Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2013 NFL Draft Grades

What do you think?  It's fair to assess Caldwell's first draft at this point.

1. Joeckel- Backup caliber

2. Cyprien- Low special teams caliber

3. Gratz- Low special teams caliber

4. Sanders- Cut him

5. Denard Robinson- Gem so far, best pick of draft for Jags

6. Evans- Backup caliber

7. Harris- who?

7. McCray- Jury is out, may be a gem for a 7th rounder

I give his first draft and overall D-.  DRob keeps it from being a failing grade

At this rate with getting 1-2 starter caliber players per draft, we will never be competitive before players retire.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Mccray is good

Some of those comments are way too generous - they wouldn't be special teams players on most NFL rosters. 

Yeah the 2013 draft doesn't look good at all.i wonder if Bownako and Linder improve or stay the same, or regress, in year 2.

We need everyone to "get better" but with this coaching staff, I'm not sure if that's possible.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Gosh, I didn't think about it until you laid it out.  That draft really sucks, and it's only been 1 year.  We still can't draft after how many GMs.  Where is TC when you need him?

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

What did Joeckel do wrong today to have him at backup caliber?

Anyway, considering the 2013 draft class historically devoid of talent, I think Dave did a good job of finding late round gems with Robinson and McCray. Most teams didn't. Joeckel and Cyprien were both selected where they were expected to be, they weren't reaches, they just have not played as well as people expected. I still give Joeckel another year. He's decent at least right now, and as his technique gets better he can be the player we expected.

The true test of Caldwell will be the 2014 draft and this upcoming one, and he seems to have nailed the 2014 class.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:What did Joeckel do wrong today to have him at backup caliber?

Anyway, considering the 2013 draft class historically devoid of talent, I think Dave did a good job of finding late round gems with Robinson and McCray. Most teams didn't. Joeckel and Cyprien were both selected where they were expected to be, they weren't reaches, they just have not played as well as people expected. I still give Joeckel another year. He's decent at least right now, and as his technique gets better he can be the player we expected.

The true test of Caldwell will be the 2014 draft and this upcoming one, and he seems to have nailed the 2014 class.

Nailed the 2014?

After how Bortles has been playing recently, the 2014 draft is very much up in the air.

Bortles may turn out good, but I think there's just as good of a chance that he busts.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:After how Bortles has been playing recently,
You mean playing like a raw rookie was supposed to sit his rookie season? gee, who woulda thunk it.

Bortles has shown me enough of the intangibles that you can't teach that I'm not worried about him come years 2-3 and beyond. You can fix his footwork issues with another offseason of work, and as he adjusts to the NFL he will become more comfortable and the game will slow down and he'll stop throwing as many picks. But you can't teach his mental toughness, how he stands tall in a muddled pocket and isn't afraid to take a hit, or his size and athleticism.  We've still picked the right QB, and what you want to see out of him in his first year as a rookie who was expected to struggle, contrary to popular belief, he's shown me.

Beyond him, we hit on A-Rob. We hit on Linder. We hit on Telvin. We hit on Bowanko. C-Smith has flashed. Colvin is back and we'll be able to see what he can do. The only real disappointment so far has been Lee and it's obviously too early to write him out, and when he's had opportunities he's flashed tremendous speed. Sounds like a knock out of the part type draft to me.

We are talking about 2013, not this year, Vino

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:You mean playing like a raw rookie was supposed to sit his rookie season? gee, who woulda thunk it.

Bortles has shown me enough of the intangibles that you can't teach that I'm not worried about him come years 2-3 and beyond. You can fix his footwork issues with another offseason of work, and as he adjusts to the NFL he will become more comfortable and the game will slow down and he'll stop throwing as many picks. But you can't teach his mental toughness, how he stands tall in a muddled pocket and isn't afraid to take a hit, or his size and athleticism.  We've still picked the right QB, and what you want to see out of him in his first year as a rookie who was expected to struggle, contrary to popular belief, he's shown me.

