Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
8 team playoff: Week 13

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2014, 01:26 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

So, before the rankings come out, here is how the 8 team format I mentioned previously would look:

Rose Bowl (Big Ten champ vs Pac 12 champ)

Ohio St. vs Oregon

Fiesta Bowl (Big 12 champ vs At-large #1)

TCU vs Mississippi St.

Sugar Bowl (SEC champ vs At large #2)

Alabama. vs Baylor

Orange Bowl

Florida St. vs Ole Miss or other (ACC champ vs At large #3)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So, before the rankings come out, here is how the 8 team format I mentioned previously would look:

Ohio St. vs Oregon

Fiesta Bowl (Pac 12 champ vs At-large #1)

TCU vs Mississippi St.

Alabama. vs Baylor

Orange Bowl

id like to see just how you have them ranked instead of labeling as SEC champ or whatever.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Now, you're getting to the point where the last at-large bid probably doesn't deserve a national title shot, but the tradeoff is not cutting a contender out of the top 4.

Quote:id like to see just how you have them ranked instead of labeling as SEC champ or whatever.

Well, the purpose of this one would be to keep the Bowls happy and affiliated with the same conferences, while still trying to keep it down to only very deserving teams yet making sure no one worthy gets shafted.

I don't think it's a perfect system for crowning a champion, but I think it's the one of the few ones that could actually get the people making the money decisions to get on board.

Quote:Well, the purpose of this one would be to keep the Bowls happy and affiliated with the same conferences, while still trying to keep it down to only very deserving teams yet making sure no one worthy gets shafted.

I don't think it's a perfect system for crowning a champion, but I think it's the one of the few ones that could actually get the people making the money decisions to get on board.

that seems to make things worse so im just gonna bow out of this thread because i dont like that idea and there is no point in arguing it. haha

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:that seems to make things worse so im just gonna bow out of this thread because i dont like that idea and there is no point in arguing it. haha

Sure, in your opinion. This isn't a system I came up with, so I'm not offended that you don't like it. I don't see how it makes things worse than a 4 teams, though. I think there could be better ways of doing it (ie. 6 teams or other formats of 8 teams), but they are all better than a 4 team playoff IMO.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM by jagherd.)

Quote:So, before the rankings come out, here is how the 8 team format I mentioned previously would look:

Ohio St. vs Oregon

Fiesta Bowl (Pac 12 champ vs At-large #1)

TCU vs Mississippi St.

Alabama. vs Baylor

Orange Bowl

I see where you're getting at. But,, where is the Big 12 champ figure into this? Are they relegated to an At-Large bid even though they win a good conference (Big 12 is every bit as good as Big 10/ Pac 12/ ACC). It could be debated that Big 12 is better than all 3 of those conferences.

Oh never mind that. I see that your Fiesta Bowl would be BIG 12 champ. You just have it mislabeled as Pac 12.

Anyway,, I really like the idea of having 3 At-Large teams in the playoff. It gives teams from smaller conferences that may have a stellar year (Boise St,, UCF,, TCU prior to their BIG 12 joining,, etc..).

At-Large places most likely would go to teams from the Big conferences. But it leaves the door open for really good teams of smaller ones. Those teams have shown that they belong due to their bowl games (UCF, BOISE, TCU all won bowl games against power conference teams).

Yup, good catch. The Big 12 winners gets the Fiesta Bowl.

The 4 major bowls still keep their conference affiliations and auto-bids. They stay happy and we aren't forced to stick to 4 teams. It's a happy medium system that could work well, I think.

I like the idea of 8 team over 4 but thats me. Its still weird getting use to the playoff idea or that its happening in the college level now.