Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If the Bears fire Trestman...

Quote:Yeah, the bears are totally under-performing... It gives pause regarding any of their coaching staff.

However... I wouldn't be so quick to say no... I think there are opportunities to upgrade our coordinators at the end of the season if we don't see some signs of better scheming/philosophy and play calling by december.

And he's a good example of the grass isn't always greener on the other side. That same Bears team decided to let Lovie Smith walk after a 10-6 season albeit missing the playoffs in a tough division and with his QB injured during this final stretch. I bet all those fans could take it back now after last nights embarrassment.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, he'd be coming as the OC, not the QB coach, IF he came...

I'm honestly thinking that Bradley keeps his job, provided he throws one or both the coordinators under the bus...

id like to think bradley keeps his job too but i cant imagine that happening if we dont win another game, can you?

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:And he's a good example of the grass isn't always greener on the other side. That same Bears team decided to let Lovie Smith walk after a 10-6 season albeit missing the playoffs in a tough division and with his QB injured during this final stretch. I bet all those fans could take it back now after last nights embarrassment.

Totally agree!  I even remember the first 2 weeks of this year, the bears flashed well.  All the talk radio guys were saying how great everything looked for Trestman, Cutler, and the bears.  Now the wheels have fallen off.  It goes to also show that one must not jump to conclusions too early...  

Quote:id like to think bradley keeps his job too but i cant imagine that happening if we dont win another game, can you?

Dude, if we don't win another game, then he should be fired.  This team has talent enough to win 3 more games, in my opinion.

Even in the worst case, I can see Caldwell sticking with Bradley for 1 more year, but I think there would be a HUGE shakeup with the alot of the remaining coaching staff.  Which I don't think is a bad thing.

If Bradley is a good CEO and knows how to motivate folks, that's something worth keeping around.  But that type of HC needs highly experience and very capable coaches around him that can pick up the technical aspects that Bradley is currently lacking.

If the team keeps showing fight and doesn't quit on Bradley.  I can see him staying.  

Quote:Totally agree!  I even remember the first 2 weeks of this year, the bears flashed well.  All the talk radio guys were saying how great everything looked for Trestman, Cutler, and the bears.  Now the wheels have fallen off.  It goes to also show that one must not jump to conclusions too early...  

Dude, if we don't win another game, then he should be fired.  This team has talent enough to win 3 more games, in my opinion.

Even in the worst case, I can see Caldwell sticking with Bradley for 1 more year, but I think there would be a HUGE shakeup with the alot of the remaining coaching staff.  Which I don't think is a bad thing.

If Bradley is a good CEO and knows how to motivate folks, that's something worth keeping around.  But that type of HC needs highly experience and very capable coaches around him that can pick up the technical aspects that Bradley is currently lacking.

If the team keeps showing fight and doesn't quit on Bradley.  I can see him staying.  

im getting skeptical the team pulls out more than maybe 1 more win. its not just that theyre outclassed, it just still looks like they dont know what theyre supposed to be doing on defense.

on offense, things just arent clicking, im not sure how long it should take with how green everyone is but i certainly would think it will be the next 1 or 2 games before we should see some glimpses of it coming together.

at the least, fisch needs to be replaced immediately, he is totally outcoached.

at the most, the coaching staff needs to be replaced altogether.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:im getting skeptical the team pulls out more than maybe 1 more win. its not just that theyre outclassed, it just still looks like they dont know what theyre supposed to be doing on defense.

on offense, things just arent clicking, im not sure how long it should take with how green everyone is but i certainly would think it will be the next 1 or 2 games before we should see some glimpses of it coming together.

at the least, fisch needs to be replaced immediately, he is totally outcoached.

at the most, the coaching staff needs to be replaced altogether.

Yesterday was ugly.  There's no doubt about it...  But...  I think overall, the defense has been night and day better over the past 5 weeks as compared to the first 3 weeks.

Also, something that's been running around in my head...  I guess now's a good a time as any to bring it up:

Have you noticed how strong we look in the first 15 minutes of every game?  Like practically every game this season, we've looked like the better team in the 1st quarter.  But after that, the other team figures us out, and we're toast...

This is why I feel like the talent on this team is there.  It's something that happens between the 2nd quarter and on into the 2nd half where all of a sudden the play calling get's bland and the D get's figured out...  That's again why I have little faith in the coaches.

