Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Greg Roman on his way out in San Francisco. Could Caldwell call his old buddy?

Roman was a hot head coaching prospect going into this year. Now he might get canned as offensive coordinator.

Quote:<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">After Thursday’s 19-3 loss to the Seahawks, coach Jim Harbaugh was asked if it was time to reevaluate the offense and make major changes. Harbaugh responded: “We always do that. We’ll do that again. We’ll evaluate it. I don’t know what you refer to with major changes.” 
<span>Under fourth-year offensive coordinator Greg Roman, the 49ers entered Thursday ranked 21st in scoring (20.7 points per game) and 19th in offensive yards (340 per game).
</span>
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">And this was pretty interesting

Quote:General manager Trent Baalke’s daughter Cassie deleted a Tweet after the game in which she apparently wrote: “Greg Roman can take a hike. The 49ers don’t want you no more.” Cassie Baalke, who played basketball last year for Bemidji (Minn.) State as a freshman, later Tweeted: “Everyone’s entitled to an opinion. Sorry mine doesn’t favor you or agree with yours.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/...nt-page-1/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I saw harbaugh had taken over the playcalling late in the game for a few plays and then kaep threw a pick.

It was only maybe two plays but I think the point is that you can't polish a turd.

Kaep is incredibly inaccurate and makes awful decisions.

I'm not sure roman is to blame.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Sounds like Roman is toast. I could definitely see it happening.

;

;

Quote:I saw harbaugh had taken over the playcalling late in the game for a few plays and then kaep threw a pick.

It was only maybe two plays but I think the point is that you can't polish a turd.

Kaep is incredibly inaccurate and makes awful decisions.

I'm not sure roman is to blame.

The dual-threat QBs, is there one that stays good consistently through more than 2-3 seasons? It seems like after a season's worth of film, the opposing teams have these guys figured out.

Or is it more the QBs themselves, who have relied on athleticism their whole lives and can't seem to evolve in the mental aspect of the game?

Quote:The dual-threat QBs, is there one that stays good consistently through more than 2-3 seasons? It seems like after a season's worth of film, the opposing teams have these guys figured out.

Or is it more the QBs themselves, who have relied on athleticism their whole lives and can't seem to evolve in the mental aspect of the game?

I think its the latter. In all reality, luck is a dual threat guy but he has always leaned on his passing. He is having prolonged success.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

They should just start Gabbert. That'll solve everything.

A. Greg Roman is extremely capable.

B. Kaepernik has regressed.  Why?

Kaepernik is not who you think he is...  The guys on here that know how to watch film can see what's happening i.e. Roman has had to simply things a great deal because Kaepernik (an athletically gifted person) is over his head.  He has so many deficiencies as a QB and I'm not sure if he is a lifetime "freelancer", not that smart, or slow in recognition and decisions. 

Notice, Roman had to design an offense that Kaepernik could execute - not an offense Roman would like to implement.  I thought Kaep would be eventually able to evolve his game into something more Roman-like a' la' similar to a pro-style offense utilizing TE's (TE like such as Boldin and Davis) and a physical running game like he did with Luck at Stanford.  Kaep hasn't been able to take that next step of progression.

Kaep regularly puts his lineman at a disadvantage because his footwork and drops suck - not in sync with line calls before the snap resulting in sack after sack.

His delivery is a mess mechanically and slow.  He doesn't progress through all his reads or he's slow in doing so = sacks & poor decisions.  It's embarrassing, he never utilizes his outlet options and if you take away option and two he's toast.

I did not Jags personnel, but Roman would work very well with Bortels.

Roman>Fisch

I'd welcome Roman here. Never liked Kaepernick coming out of college so I view his success on coaching/play calling.

Quote:Roman>Fisch

Who isn't better then Dead Fisch?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Id take Roman over Fisch at this point but who knows how everything works out in the end. I doubt it would happen but who knows?

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014, 08:48 PM by Haterade.)

Sketchy. 49ers are stacked yet their offense is doing nothing and Harbaugh is taking over playcalling. We NEED to replace Mallory, but I'm willing to give Fisch one more season. I want some consistency for Bortles too. If the playcalling doesn't open up next season then Fisch is done. I do believe the inexperience and OL is a factor, but Fisch needs to keep Lewis and Gerhart in to block and tell the rest to run go routes. Need to stretch the field, I wanna see more deepshots. Defenses are cheating up, gotta keep em honest.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014, 09:55 PM by TryAnotherName.)

Quote:Sketchy. 49ers are stacked yet their offense is doing nothing and Harbaugh is taking over playcalling. We NEED to replace Mallory, but I'm willing to give Fisch one more season. I want some consistency for Bortles too. If the playcalling doesn't open up next season then Fisch is done. I do believe the inexperience and OL is a factor, but Fisch needs to keep Lewis and Gerhart in to block and tell the rest to run go routes. Need to stretch the field, I wanna see more deepshots. Defenses are cheating up, gotta keep em honest.
Agreed. When Roman was a name on everyone's radar as a potential head coaching candidate, I thought it a little strange than the 49er fans were desperate for him to get picked up somewhere-- this being when they were still very successful.  I think they were starting to see some problems, and they appear to have snowballed instead of getting resolved.  I'm not so sure I'd want Roman as our OC.  Not sure I want Fisch, either, but lets see how the last few games shake out. 

Quote:Agreed. When Roman was a name on everyone's radar as a potential head coaching candidate, I thought it a little strange than the 49er fans were desperate for him to get picked up somewhere-- this being when they were still very successful. 

Kinda like Mularkey in Atlanta, no?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Kinda like Mularkey in Atlanta, no?
Mularkey was a very special case. He was likely to be fired if he hadn't been picked up as a head coach.

I don't know that I'm ready to replace Fisch, because I don't think it's fair to fire a guy that's been stuck with a bunch of rookies and/or scrubs to date. It's not Fisch's fault that Toby Gerhart couldn't hit a hole the size of a barn door. He deserves one last shake.

That said, I would be in favor of hiring Roman as a well-paid assistant head coach/QBs. He's a proven QB coach (outside of Kaepernick, who's been figured out and is incapable of adjusting his game to compensate) who could help Bortles along nicely, and he's a ready-made candidate to replace Fisch at some point next season if the offense remains stagnant despite better talent.

definitely possible