear that QB isn't a question mark anymore. 

Quote:If there was a re-draft, for sure both Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack would have gone ahead of Bortles at #3. And Bortles wouldn't have been the first QB taken; it would be either Carr or TB.
LOL... Little 190lb Teddy would have been out for the season 20 sacks ago behind this line.  He's playing behind a WAAYYY better line and was already out for a game earlier in the year