Beyond him, we hit on A-Rob. We hit on Linder. We hit on Telvin. We hit on Bowanko. C-Smith has flashed. Colvin is back and we'll be able to see what he can do. The only real disappointment so far has been Lee and it's obviously too early to write him out, and when he's had opportunities he's flashed tremendous speed. Sounds like a knock out of the part type draft to me.

Rookies sometimes get worse.  Sometimes they stay the same.  Sometimes they improve.

Just assuming Bortles improves a lot may not be the smartest thing in the world.  

He is one of the most inaccurate quarterbacks I've seen in a long time.  That may be something that holds him back forever, I'm not sure.

I think he can get better, and I have high hopes for him, but it's still too early to think that we have "nailed" our 2014 draft.

Quote:He is one of the most inaccurate quarterbacks I've seen in a long time.  That may be something that holds him back forever, I'm not sure.
What...

Bortles is not inaccurate. He's actually ver accurate when he gets his feet set straight and aligned with his upper body. In terms of accuracy Bortles is probably on par with Bridgewater out of the draft, when his footwork is right. And it shows in his completion percentage. Even if that weren't the case, to say he's the most inaccurate you've ever seen is laughable and just means you haven't watched any football in your life. I can probably name several starting QBs right now who aren't as accurate as Bortles. 

Well his footwork isn't good and all I can judge him on is how his passes look leaving his hand.

And the they look horrible.

Quote:What...

Bortles is not inaccurate. He's actually ver accurate when he gets his feet set straight and aligned with his upper body. In terms of accuracy Bortles is probably on par with Bridgewater out of the draft, when his footwork is right. And it shows in his completion percentage. Even if that weren't the case, to say he's the most inaccurate you've ever seen is laughable and just means you haven't watched any football in your life. I can probably name several starting QBs right now who aren't as accurate as Bortles.

Ok hot shot, name a few.

Bortles has a good completion percentage because he throws 5 yard passes most of the time.

I can count the good accurate passes he threw down the field probably on two hands this entire year.

Part of that is play calling, but man he's been bad.

Actually his completion percentage has gone down since they started handcuffing him. It was higher when he was pushing the ball more. So that's not a good argument on your part. And throws for 20+ yards are literally maybe 5% or less of EVERY offense. Judging how accurate a QB is based on those types of throws is ridiculous, and shows a lack of football knowledge on your part.

And Stanton, the Rams QB, Kyle Orton. All less accurate than Bortles, who is a rookie with footwork problems. When Bortles irons out his footwork to where it no longer creeps up he will be one of the more accurate QBs in the league.

Quote:Actually his completion percentage has gone down since they started handcuffing him. It was higher when he was pushing the ball more. So that's not a good argument on your part. And throws for 20+ yards are literally maybe 5% or less of EVERY offense. Judging how accurate a QB is based on those types of throws is ridiculous, and shows a lack of football knowledge on your part.

And Stanton, the Rams QB, Kyle Orton. All less accurate than Bortles, who is a rookie with footwork problems. When Bortles irons out his footwork to where it no longer creeps up he will be one of the more accurate QBs in the league.

that's a strong assertion to make.

I've watched football long enough to know that sometimes (a lot of times actually), rookies don't make significant improvements.  

I love how this team is on pace to have the worst record in franchise history, and yet some people think Caldwell "nailed" the previous draft.

Quote:I love how this team is on pace to have the worst record in franchise history, and yet some people think Caldwell "nailed" the previous draft.

That is probably not as preposterous as you think.

Quote:I love how this team is on pace to have the worst record in franchise history, and yet some people think Caldwell "nailed" the previous draft.
it's easy to look at things in a vacuum. It's hard to separate the good and the bad. It's called intelligence.

Quote:that's a strong assertion to make.

I've watched football long enough to know that sometimes (a lot of times actually), rookies don't make significant improvements.  
When a rookie QB doesn't improve it's because they've hit a ceiling or have some uncorrectable fatal flaw. Bortles has neither of those problems. He will improve. 

When I got bad grades in school, it was beacuse I was being "handcuffed".

It's not that I was just dumb as rocks