Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Peter King on hope for the Jaguars

Quote:So if someone asked Peter King why they should be hopeful about the Redskins he'd blast them and tell them there is no hope?

Jags and Skins are totally different scenarios.  And yes, if I were him I'd rip the Skins.  Chainsaw Dan gonna add to his head count after this year prolly.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The biggest point I took from that was that the front office realized at the start of the season they still have a lot of work to do in the future.

Quote:So if someone asked Peter King why they should be hopeful about the Redskins he'd blast them and tell them there is no hope?

No, he probably just avoids answering the question. Show me where he has if I'm wrong. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Quote:The biggest point I took from that was that the front office realized at the start of the season they still have a lot of work to do in the future.
Exactly.  

While Caldwell, Khan, Bradley and others may have made "glossy references" to this still being "a process" and other such euphemisms, it's clear they expressed to King (probably when he visited camp) that there was still lots of work ahead.  

Quote:The biggest point I took from that was that the front office realized at the start of the season they still have a lot of work to do in the future.

Maybe... hopefully that means they know where the problems are, they just haven't had the time / ability to address it.

Quote:I've always wondered: how does King get his insight for these things? I'm sure he spends a lot of his time researching but he can't possibly get detailed insight on all 32 teams, especially since his masters probably demand more focus on the premier franchises. Does he rely on one or two team sources to get information?

He was in town for training camp or a few practices.  I remember hearing an interview with him from on the field.

In order to rebuild, you have to destroy.

Quote:Maybe... hopefully that means they know where the problems are, they just haven't had the time / ability to address it.

I think that's the part that maybe gets missed some; the extent of the work needed to be done to the roster. I have no idea if these rookies are going to pan out to be quality players or not, but I do know that trotting out that many of them on a Sunday is a recipe for disaster. But what options do you have? Bring in high priced guys that will hurt the cap or just take cheap rookies to fill gaps until your next opportunity to grab talent comes along? For me, I'm going with the young guys because you just may find yourself a keeper.

Caldwell has rebuilt his Offensive Line, his WR corps, his Defensive Line, and his Defensive Backfield in two offseasons. But there is still work to do both in terms of talent acquisition - TE, LB, RB - and talent development. This team is a really long ways off from where it needs to be, and I don't really see it making big strides until maybe next season.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I like how even King is for tanking.  

Quote:I've always wondered: how does King get his insight for these things? I'm sure he spends a lot of his time researching but he can't possibly get detailed insight on all 32 teams, especially since his masters probably demand more focus on the premier franchises. Does he rely on one or two team sources to get information?

I'm sure he has a staff that breaks down key points from each game for him. 

He met with Caldwell at the combine and Gus during camp, IIRC.  That would certainly give him insight to what the team expected this season. 

Quote:Plus why would someone with class kick a team when it's down?
Why not?  The fans do it on a minute-by-minute basis.  Why should the media be any different?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think that's a point that's been expressed many times.  Some folks just refuse to listen.  Immediate gratification or bust!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Why not?  The fans do it on a minute-by-minute basis.  Why should the media be any different?

"with class"

Quote:"with class"
Yes. It's fair to say that King goes about his reporting with much more class than a typical MB fan the majority of the time.  He's usually pretty "high road." 

Still  - I believe that Caldwell gave him a clear impression that there was lots of work to do beyond this season and I think King likes Bortles' potential.  Therefore, his comments are likely honest, IMO. 

Quote:Yes. It's fair to say that King goes about his reporting with much more class than a typical MB fan the majority of the time.  He's usually pretty "high road." 

Still  - I believe that Caldwell gave him a clear impression that there was lots of work to do beyond this season and I think King likes Bortles' potential.  Therefore, his comments are likely honest, IMO. 

I don't doubt any of that.

Just noted before that I wouldn't expect him to get negative about the team when someone specifically asked him for positives.

Only someone with no class would start blasting the team in a situation like that.

Quote:I think that's a point that's been expressed many times.  Some folks just refuse to listen.  Immediate gratification or bust!
lol "I trust the higher up people to make football decisions more than the people on this board...." - FBT during the Gene Smith regime

Quote:No, he probably just avoids answering the question. Show me where he has if I'm wrong. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

He probably got hundreds of questions on Twitter. He chose that Jaguars one for a reason. I doubt if a Titans or Bucs asked a similar question that he would have even answered it.

Randy Gregory.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:I really think Peter King is a Jaguars fan deep down.
Who doesn't want the underdog to do good sometimes. As long as we don't get to big for our britches (seahawks), people will like us and root for the underdog. A good small market team will always have people who like it as a secondary, because its not one of the other big markets they specifically don't like.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Jags and Skins are totally different scenarios.  And yes, if I were him I'd rip the Skins.  Chainsaw Dan gonna add to his head count after this year prolly.
As he should. Jay Gruden made RGIII worse. If I just hired an 'offensive' guru and he made my former rookie of the year QB who I gave a bunch of picks up for worse, I would fire him. Harbaugh to the Redskins, poetry in motion man...

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.