Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offseason focus: 2015 - offense, 2016 - defense, 2017 - trenches?

I'm expecting this offseason to be all about the trenches. Coughlin's m.o. was often big guys early, and Marrone seems completely on board. “As I have mentioned before, building through the trenches will be a key for our team going forward" - Marrone.

I couldn't agree more. I think most positions behind the lines have decent options, and its undeniable how much of a help it is to everything if you win at the LOS. Look at Dallas, look at the Falcons. I think we missed last year on Alex Mack, we could have been much more secure with Mack at C and Linder at G.

Build from the trenches and everything will be better.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love it.

Let's get JPP/Jon Allen for the defense and Rick Wagner/Dan Feeney for the offense.

Needs to happen. 

Lots more horses in the stable for that D-Line than the offensive counterpart currently, so I anticipate a bit more focus on the O-Line. 

Quote:Needs to happen. 

Lots more horses in the stable for that D-Line than the offensive counterpart currently, so I anticipate a bit more focus on the O-Line. 
i agree, but horses in the d-line stable is never a bad thing either.

I could see this happening and would make sense on a lot of levels.

I wouldn't object to a trade down and landing Robinson (though only Shack has managed to trade down of all of our GMs).

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Trade down,pick Robinson and then go get Feeney in round 2 if he is there.

We also need a running back.

Every team in the playoffs have a good running back.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

This is what I figure. The team has lost the LOS for way too long. If you want to win, you have to win the LOS. I'd like to see us improve the offensive line, obviously, but also add another DT and DE.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:We also need a running back.

Green Bay doesn't even have a starting full time running bac

Quote:Needs to happen. 

I'd be slightly upset if they addressed the OL, over the DL at #4 in this draft (granted that's mostly if either Garrett or Allen are still there). The DL at the top is much heavier than the OL.

If we trade down and address the OL, awesome. I just don't see how the #4 pick couldn't be on the Defensive side of the ball in this draft though.

Trenches and run game.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:I'd be slightly upset if they addressed the OL, over the DL at #4 in this draft (granted that's mostly if either Garrett or Allen are still there). The DL at the top is much heavier than the OL.

If we trade down and address the OL, awesome. I just don't see how the #4 pick couldn't be on the Defensive side of the ball in this draft though.
I'm talking about numbers of upgraded players needed. Not draft position. Need/Value in the draft will sort itself out. Right now it doesn't look like there's a clear cut O-Line prospect worthy of a #4 pick. 

I'd still like to see a guard taken prior to round four, a tackle taken somewhere in the draft and a FA push to get a Zeitler or Wagner type-of-player signed. 

Quote:I'm expecting this offseason to be all about the trenches. Coughlin's m.o. was often big guys early, and Marrone seems completely on board. “As I have mentioned before, building through the trenches will be a key for our team going forward" - Marrone.

I couldn't agree more. I think most positions behind the lines have decent options, and its undeniable how much of a help it is to everything if you win at the LOS. Look at Dallas, look at the Falcons. I think we missed last year on Alex Mack, we could have been much more secure with Mack at C and Linder at G.

Build from the trenches and everything will be better.

I totally agree and I hope that's what they do.

Quote:Green Bay doesn't even have a starting full time running bac

The Packers former starting RB,  Eddie Lacy,  likely played his last down for them.  

Quote:We also need a running back.

Your definition of "good running back" must be wide.  Who is the Patriots "good running back" is it Blount? Is it Lewis? (Depends on after which game you watch right).  What about Green Bay?  

The real statement is every team in the playoffs has an elite level Quarterback sans the Chiefs and the Cowboys (Although theirs is playing elite).  Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, then you have Dak and Alex Smith.

Any guesses on who wins tonight?  The final four is going to be elite level QB U, RB's be darned.

RBs barely matter.  They matter typically during the last 4 games of the regular season.

Quote:Your definition of "good running back" must be wide. Who is the Patriots "good running back" is it Blount? Is it Lewis? (Depends on after which game you watch right). What about Green Bay?

The real statement is every team in the playoffs has an elite level Quarterback sans the Chiefs and the Cowboys (Although theirs is playing elite). Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, then you have Dak and Alex Smith.

Any guesses on who wins tonight? The final four is going to be elite level QB U, RB's be darned.

RBs barely matter. They matter typically during the last 4 games of the regular season.

Leveon Bell,Freeman,Coleman and Zeke say hi

Quote:Your definition of "good running back" must be wide. Who is the Patriots "good running back" is it Blount? Is it Lewis? (Depends on after which game you watch right). What about Green Bay?

The real statement is every team in the playoffs has an elite level Quarterback sans the Chiefs and the Cowboys (Although theirs is playing elite). Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, then you have Dak and Alex Smith.

Any guesses on who wins tonight? The final four is going to be elite level QB U, RB's be darned.

RBs barely matter. They matter typically during the last 4 games of the regular season.

You do realize Blount had 1100 yards and 18 TD's this year right, or are you just going to ignore that.

Green Bay hasn't had a full time running back but are still better then us at running the ball.

Did I say anything about not needing a good QB? No I didn't.

Downgrade RB all you want but you have to be balanced to win and we're not even close.

Quote:You do realize Blount had 1100 yards and 18 TD's this year right, or are you just going to ignore that.

Green Bay hasn't had a full time running back but are still better then us at running the ball.

Did I say anything about not needing a good QB? No I didn't.

Downgrade RB all you want but you have to be balanced to win and we're not even close.

When you win you get balance.  You need an elite quarterback playing at an elite level to win.  That is all.

Like I said you're going to have Green Bay vs Atlanta and New England vs Pittsburgh and it'll be clear as day that elite quarterbacks win.  It's nice to have a good running back (Bell) but you can do it with secondary RBs (Blout, Montgomery, Freeman/Coleman) when your passing game is elite.

Quote:When you win you get balance. You need an elite quarterback playing at an elite level to win. That is all.

Like I said you're going to have Green Bay vs Atlanta and New England vs Pittsburgh and it'll be clear as day that elite quarterbacks win. It's nice to have a good running back (Bell) but you can do it with secondary RBs (Blout, Montgomery, Freeman/Coleman) when your passing game is elite.

Where did I say we needed an elite running back and we could do fine with average QB play. I said good, good =\= elite. balance doesn't just magically come because your winning games, you have to have a RB capable of running for more then 50 yards a game which we don't.

Where is this magical elite QB coming from this year?