Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2015 First Draft Pick

It is a little more than half way through the season so players are beginning to line up for the 2015 draft.  Here is a look at some of the top non QB who could be the Jaguars' selection.

Leonard Williams, DT, Southern Cal - Considered by many to be the best non QB in the 2015 draft.  Not much of a need for a DT on the Jaguars current roster.

Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska - Clemons is not producing like expected and he is getting older.  Gregory would strengthen the Jaguars pass rush long term.

Landon Collins, S, Alabama - Listed as a SS with the ability to play FS.  If the Jaguars staff thinks he can handle the FS position, then he would be my top choice.  The Jaguars are in desperate need of a FS who can tackle.

Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa - Would play RT for the Jaguars.  Obviously too high a pick for a RT one would think.

Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington - Jaguars need to upgrade their LB corps like they upgraded the DL last year.  Need multiple picks/free agents.

If Shorts is not resigned, the Jaguars may consider adding a WR to this list.

Looks like Gregory, Collins, or Thompson could be a Jaguar in 2015.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Leonard Williams, DT, Southern Cal - Considered by many to be the best non QB in the 2015 draft. Not much of a need for a DT on the Jaguars current roster.

How is DT not a need. Miller is currently set to be a free agent. We will need a DT if he is not resigned. That said after watching the Ohio State game, I would enjoy having Michael Bennett.

Leonard Williams could probably lineup anywhere on the defensive line, not just DT.

Quote:Leonard Williams could probably lineup anywhere on the defensive line, not just DT.
This. He's going to be a beast.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2014, 04:18 PM by Markulous.)

I'll take Gregory now.  I'm not opposed to taking a tackle maybe if they are the best player there.  Joeckel has continued to struggle and so has Pasztor.  I haven't watched Scherff yet though so I can't comment on that.

Very likely that either Williams or Gregory will be a Jag net year. I would not trade down if either is available as both appear to be impactful defensive players. Of course, the Jags have several need areas like free safety, tight end, linebacker and offensive line depth but they should be able to address 2 of these in free agency. Take the best available player and that will be Williams or Gregory.

Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace, University of Miami.   That's my pick. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Quote:How is DT not a need. Miller is currently set to be a free agent. We will need a DT if he is not resigned. That said after watching the Ohio State game, I would enjoy having Michael Bennett.

Exactly. Williams would be a great addition.

I personally would take Gregory or trade down and get Shawn Oakman. 

Quote:I personally would take Gregory or trade down and get Shawn Oakman.

This 100%

Williams//Gregory or Oakman via trade down

Williams can play any position along the line except the Leo...he would be an impact upgrade over Alualu//Bryant and Miller and given some seasoning be better than Marks at the UT type DT.

Doesn't Shawn Oakman remind you of JJ Watt? Same weight except Oakman is 4 inches taller than JJ Watt, Shawn can play DE, DT. We can rotate him around would be really good for this team. 

Quote:Doesn't Shawn Oakman remind you of JJ Watt? Same weight except Oakman is 4 inches taller than JJ Watt, Shawn can play DE, DT. We can rotate him around would be really good for this team. 

oakman is a physical specimen but he does not remind me of jj watt. just because a player is the same weight doesnt mean theyre similar, your argument is contradictory btw.... if a player is 4 inches taller and the same weight as the shorter player, then that defines a different body style.

the problem with oakman is his work ethic, they say. if he plays relentless and with a non stop motor like jj watt.... hes a sure fire first rounder thats going to cause havoc in the backfield. can he achieve that? id be willing to find out. i predict either way he has a better career than clowney and he is one of my favorite players that might be available to the jaguars in this draft if we wind up picking mid to late rd 1.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

The youtube clip was hilarious !!

Surprised by all the support for Williams.  He would play the same DT position as Sen'Derrick Marks, although he could play the same DE as Red Bryant.  Miller is the "nose" tackle in our 4-3 defense.  So Williams doesn't fit the type of player to plug in for Miller.

