Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Aaron Rodgers footwork when throwing

Of course everyone knows about Rodgers' smooth, quick, and compact throwing motion, but does anyone notice his footwork when he throws?

Pretty much all the top QBs -- Brady, Manning, Luck, Brees, Wilson, etc -- all have their front foot planted and stationary when they throw. Rodgers, on the other hand, seems to "hop" just a tiny bit just before he release the football. I think it's one of the reason why he's able to generate so much power and velocity in his throw.

Anyone knows of any other qb who throws like Rodgers?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bortles

I haven't paid that close attention to his motion but I was going to make a thread on him so I'll put my thoughts here instead.  My goodness is he good.  Scary good.  He's durable, smart, sneaky athletic, has a fantastic arm and weapons galore.

The guy is one of the great ones, no doubt about that.  

I just always get the feeling I'm watching greatness when I watch him throw.  I'm the furthest thing from a Packer fan but with the Jaguars perennially out of it as usual, I hope Aaron gets another ring.

Quote:Bortles

Bortles footwork is horrendous...

Footwork doesn't matter if you are smarter than the other 21 guys on the field.

Quote:Footwork doesn't matter if you are smarter than the other 21 guys on the field.

You mean the 11 guys on the other side.

Quote:You mean the 11 guys on the other side.

No. I mean there are a handful of QB's who are smarter than every single person on the field.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2014, 10:24 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:Footwork doesn't matter if you are smarter than the other 21 guys on the field.

Combine that with having one of the better arms...ever and you have the best QB in football.  Footwork quirks or not.

Quote:No. I mean there are a handful of QBs who are smarter than every single person on the field.

A quarterback does not need to be smarter than his teammates. He needs very high football intelligence, which is not the same thing as being the smartest player on the team.

Quote:I haven't paid that close attention to his motion
You should. It's a thing of beauty.

Two of the things that make AR a great QB are his arm strength and his accuracy.

Of course he has many other great attributes, but if you have a strong arm, are pretty accurate and make good decisions, you will be a successful QB.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote: Two of the things that make AR a great QB are his arm strength and his accuracy.

Of course he has many other great attributes, but if you have a strong arm, are pretty accurate and make good decisions, you will be a successful QB.

Arm strength is the most overrated quarterback attribute. Of course stronger is better, but what happens in his head is a lot more important than how much weight he can bench press.

Quote:Arm strength is the most overrated quarterback attribute. Of course stronger is better, but what happens in his head is a lot more important than how much weight he can bench press.

Yeah, because the brilliant Chad Pennington was totally able to overcome that pop gun attached to his shoulder. Rolleyes

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Arm strength is the most overrated quarterback attribute. Of course stronger is better, but what happens in his head is a lot more important than how much weight he can bench press.

Never heard bench press tied to arm strength before. That is a new one.

Quote:Never heard bench press tied to arm strength before. That is a new one.

Arms lift the bar. The bar's weight total is 225 pounds. So I would think arm strength is required for that one.

How far a quarterback can throw in a game is not an accurate measure of his arm strength because play calls, footwork, and defenses affect that. The only way to isolate arm strength is throw from your knees.

Quote:Arms lift the bar. The bar's weight total is 225 pounds. So I would think arm strength is required for that one.

How far a quarterback can throw in a game is not an accurate measure of his arm strength because play calls, footwork, and defenses affect that. The only way to isolate arm strength is throw from your knees.

The arms (muscles) aren't doing what you think they're doing in a bench press. Yes you use the triceps (and to a lesser extent biceps) in parts of the movement but the barbell bench press is labeled a chest exercise for a reason.

The bar weighs 45 pounds by the way.

Quote:The arms (muscles) aren't doing what you think they're doing in a bench press. Yes you use the triceps (and to a lesser extent biceps) in parts of the movement but the barbell bench press is labeled a chest exercise for a reason.

The bar weighs 45 pounds by the way.

So I would call it an arm and chest exercise. And I said total weight, which includes the weights on the ends, is 225.

Quote:So I would call it an arm and chest exercise. And I said total weight, which includes the weights on the ends, is 225.

Total weight in what way? Are you talking about the 225lb reps they do at the Combine? If so where did that come from? It has nothing to do with anything I remember seeing in this thread.

Bench pressing works more than the arms and chest but it's primary focus is on your chest. It's a chest exercise. Nearly every workout works multiple muscles at once. The impact on each one is different, though?

Quote:Total weight in what way? Are you talking about the 225lb reps they do at the Combine? If so where did that come from? It has nothing to do with anything I remember seeing in this thread.

Bench pressing works more than the arms and chest but it's primary focus is on your chest. It's a chest exercise. Nearly every workout works multiple muscles at once. The impact on each one is different, though?

I am just saying people overrate arm strength because it is not the only factor in how far a ball flies. Yes, it is a nice trait to have, but NFL quarterbacks don't really need it as much as many people think.

Quote:Arms lift the bar. The bar's weight total is 225 pounds. So I would think arm strength is required for that one.

Quote:So I would call it an arm and chest exercise. And I said total weight, which includes the weights on the ends, is 225.

Quote:I am just saying people overrate arm strength because it is not the only factor in how far a ball flies. Yes, it is a nice trait to have, but NFL quarterbacks don't really need it as much as many people think.

For real. What in the hell are you yapping about?