Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should Jaguars Cut TE Thomas

Oehser clarified the situation at last:

Hey O! I have heard several different things related to Julius Thomas' contract. Did a deadline pass for the $3 million Friday? Or, is the $3 million at the beginning of the year? And, do you think he'll be back next year? Thank you! #DTWD Go Jags!

John: There is $3 million in guaranteed money in Thomas’ contract that kicks in if he is on the roster on March 9, which is the start of the new league year. I think it makes sense to bring Thomas back because I think he’s a talented player, but if I had to lean right now I’d lean toward him not returning.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

Oehser clarified the situation at last:

<div>Hey O! I have heard several different things related to Julius Thomas' contract. Did a deadline pass for the $3 million Friday? Or, is the $3 million at the beginning of the year? And, do you think he'll be back next year? Thank you! #DTWD Go Jags!

John: There is $3 million in guaranteed money in Thomas’ contract that kicks in if he is on the roster on March 9, which is the start of the new league year. I think it makes sense to bring Thomas back because I think he’s a talented player, but if I had to lean right now I’d lean toward him not returning.

</div>

Ugh....

So is Oesher right and it's March 9th.... or was it five days after the Super Bowl like PFT and others are saying?

'02

Quote:Ugh....

So is Oesher right and it's March 9th.... or was it five days after the Super Bowl like PFT and others are saying?

It's ***official*** , we have a Thomas conspiracy on our hands

He has been underwhelming but I dont think we have used him correctly either. I think we should give it a year, maybe if we use him downfield and up the seam more he will regain his form. 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:Ugh....

Oesher addressed this again yesterday following more questions about it and I'm inclined to believe him rather than other sources (Ryan O' agrees with Oesher by the way) at this point. We'll find out soon enough anyway.

Regarding Julius Thomas, I have read through numerous outside sources that the Jaguars have committed to him because of a bonus due him last Friday. I have heard on a couple of Jaguars sites that the payment is due at or near the end of the league year. Which is really, and why is there a difference between outside and internal reporting?

John: Thomas has $3 million in guarantees kick in on March 9, the start of the new league year. That’s when the Jaguars must decide whether or not to commit to him. He remains on the roster, and I don’t yet know whether that will be the case after March 9. As far as “Jaguars sites,” there’s only one – and that’s this one. The others are by definition outside reporting. There’s nothing wrong with those sites, and they’re often right, but they’re not “Jaguars sites.” I don’t work for other sites, so I don’t know why they do what they do. I can only speak for this site. We don’t typically report on player transactions unless until a player officially signs, re-signs or is released, but I attempt to shed as much light on Jaguars goings on as possible here in the O-Zone.

No player should be judged on their production under the Gus regime unless there were some serious character red flags. Coughlin and marrone will get rid of guys who don't want to put forth 100%
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:No player should be judged on their production under the Gus regime unless there were some serious character red flags. Coughlin and marrone will get rid of guys who don't want to put forth 100%

I mentioned this ^ earlier but I'll say it one more time:

Thomas (and others) showed signs of phoning it in by trotting through their routes occasionally when Bortles was several weeks into his mechanics meltdown. 

I don't blame them for being frustrated at that point, but it's very possible that Marrone became upset enough by Thomas' lack of effort that he releases him or asks Caldwell to try dealing him away.

Looking at his salary due and dead money however, it really makes more sense to keep him this season and send him packing in 2018 if he doesn't rebound with the new offensive playbook.  The Jags would only save 1.7 mil by releasing him this season, but would save 7.4 mil next year.

If they trade him this offseason they could save 4.7 mil this year but would still be on the hook for 3.6 mil because of the contract's structure. 

(all of these numbers are according to overthecap.com)

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017, 10:21 AM by Achilles.)

Quote:I mentioned this ^ earlier but I'll say it one more time:

Thomas (and others) showed signs of phoning it in by trotting through their routes occasionally when Bortles was several weeks into his mechanics meltdown.

I don't blame them for being frustrated at that point, but it's very possible that Marrone became upset enough by Thomas' lack of effort that he releases him or asks Caldwell to try dealing him away.

Looking at <a class="bbc_url" href='http://overthecap.com/player/julius-thomas/26/'>his salary due and dead money however</a>, it really makes more sense to keep him this season and send him packing in 2018 if he doesn't rebound with the new offensive playbook. The Jags would only save 1.7 mil by releasing him this season, but would save 7.4 mil next year.

If they trade him this offseason they could save 4.7 mil this year but would still be on the hook for 3.6 mil because of the contract's structure.

(all of these numbers are according to overthecap.com)
I know. I read it and I do agree that he was phoning it in sometimes but for me that isn't a major red flag for a couple reasons.

