Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mccray

Quote:I think we sign Byron Maxwell to play nickel and use Gratz for depth.
if we sign Maxwell he will play opposite McCray

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree...my only hesitation is that at the end of last season we all thought the same in regards to Cyp and Gratz.  We also hoped Joeckel would show well this year.

We've been disappointed by all 3 this year.  Time will tell if it's a Sophomore slump or if they've regressed.  I just hope that's doesn't happen with this year's draft.

Quote:What a draft pick

And Colvin looks great
Colvin has lived up to the hype so far, to be this good after missing the entire season due to injury as a rookie... he looks like a starter for the future at CB.

Quote:if we sign Maxwell he will play opposite McCray
I think if we address the secondary in free agency we'll look to the FS position instead of CB.

For the foreseeable future I see Colvin, McCray, Gratz, and Ball as our CBs.

Cyp is the only starter we have at S. We need a "McCourty" type pick up and Evans and another mid round pick to play back ups.

Quote:I think if we address the secondary in free agency we'll look to the FS position instead of CB.

For the foreseeable future I see Colvin, McCray, Gratz, and Ball as our CBs.

Cyp is the only starter we have at S. We need a "McCourty" type pick up and Evans and another mid round pick to play back ups.
Agree but if Gipson and McCourty resign which is very possitble, I can see us going after Maxwell and picking up a FS in the draft like Holliman

Quote:Agree but if Gipson and McCourty resign which is very possitble, I can see us going after Maxwell and picking up a FS in the draft like Holliman
Maybe Ball could move to FS?

It worked in Madden.

:yes:

The Jags know how to identify good corner backs. Amazing they have a 7th rounder playing as good as any in the league.

What makes everyone so confident Gratz will be good at nickel? Maybe backup outside corner,but doubt his poor route adjustment will be improved so much that he's effective inside.

Quote:Agree but if Gipson and McCourty resign which is very possitble, I can see us going after Maxwell and picking up a FS in the draft like Holliman
Here you go with that non tackling Holliman again.

Quote:Maybe Ball could move to FS?

It worked in Madden.

:yes:
Ball actually played FS for a short time in the NFL.

He was horrible.

How many TDs has McCray given up this year?

The long one from Rivers to Floyd, but I can't think of any else.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I anticipate McCray/Colvin next year on the corners with the "best of the rest" playing nickel.  

Could be Gratz, but as I and others have stated, the position does require a certain skill set.  He may not be suited.  Ball doesn't strike me as suited to nickel either, but I'm not sure  -  and they'd have to re-sign him first anyway.  Will Blackmon played poorly there early this season after playing it pretty well prior. I think the numerous injuries may have finally caught up to him. 

I expect Gratz, Teddy Williams, and a new FA to compete for the spot. 

FWIW - I also think signing Ball to a moderately-priced deal would be wise for depth on the outside. 

<b>Demetrius McCray, CB: -0.1</b>

Breakdown: One of the most pleasant surprises on the Jaguars’ defense has been the play of McCray. A seventh-round selection in 2013 he’s started from week five and done an excellent job. He’s not flashy but he’s gone up against some of the best receivers in the business in that span and held his own. He does a very good job of keeping everything in front of him and limiting YAC. He’s allowed only one TD all year and a QB rating of only 81.0

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...s-week-17/

Quote:I anticipate McCray/Colvin next year on the corners with the "best of the rest" playing nickel.  

Could be Gratz, but as I and others have stated, the position does require a certain skill set.  He may not be suited.  Ball doesn't strike me as suited to nickel either, but I'm not sure  -  and they'd have to re-sign him first anyway.  Will Blackmon played poorly there early this season after playing it pretty well prior. I think the numerous injuries may have finally caught up to him. 

I expect Gratz, Teddy Williams, and a new FA to compete for the spot. 

FWIW - I also think signing Ball to a moderately-priced deal would be wise for depth on the outside. 

What will most likely happen is McCray and (hopefully) Colvin starts. When we go nickel, Aaron slides inside with either Gratz/Ball to the outside.

Quote:What will most likely happen is McCray and (hopefully) Colvin starts. When we go nickel, Aaron slides inside with either Gratz/Ball to the outside.

I guess that's possible. They used a nickel-back on around 60% of the snaps this year though.  Seems like they'd designate someone permanent on the outside. 

Quote:<b>Demetrius McCray, CB: -0.1</b>

Breakdown: One of the most pleasant surprises on the Jaguars’ defense has been the play of McCray. A seventh-round selection in 2013 he’s started from week five and done an excellent job. He’s not flashy but he’s gone up against some of the best receivers in the business in that span and held his own. He does a very good job of keeping everything in front of him and limiting YAC. He’s allowed only one TD all year and a QB rating of only 81.0

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...s-week-17/

He's been great. I don't think he gets alot of credit from some people because you almost never see him, which is a good thing.

;

;