Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Raiders to file to move to Las Vegas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...d-to-vegas

I like the move. Raiders stay in the area and probably expand their brand.

Rams and Chargers should vote against it seeing how the Raiders will only be 5hrs away.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wow I love Vegas but can't see how it supports an NFL team

Quote:Wow I love Vegas but can't see how it supports an NFL team
This. Although, I guess I would consider a Jags at Raiders in Vegas as two birds with one stone type of trip. Vegas + Jags sounds deeeelicious!. :woot:

If every other visiting teams fans think the same they will sell out. Wont be much of a home advantage for them though.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:This. Although, I guess I would consider a Jags at Raiders in Vegas as two birds with one stone type of trip. Vegas + Jags sounds deeeelicious!. :woot:

If every other visiting teams fans think the same they will sell out. Wont be much of a home advantage for them though.
This is my thoughts exactly. Would be a heck of a weekend.

I'd love to go to Vegas and "Just win, baby".

With 3 teams relocating in two years, I can't help but remember the intro to Baseketball while I mull over the thought of this being the beginning of the end of the NFL.

Mark Cuban is a dorchester bag, but he's a billionaire and an excellent business man. He said a few years back that the NFL's downfall will be it's own greed, and my God, his words are unfolding before my own eyes.

Enjoy it ladies and gents, because I don't see this thing ending well.

Quote:This. Although, I guess I would consider a Jags at Raiders in Vegas as two birds with one stone type of trip. Vegas + Jags sounds deeeelicious!. :woot:

The Raiders are probably banking on people from California and elsewhere to make weekend trips to help offset fans of other teams making weekend trips.   It's going to be interesting when the Raiders host the Broncos,  being that the Broncos largest portion of their fan base isn't that far away either.  

Visiting teams will buy tickets.  You will get some influx but Vegas is doing a lot to round out the entertainment choices.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:With 3 teams relocating in two years, I can't help but remember the intro to Baseketball while I mull over the thought of this being the beginning of the end of the NFL.

Mark Cuban is a dorchester bag, but he's a billionaire and an excellent business man. He said a few years back that the NFL's downfall will be it's own greed, and my God, his words are unfolding before my own eyes.

Mark Cuban also thinks Russel Westbrook isn't a super star.

Quote:Mark Cuban also thinks Russel Westbrook isn't a super star.
Still doesn't change the fact that the NFL may be outdoing it self here and we are starting to see the slow unraveling of the NFL. I doubt it, free movement is not a problem with me if it is approved by the NFL, but really if you keep moving franchises and team support flounders/owners go bankrupt or sell... You could be looking at another move, or financial instability. The NFL is losing popularity right now, not the best time to be  seeking high risk, expensive business ventures. 

Quote:With 3 teams relocating in two years, I can't help but remember the intro to Baseketball while I mull over the thought of this being the beginning of the end of the NFL.

I think moving the teams to fickle markets will be the problem. Vegas and LA are two fun places to visit, but there is a lot of competition for your entertainment dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 out of 3 fail in their new home.

Quote:I think moving the teams to fickle markets will be the problem. Vegas and LA are two fun places to visit, but there is a lot of competition for your entertainment dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 out of 3 fail in their new home.

I'm not sure what fail means, but even failing teams in his league make huge amounts of money. So as long as a team has a new modern stadium, It would take 30 years for the market to fail. However, I could see a scenario with the city of San Diego working out an approved stadium deal to lure the Chargers back in the next 5 years. Of course, its all about the money and that is the only situation I could see where a team would relocate due to a non-stadium issue. The fans in LA are just not going to support two teams and I think Spanos knows this. 

If I were the Chargers ownership, I'd be seriously concerned about viability in the LA market. I'd also be ashamed of ripping a team out of a market it clearly belongs in. 

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017, 07:33 PM by wrong_box.)

they will finally have something of their own, as opposed to their city being a mecca for out of staters to flock to...The locals have nothing to call their own per se and they may just love to have an NFL franchise to call their own

​Yeah I don't get Chargers ownership thinking they will compete well in the LA market. It will be a super embarrassing season if they struggle filling a soccer pitch. I don't blame them for avoiding the toilet bowel that is the Coliseum.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:​Yeah I don't get Chargers ownership thinking they will compete well in the LA market. It will be a super embarrassing season if they struggle filling a soccer pitch. I don't blame them for avoiding the toilet bowel that is the Coliseum.

At least two Chargers games will be sold out because Raiders and Broncos fans are going fill up the stadium.   What happens with games against other opponents that don't have a large following in the west is going to be very interesting to see.  

Just imagining the tail gating in Vegas and all of the people that will flock to the stadium to try and get you to buy drugs, prostitutes, and all the glories of Vegas

Whether they actually would/do support the team remains to be seen.  But Vegas isn't a totally transient community.  It is the 28th most populated city in the United States and has had several growth spurts in the last 20/30 years.

"Las Vegas was settled in 1905 and officially incorporated in 1911. At the close of the 20th century, it was the most populated American city founded within that century (a similar distinction earned by Chicago in the 1800s). Population growth has accelerated since the 1960s, and between 1990 and 2000 the population nearly doubled, increasing by 85.2%. Rapid growth has continued into the 21st century, and according to a 2013 estimate, the population is 603,488 with a regional population of 2,027,828."
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I think a franchise can be very successful in Las Vegas. Don't blame the Raiders for moving there. They will be the main show, in terms of sports, in that area. And the area, as Rico pointed out, is growing exponentially. New market should mean more money for the NFL, meaning new fans.

Los Angeles on the other hand... bad idea for two teams to move there.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:  The Raiders are probably banking on people from California and elsewhere to make weekend trips to help offset fans of other teams making weekend trips.   It's going to be interesting when the Raiders host the Broncos,  being that the Broncos largest portion of their fan base isn't that far away either.  

Maybe their LA fanbase would do that.  Vegas is a weekend trip from there.  People from the Bay Area who want to go gambling take a weekend trip to Reno.

My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2017, 12:37 PM by D6.)

Quote:Maybe their LA fanbase would do that.  Vegas is a weekend trip from there.  People from the Bay Area who want to go gambling take a weekend trip to Reno.

A couple of things working in Mark Davis favor if he moves the Raiders to Las Vegas or San Diego for that matter are the Raiders have a larger and more extensive fan base than most teams and he's not getting the type of heat most owners do when they attempt to move a team.   Even though that Oakland and Alameda County have failed to come up with a decent stadium proposal to keep the Raiders in the East Bay Area,   I'm very surprised with how little overall heat that Davis is taking in that region.    On the other hand,  Dean Spanos is being ripped to shreds in the San Diego area,    My impression is the Raiders will keep a large portion of their Oakland/ Bay area fan base even if the team moves.     That doesn't appear to be the case with the Chargers in terms of their San Diego area fans.

Somehow the Raiders have the worst attendance in the NFL this season.  Even with a really good team.  The move to Vegas seems obvious.  I dont believe attendance will be all that great out there either.  But you get the perks of a new stadium plus all the gambling money buying up all the suites and club level tix.  

NFL is less about the game and more about the experience/entertainment.  Vegas is an obvious spot.  I like the move for them.