Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The 2014 Jags are already better than the 2013 Jags

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014, 06:47 PM by knarnn.)

A nice piece by Alfie looking at the numbers. Here are a few excerpts:

Quote:First of all, the team is more competitive than they were last season through the first nine weeks. Last year the Jaguars had a 178 point differential through Week 9 (in only 8 games) while this season it's just 110, with an extra game factored in. They've given up 68 less points at this point, even though the start of the season was so awful.

Through the last six games the Jaguars have been in every game entering the fourth quarter
and if a few plays go differently, they could have two to three more wins. Part of that is because the defense is playing better than it was at this point last year and the offense is playing better than it was at this point last year.
Quote:The Jaguars offense is easily outpacing last years offense with half of the players starting/contributing as rookies. It took a few weeks to get things sorted out, which isn't uncommon when a team has a high turnover rate and when the team is exceedingly young, but over the past four to five weeks the Jaguars have settled in and now they just need to learn how to win. Last season at this point they'd scored single digits in half their games. This year they've scored single digits just once.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/11/4/7154257/jacksonville-jaguars-improvement-2014-comparison-2013'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/11/4/7154257/jacksonville-jaguars-improvement-2014-comparison-2013</a>

This years team has outpaced last years team in most categories:

Total offense per game 278.4 yards (2013), 319.6 (2014) difference: +41.2 yards

Total defense per game 388 yards (2013), 386 (2014) difference: +2

Points scored per game 12.78 (2013), 15.67 (2014) difference: +2.89

Points allowed per game 32.3 (2013), 27.9 (2014) difference: +4.4

Rushing yards per game 65 (2013), 101.1 (2014) difference: +36.1

Passing yards per game 213 (2013), 212 (2014) difference: -1

Turnovers forced 11 (2013), 10 (2014) difference: -1

The only areas in need of improvement is passing offense and winning the turnover battle. Both will begin to gain traction to the positive side as Bortles and our rookie WRs develop in this offense.

The next step of improvement will need to come in the Win/Loss column and I fully expect that to happen as this young team grows and the mistakes become fewer.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:A nice piece by Alfie looking at the numbers. Here are a few excerpts:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/11/4/7154257/jacksonville-jaguars-improvement-2014-comparison-2013'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/11/4/7154257/jacksonville-jaguars-improvement-2014-comparison-2013</a>

This years team has outpaced last years team in most categories:

Total offense per game 278.4 yards (2013), 319.6 (2014) difference: +41.2 yards

Total defense per game 388 yards (2013), 386 (2014) difference: +2

Points scored per game 12.78 (2013), 15.67 (2014) difference: +2.89

Points allowed per game 32.3 (2013), 27.9 (2014) difference: +4.4

Rushing yards per game 65 (2013), 101.1 (2014) difference: +36.1

Passing yards per game 213 (2013), 212 (2014) difference: -1

Turnovers forced 11 (2013), 10 (2014) difference: -1

The only areas in need of improvement is passing offense and winning the turnover battle. Both will begin to gain traction to the positive side as Bortles and our rookie WRs develop in this offense.

The next step of improvement will need to come in the Win/Loss column and I fully expect that to happen as this young team grows and the mistakes become fewer.

so overall, not much difference, really. 

more total yards/ and more rushing yards. Less of a point differential (but still bottom 2 or 3 in the NFL in that category). 

One area that is a significant improvement is QB sacks are way up. We're like 3rd overall in the NFL, which is outstanding. The fact that the Jags are usually behind in games makes that stat even more impressive as there are less obvious passing downs for the opponent. 

Throw out the 2014 Henne games and there is a very stark difference offensively. 

Quote:so overall, not much difference, really. 

more total yards/ and more rushing yards. Less of a point differential (but still bottom 2 or 3 in the NFL in that category). 

One area that is a significant improvement is QB sacks are way up. We're like 3rd overall in the NFL, which is outstanding. The fact that the Jags are usually behind in games makes that stat even more impressive as there are less obvious passing downs for the opponent. 

Statistically, not much.  The eye test tells a whole another story.

Quote:Throw out the 2014 Henne games and there is a very stark difference offensively. 

I think the biggest difference between the 2 seasons is the production at RB (Denard). 

Henne last year and Blake this year really haven't been that much different production wise. Now, I anticipate Blake obviously getting better in that dept over time. 

Quote: 

Henne last year and Blake this year really haven't been that much different production wise. Now, I anticipate Blake obviously getting better in that dept over time. 
The difference in the run game is plain as day. The QB stuff has to be projected IMO.  

I'd wager that Blake ends up averaging about 240 yds per game this season compared to Henne's roughly 215 per game last year  -   and his third down conversion numbers will certainly be much better.   Add in around 450 or so rushing  yards on the season and I see a substantial difference coming between those two.  It may not be apparent at this point, but it's easy to see coming. 

Quote:The difference in the run game is plain as day. The QB stuff has to be projected IMO.  

I'd wager that Blake ends up averaging about 240 yds per game this season compared to Henne's roughly 215 per game last year  -   and his third down conversion numbers will certainly be much better.   Add in around 450 or so rushing  yards on the season and I see a substantial difference coming between those two.  It may not be apparent at this point, but it's easy to see coming. 

I'm hopeful to see a significant uptick in Blake's play after the bye. 

Quote:I'm hopeful to see a significant uptick in Blake's play after the bye. 
 He's already averaged 235 yds per game in the past 6 games.  A significant uptick would really contrast his numbers to Henne's. 

I'm hopeful as well.  :thumbsup:

Stats look nice, but the eye test is better.  If you line up the two teams against each other at this stage in the season, this years team crushes last years.  Last year's team would have trouble scoring double digits IMO and this offense would move the ball with ease against last year's catastrophic D.

So this year's turd stinks less than last year's turd?  Whoopie

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Improvement is nice. Love seeing the stats and just seeing the team grow.

That's great. Somehow I can't get ramped up over a 1-8 team.

Show me the money!

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:So this year's turd stinks less than last year's turd?  Whoopie

This made me laugh.... We are still 1-8 but it's a different 1-8!

Quote:This made me laugh.... We are still 1-8 but it's a different 1-8!
Well it's a more watchable 1-8 at least.  After all these years of support, we should get paid to watch the Jags, not vice versa.  It's tough being a Jags fan!

'Already'?  haha