Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should Jaguars Cut TE Thomas

Quote:Dave gets a pass or nah?

I know.  He had to spend the money.
Nobody gets a pass.  

But Caldwell didn't break the guy's thumb mere weeks after he arrived either. Those thumbs come in pretty "handy" when you're catching footballs. 

*rimshot

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[quote name="NYC4jags" post="948689" timestamp="1484754228"]

I'm more inclined to put that one on Olson than "the organization."

My only gripe with Thomas is the loafing he did when he new Blake's accuracy had hit rock bottom. He gave up.

He's still a very good TE when he's healthy -- he just hast been healthy much and played banged up a lot of his time here.

He'll have to get in shape, stay in shape, and likely need to atone for the laziness as the new staff will likely put him to task on the topic. [/quote

You would think Dave and his pro personnel people met with the offensive coaching staff prior to signing Julius to discuss scheme fits etc...this is a logical assumption. The question is did Oley defiantly decide not to use Julius in the way discussed? For the life of me I can't figure out why they haven't used Julius as a guy that stretches the seams, he's a straight line athlete, Denver also used him in that manner. Either it was discussed prior to signing him, and Oley inexplicably defied, or it was never discussed with the offensive coaching staff prior to his signing. Either way it doesn't look good, the fact that they also allowed him to clearly get out of shape is bad mark on the previous regime as well, moving forward I can't see anything like this happening under Toms watch.

Coughlin isn't going to put up with his half [BLEEP] efforts this year.  Thomas needs to use his size and fight for the ball instead of being taken out of plays by smaller guys so easily.  He's more of a finesse player who is only going to make plays when open.  He wont make plays against physical defenses.

Quote:I still don't think we used him the way Denver does why I don't know.

Because the previous coaching staff, was in competent.. Instead of running 5 and outs they should have been, using him down the seam... Redzone jump balls should have been going to him.. He needed better opportunities.

And he didnt get it..

Quote:You would think Dave and his pro personnel people met with the offensive coaching staff prior to signing Julius to discuss scheme fits etc...this is a logical assumption. The question is did Oley defiantly decide not to use Julius in the way discussed? For the life of me I can't figure out why they haven't used Julius as a guy that stretches the seams, he's a straight line athlete, Denver also used him in that manner. Either it was discussed prior to signing him, and Oley inexplicably defied, or it was never discussed with the offensive coaching staff prior to his signing. Either way it doesn't look good, the fact that they also allowed him to clearly get out of shape is bad mark on the previous regime as well, moving forward I can't see anything like this happening under Toms watch.

Whatever understanding there was (or wasn't) between Caldwell and the coaches on Thomas' strengths  -- they were rarely used. 

Some of that is just Blake's inaccuracy. Especially early in 2016.  They did send Thomas on some "straight-line" type routes. There was a beautiful TD to him in the GB game this way. The problem came when they tried to do it again. Bortles was consistently way off target. Often overthrowing him. 

In 2015 they actually made some good use of him around the goal line, but Blake's accuracy was still a factor as was Thomas' health. 

Nonetheless - they did not scheme him into the offense effectively enough  and Blake didn't get him the ball accurately. 

One can blame Olson, Caldwell, Blake, or Thomas all they like.  I think there's enough to go around. 

Quote:Holy crap. Huh
Do to skool sistem

JT would get picked up by Pats and end up superbowl MVP with 3 tds.

Definitely keep Thomas, at least until Blackmon comes back

Quote:JT would get picked up by Pats and end up superbowl MVP with 3 tds.
This^

Quote:Definitely keep Thomas, at least until Blackmon comes back

Wait...Blackmon's gone?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Definitely keep Thomas, at least until Blackmon comes back

Hall of fame post

Quote:Hall of fame post

Ha ha
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:JT would get picked up by Pats and end up superbowl MVP with 3 tds.

Anyone can be picked up by the Pats and be Superbowl MVP even (insert whatever player you think is very bad). Bill doesn't pick up anyone they don't have a game plan for, and if that game plan ends up being the one they use for the SB they will get it

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

Quote:Wait...Blackmon's gone?

He's with the Redskins. He was returning punts for them too. Was a decent d-back when he was here. Oh well.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:Anyone can be picked up by the Pats and be Superbowl MVP even (Michael Floyd). Bill doesn't pick up anyone they don't have a game plan for, and if that game plan ends up being the one they use for the SB they will get it

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

One thing is certain...the "florida vacations" for free agents here is over. Finished.

So its "fish or cut bait" time for the ones we have and any we get in the future.  :yes:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:One thing is certain...the "florida vacations" for free agents here is over. Finished.

So its "fish or cut bait" time for the ones we have and any we get in the future.  :yes:

Certain indeed.  Mainly because of the new VP of football operations.  The life!  Isn't is so marvelous to be a Jag fan?  

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

I can't forget the two consecutive 10-TD seasons he had with Manning. Thomas can definitely be an offensive weapon if used properly.

Quote:of all the things we need, tight end is not a priority.
you are so wrong. t e are the overlooked position. jmho,. not only do we need one but two

Quote:He's with the Redskins. He was returning punts for them too. Was a decent d-back when he was here. Oh well.

He really wasn't that bad of a corner. I never thought we should have let him walk.

'02