1. I've seen plenty of talented guys do it. It's not ideal but we know he can turn it on and he can be motivated.

2. I could see myself being pretty deflated playing last season for that regime. We have a new one now and he deserves a chance to show them what he's got.

Major red flags to me are moreso the things like drug use, alcoholism, dangerous off field behavior...Etc.

My reasoning for thinking and hoping he stays is basically that you can't fill every hole every offseason. If we release him, that's one more major area that needs attention. He's a well above average tight end when he's trying. If they can salvage him, that helps the team the most.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Sorry for posting about it again but Oesher apologized for the mistake today on the Ozone and confirmed the 3million bonus kicked in last Friday.

Here it is again:

Zone, not to say you’re wrong, but I’m still hearing conflicting reports on Julius Thomas. Did the Jaguars or did the Jaguars not pay him $3 million Friday? And is the organization now committed to him?

John: Well, Fred, it’s sometimes OK to say “Zone, you’re wrong.” That’s because on occasion I am wrong – and this was one such occasion. I was asked last week about various reports of Jaguars tight end Julius Thomas being due $3 million last Friday. I wrote here in the O-Zone that those reports were incorrect – and that Thomas was scheduled to have $3 million in guaranteed money kick in on March 9. There had been confusion on multiple media outlets on the issue all week, and my error added to that confusion. That “whoops” is on me, so apologies for that. As for Thomas’ status with the Jaguars, that still remains to be seen. Yes, the $3 million guaranteed indeed kicked in Friday, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he will return to the Jaguars next season. I still believe retaining him would be a good idea, but I’m still leaning toward him not returning. This remains a “stay-tuned” situation, guaranteed money or no.

Finally. Big Grin

Quote:Sorry for posting about it again but Oesher apologized for the mistake today on the Ozone and confirmed the 3million bonus kicked in last Friday.

Here it is again:

Zone, not to say you’re wrong, but I’m still hearing conflicting reports on Julius Thomas. Did the Jaguars or did the Jaguars not pay him $3 million Friday? And is the organization now committed to him?

John: Well, Fred, it’s sometimes OK to say “Zone, you’re wrong.” That’s because on occasion I am wrong – and this was one such occasion. I was asked last week about various reports of Jaguars tight end Julius Thomas being due $3 million last Friday. I wrote here in the O-Zone that those reports were incorrect – and that Thomas was scheduled to have $3 million in guaranteed money kick in on March 9. There had been confusion on multiple media outlets on the issue all week, and my error added to that confusion. That “whoops” is on me, so apologies for that. As for Thomas’ status with the Jaguars, that still remains to be seen. Yes, the $3 million guaranteed indeed kicked in Friday, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he will return to the Jaguars next season. I still believe retaining him would be a good idea, but I’m still leaning toward him not returning. This remains a “stay-tuned” situation, guaranteed money or no.

Finally. Big Grin

Thank you.

Looks like we can expect JT to remain with the team, which like I said before, I believe is for the best. He's talented and that's one less hole to fill.

Quote:As for Thomas’ status with the Jaguars, that still remains to be seen. Yes, the $3 million guaranteed indeed kicked in Friday, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he will return to the Jaguars next season. I still believe retaining him would be a good idea, but I’m still leaning toward him not returning. This remains a “stay-tuned” situation, guaranteed money or no.

<div> 
Finally. Big Grin

</div>
That's good news in my book as I'd like to see Thomas used more effectively under Marrone/Hackett, but I suppose a trade is still a possibility.

Quote:That's good news in my book as I'd like to see Thomas used more effectively under Marrone/Hackett, but I suppose a trade is still a possibility.

I can see him being traded, but why else wouldn't he stay put having been paid provided he's one of the best three TEs on the roster?

'02

Quote:I can see him being traded, but why else wouldn't he stay put having been paid provided he's one of the best three TEs on the roster?

I mentioned the trade possibility because the Jags could save some money and acquire a pick potentially for a guy that maybe (just maybe) Marrone/TC/Caldwell are miffed with due to the sloughing off on routes later in the 2016 season.

As I've said - I'd keep him and I think they will.

Uh Yeah, the dude broke his finger and a month later had to up his cup size to a C. Worthless without Manning ( which I warned of last year)

Being thrown around that he may be in consideration for a trade to Miami for Brandon Albert

Quote:Being thrown around that he may be in consideration for a trade to Miami for Brandon Albert
I read that Miami was releasing Albert.

Quote:I read that Miami was releasing Albert.
They were but are holding on to him because of trade interest from teams

Quote:I read that Miami was releasing Albert.
That was amended shortly thereafter. They think a team might be dumb enough to give them something for an expensive, old, oft injured, and declining in play LT...and it looks like we might be trying to be that dummy. 

Trade JT for Albert straight up?