DL is the strongest position group on the current roster.  But when the team looks to the future both Clemons and Bryant are over 30, so I'm not eliminating a DL from being the first draft choice.

Just watching the game the FS position appears to be giving up the most yards and the most explosive plays.  So I think upgrading the FS position would strengthen the defense the most.  Now how to upgrade that position - first or second round draft choice or free agency?

There are two QB at the top of most mock drafts.  So unless the Jaguars catch fire after the break, the team may be able to trade back in the first round to pick up an OLB and have an extra pick.  The LB corps is the weakest position group and needs multiple additions.

So the team has lots of viable options, but I'm still looking at FS as the key to improving the defense.

Quote:Surprised by all the support for Williams.  He would play the same DT position as Sen'Derrick Marks, although he could play the same DE as Red Bryant.  Miller is the "nose" tackle in our 4-3 defense.  So Williams doesn't fit the type of player to plug in for Miller.

DL is the strongest position group on the current roster.  But when the team looks to the future both Clemons and Bryant are over 30, so I'm not eliminating a DL from being the first draft choice.

Just watching the game the FS position appears to be giving up the most yards and the most explosive plays.  So I think upgrading the FS position would strengthen the defense the most.  Now how to upgrade that position - first or second round draft choice or free agency?

There are two QB at the top of most mock drafts.  So unless the Jaguars catch fire after the break, the team may be able to trade back in the first round to pick up an OLB and have an extra pick.  The LB corps is the weakest position group and needs multiple additions.

So the team has lots of viable options, but I'm still looking at FS as the key to improving the defense.

The biggest thing is this year's FS prospects aren't the rangy centerfield types...which is what we would need.  Those FS types don't really show up in this year's draft and have "value" until the 3rd round.  Taking Collins would be a waste and Prewitt any earlier than the 3rd is a waste.

While DL may be our "deepest" position on the team it also happens to be the "deepest" position in the early draft sans the QBs which we don't need. If a "better" prospect happens to be DL you don't skip over him for a "lesser" prospect just because he is DL.

Overall this draft is really lacking in 1st round type DBs...Collins is SS...Peters got kicked off team..I.K.O is really small...

I'm all for more DLineman

Williams could take the five tech position from Bryant and be beastly. I'd be on board with that pick. I'd also love to see Gregory in a Jaguars uniform next year. Naming specific players right now is an exercise in futility given how much rankings can change between now and the draft, but in general, I'm thinking we end up going offensive or defensive line in the first round, and OL/DL, defensive back or linebacker in the second.

Collins doesn't make a ton of sense in this defense. He would be a tweener in this defense: not rangy enough to be a free safety, not powerful enough in the box to play strong. There is no Earl Thomas in this draft, which means the Jaguars have three choices: draft a corner in two or three and convert him to free safety, draft a "compromise" safety who isn't a perfect fit schematically or go after a safety in free agency. All are viable options, although I'm not sure who the pending FA safeties are this year.

Quote:The biggest thing is this year's FS prospects aren't the rangy centerfield types...which is what we would need.  Those FS types don't really show up in this year's draft and have "value" until the 3rd round.  Taking Collins would be a waste and Prewitt any earlier than the 3rd is a waste.

While DL may be our "deepest" position on the team it also happens to be the "deepest" position in the early draft sans the QBs which we don't need. If a "better" prospect happens to be DL you don't skip over him for a "lesser" prospect just because he is DL.

Overall this draft is really lacking in 1st round type DBs...Collins is SS...Peters got kicked off team..I.K.O is really small...
Holliman is a rangy centerfield type FS that is almost guaranteed to be drafted in the 1st round. Collins can play FS just fine, too.  

I don't think we will really find our true FS  in this draft, maybe just a guy to test out but no way this draft has a Earl thomas Eric berry type players. I say Shawn Oakman with trade down yields us 2 2nd rounders and use one for ILB and use one to trade up if Devin Funchness falls into the late 20s