Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sports Illustrated analysis on this years hiring cycle

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love how the author of the article put together a highly opinionated piece.  He even states in the article "it was not gus bradley's fault" 

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM by MojoKing.)

Yeah at this point, all of this is just conjecture.

There's no point in complaining about it now, all we can do is sit back and see what unfolds

Quote:I love how the author of the article put together a highly opinionated piece. He even states in the article "it was not gus bradley's fault"

I guess some Executives do not agree with our hiring.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2017, 06:46 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

Very strong opinion.

I will say this, I really did hate how Khan handled the entire situation. Waiting to fire so late in the season and firing him one hour after a game was mind blowing. Then letting two weeks of Marrone ball completely influence your hiring process. My only question to Khan would be had Gus been given the chance to finish the season and we didn't have a 1-1 Marrone sample size in which ownership was "impressed" against the colts and a deflated Titans team... Would Marrone be the HC? If yes, fair enough. If no, I sure do hope Khan is good at learning from mistakes because he is the owner for a very long foreseeable future.

Quote:I love how the author of the article put together a highly opinionated piece.  He even states in the article "it was not gus bradley's fault" 

[Image: giphy.gif]

No Fun

I like how people still think that being a successful co-ordinator for the Patriots is worth anything when going after head coaching positions. The only Belichick assistant with any kind of sustained success is Bill O'Brien who has had 3 consecutive 9-7 seasons. The coaches in New England look good because of the discipline and determination instilled into the players by Belichick and because they have Tom Brady. Take away those two factors and they are almost universally mediocre. 

Quote:I love how the author of the article put together a highly opinionated piece.  He even states in the article "it was not gus bradley's fault" 

It was in quotes, that wasn't the author's opinion. It was the opinion of an "executive of a successful franchise".

Basically from what I can gather from these quotes and from Mike Lombardi's previous quotes, the Jaguars executives believe this team is talented while most people on the outside do not.

Is it 2012 again, just substituting Gene Smith with David Caldwell? Is Dave telling Shad this team is talented just like Gene was, when it isn't really? Or was coaching actually the issue this time?

Hopefully that is where hiring Coughlin helps. He should be able to give an unbiased opinion of the talent level of the team. We will get a good idea what Tom thinks of the talent after free agency and the draft.

* I know the opinion of a former player who was around for the 2012 team who does in fact think this is 2012 ptII.

It's all about the Bortles. (Thanks, Dave!) Will they finally be raised? Or will they be razed?

I think it's safe to say that there are questions about how smart Khan is as an owner.

But at this point, what does it matter anymore?

We suck.  We hope not to suck anymore.  We've decided to keep the main people that have been sucking in hopes that one coach that used to not suck is now the head GM in order to ensure that our former head GM who has been sucking may not suck as much anymore now that he's been demoted to junior GM...

It's all wishful thinking at this point.  But we really have no other choice, do we?  Maybe we'll turn things around.

I'm not gonna hold my breath though.

We'll probably suck less.  But will still suck just enough to not make the playoffs.

Nothing new here. Until we win, the same old spill of harsh opinions from people who don't know much either will continue to flood us. Bleh
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

The writer set out to paint a picture of why McDaniels didn't accept or get offered a head-coaching gig. 

In the process he interviews three executives that have issues with owners (and one of them thinks the Jags hired the wrong HC.)

Newsflash: people often have issues with their bosses. Owners are the bosses here - so execs will  naturally have plenty of issues to discuss. 

The exec is implying that Khan screwed up by keeping people in place that would give Bortles a chance again. 

Maybe he's right.  Maybe Khan should have fired Caldwell and hired a GM that would go after a new QB as his highest priority. 

Khan clearly thought Dave did enough things right to keep him around and wanted to give Blake one more chance.  Was he foolish to do so?  Good question. 

It will be interesting to see if they place any priority on a "plan B" at QB since it may reveal to what degree Bortles was a factor in deciding on the head coach hire. Was hiring Marrone really all about salvaging Blake as the executive implied?  Good question. 

Regardless - I'm good with the staff they are assembling  thus far but it all will come down to what they can get out of Bortles and what they have on the bench if he melts down again. That's when the rubber hits the road.  It's all just talk and speculation at this point. 

This really has been an up and down offseason so far.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:I guess some Executives do not agree with our hiring.
It didn't matter who we hired, you can't please everyone.  There was not a guy out there that 32 executives will agree on.  I don't know if the Jags did well but I got some faith in coughlin.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:The writer set out to paint a picture of why McDaniels didn't accept or get offered a head-coaching gig.

In the process he interviews three executives that have issues with owners (and one of them thinks the Jags hired the wrong HC.)

Newsflash: people often have issues with their bosses. Owners are the bosses here - so execs will naturally have plenty of issues to discuss.

The exec is implying that Khan screwed up by keeping people in place that would give Bortles a chance again.

Maybe he's right. Maybe Khan should have fired Caldwell and hired a GM that would go after a new QB as his highest priority.

Khan clearly thought Dave did enough things right to keep him around and wanted to give Blake one more chance. Was he foolish to do so? Good question.

It will be interesting to see if they place any priority on a "plan B" at QB since it may reveal to what degree Bortles was a factor in deciding on the head coach hire. Was hiring Marrone really all about salvaging Blake as the executive implied? Good question.

Regardless - I'm good with the staff they are assembling thus far but it all will come down to what they can get out of Bortles and what they have on the bench if he melts down again. That's when the rubber hits the road. It's all just talk and speculation at this point.

Agreed. More and more Coughlin is looking like hedge against Caldwell.

I don't know exactly how people are getting excited by this mess.  It may work, but right now it just looks like a mess.  

Quote:Agreed. More and more Coughlin is looking like hedge against Caldwell.
Fair way of viewing that situation.  I'm hopeful that it turns out to be more of a useful addition of checks and balances than a hedge, but should Blake fail and Caldwell and Coughlin have major disagreement on personnel, then it may turn out to be a hedged bet type of scenario. 

History backs the writer up. Maybe the jags buck that trend. Maybe Marrone is the 3rd of 42 interim to HC guys to be successful. The only good thing about the hire is I do think Marrone gets the jags to a 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 record. We won't be making the playoffs, but at least that gets us out of joke territory. 

Quote:History backs the writer up. Maybe the jags buck that trend. Maybe Marrone is the 3rd of 42 interim to HC guys to be successful. The only good thing about the hire is I do think Marrone gets the jags to a 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 record. We won't be making the playoffs, but at least that gets us out of joke territory. 
This is what I think as well. Just cleaning up discipline will get us to 6-10. It feels weird having basically the same staff tho. Just have to see how it goes.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.