But I feel like the players can execute well.  They just need a staff that can keep them ahead of the other team in terms of scheme, play calling, and preparation.

Have you noticed this?  In terms of how we perform in the 1st Quarter versus the rest of the game?

Here's an idea in theme with the OP (don't mean to hijack). If Harbaugh decides to leave/gets fired would anyone be opposed to bringing in Greg Roman in as OC?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Here's an idea in theme with the OP (don't mean to hijack). If Harbaugh decides to leave/gets fired would anyone be opposed to bringing in Greg Roman in as OC?

No problem, it's all good and hypothetical football talk. I'm the last one on this board who is still rooting for Fisch to keep his job, but it's because I like the guy as a person, but an upgrade like Roman would get no bad words from me. He was almost our coach before we hired away Bradley.

Quote:Yeah, he'd be coming as the OC, not the QB coach, IF he came...

I'm honestly thinking that Bradley keeps his job, provided he throws one or both the coordinators under the bus...

Bradley doesn't come across as the type of guy that would throw others under the bus. If he's given a third year to coach the team, which I believe he should and will, then we can really say they gave it a shot.

Given the scale of the rebuild, I think it's what's best at this point. Changing coaches and coordinators after two years is still a risk even if you think it's the better option; it may not pan out either... it's objective. I think for as young as the team is, it's the better play to keep some continuity and not completely overhaul the coaching staff.

Say what you want about Bradley's coaching, it would be hard to argue looking at the record, but they have completely changed the outlook in Jacksonville. I think three years is fair considering the near 100% turnover that took place a year ago.

Quote:Here's an idea in theme with the OP (don't mean to hijack). If Harbaugh decides to leave/gets fired would anyone be opposed to bringing in Greg Roman in as OC?

LOL, I thew out Cam Cameron yesterday.  I've kept to myself the thought of trying to poach Lane Kiffin, for crying out loud!

I think we're all pretty much at that point where it feels like the darkest it's every been.  

I just try to keep telling myself that it's about to turn around.  I honestly feel like our players are ready to get there.  I'm just wishing and hoping this coaching staff can figure it out soon.  But from what I'm seeing so far, I have my doubts.  

Quote:Bradley doesn't come across as the type of guy that would throw others under the bus. If he's given a third year to coach the team, which I believe he should and will, then we can really say they gave it a shot.

Given the scale of the rebuild, I think it's what's best at this point. Changing coaches and coordinators after two years is still a risk even if you think it's the better option; it may not pan out either... it's objective. I think for as young as the team is, it's the better play to keep some continuity and not completely overhaul the coaching staff.

Say what you want about Bradley's coaching, it would be hard to argue looking at the record, but they have completely changed the outlook in Jacksonville. I think three years is fair considering the near 100% turnover that took place a year ago.

I won't be one of those people that goes screaming from the top of the mountain to fire anyone.  Fortunately, in the Jungle, we are all just spit ballin'.  

If Bradley stays, I'm OK with it to a certain extent.  He's a new HC and is still trying to figure things out.  The team is still playing hard and haven't given up.  If this continues then I think he's a good motivator and should stick around.  But I honestly do think that his staff needs to be revamped.  Sometimes revamping is the proper thing to do.   If something isn't working, try something new.  All good managers realize this.  It goes for coaching as well...

Fish and Babich have untill the end of week 17 to really show us a leap of progression.  And as long as the team doesn't quit on Bradley, then I think everyone comes back next year.  If the team doesn't quit on bradley, the the offense is still looking the same and the D is still the same, then I think the coordinators are in trouble.

That seems fair, doesn't it?  And again, this is all just speculation.  Obviously nothing anyone says on here really matters.  I'm just looking at it from a manner that seems the most rational from a management perspective.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2014, 10:45 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:LOL, I thew out Cam Cameron yesterday. I've kept to myself the thought of trying to poach Lane Kiffin, for crying out loud!

I think we're all pretty much at that point where it feels like the darkest it's every been.

I just try to keep telling myself that it's about to turn around. I honestly feel like our players are ready to get there. I'm just wishing and hoping this coaching staff can figure it out soon. But from what I'm seeing so far, I have my doubts.
I honestly feel that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. And its not an incoming train for once. I'm hoping it eventually clicks and we don't have to be having this conversation this time next year. The core talent is in place. We got our QB of the future. Khan and Caldwell are on record indicating we will be spending money come free agent time. We just have to hope it all comes together on the field.

Otherwise....it'll be time for a new regime and a potentially new rebuild. Wallbash

I'm not a big Roman fan. I'd say no to him at OC.

Quote:I honestly feel that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. And its not an incoming train for once. I'm hoping it eventually clicks and we don't have to be having this conversation this time next year. The core talent is in place. We got our QB of the future. Khan and Caldwell are on record indicating we will be spending money come free agent time. We just have to hope it all comes together on the field.

Otherwise....it'll be time for a new regime and a potentially new rebuild. Wallbash

No I agree.  I think we are primed for a major turn around.  I even still have faith in Cyp.  Even after yesterday's horrible performance!  

One thing though...  Even if we do have to fire bradley...  Not saying that he should be fired...  Just saying in the hypothetical...

I don't think this team would need to be rebuild again in the way we just experienced.  I think what happened under Gene Smith really was the issue where they had to gut the entire thing.

The next coach that would come in would be more of a situation that occurs when a stronger HC comes in to finally take the team in the right direction.   

Quote:No I agree. I think we are primed for a major turn around. I even still have faith in Cyp. Even after yesterday's horrible performance!

One thing though... Even if we do have to fire bradley... Not saying that he should be fired... Just saying in the hypothetical...

I don't think this team would need to be rebuild again in the way we just experienced. I think what happened under Gene Smith really was the issue where they had to gut the entire thing.

The next coach that would come in would be more of a situation that occurs when a stronger HC comes in to finally take the team in the right direction.

An entire rebuild from the ground up? No. But major changes would be made nonetheless. As I cited in my previous post, the D-line would be gone for sure, potentially the O-Line if the new coach prefers a power blocking scheme over ZBS, and the biggest change would be potentially Bortles if the HC prefers his own QB. Then you have to factor in if the potential HC would want full control (Harbaugh). Would you be willing to let Caldwell walk?

Quote:An entire rebuild from the ground up? No. But major changes would be made nonetheless. As I cited in my previous post, the D-line would be gone for sure, potentially the O-Line if the new coach prefers a power blocking scheme over ZBS, and the biggest change would be potentially Bortles if the HC prefers his own QB. Then you have to factor in if the potential HC would want full control (Harbaugh). Would you be willing to let Caldwell walk?

I'm not going to say I know the intricacies of a zone blocking system versus man blocking.  But I wonder if it would mean revamping the entire personell to do that.  Same with the D-Line.  You're right though, there may be some pieces that need to be reworked, but I think we still have the key blocks in some needed positions.  

I'm just not buying the idea that firing the HC means we're gonna lose a year of progress.  Heck if the HC is bad, keeping him an extra year would also do the same thing.  That's all I'm saying.

But I believe it was you that brought up Jason Garrett...  Bradley may just need to revamp his staff.  

Again, this is just the bye week so there is still plenty of season for this team to start really improving.  But this is the point at which I am anxious to see consistent progress.

I'm talking like a full 2 quarters of awesomeness, and not just 1 quarter...    :woot:

We don't have Jeffery, Marshall and Bennett to throw to though.

No pain, no gain.

I'm still not sold on the bears letting him go this early on.

Quote:We don't have Jeffery, Marshall and Bennett to throw to though.

Trestman does and still sucks.

Roman isn't thought that highly of around these parts, I'd be leery.

I also think the Caldwell/Bradley/Roman dynamic would be worrisome.

Quote:Yesterday was ugly.  There's no doubt about it...  But...  I think overall, the defense has been night and day better over the past 5 weeks as compared to the first 3 weeks.

Also, something that's been running around in my head...  I guess now's a good a time as any to bring it up:

Have you noticed how strong we look in the first 15 minutes of every game?  Like practically every game this season, we've looked like the better team in the 1st quarter.  But after that, the other team figures us out, and we're toast...

This is why I feel like the talent on this team is there.  It's something that happens between the 2nd quarter and on into the 2nd half where all of a sudden the play calling get's bland and the D get's figured out...  That's again why I have little faith in the coaches.

But I feel like the players can execute well.  They just need a staff that can keep them ahead of the other team in terms of scheme, play calling, and preparation.

Have you noticed this?  In terms of how we perform in the 1st Quarter versus the rest of the game?
Actually I would say thats a good argument that we have good coaches. If you pencil whip em at first, it means you know what your doing, if the team cant keep it up that makes me think the other coachs adjust, and our players cant.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.