Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles was put into a nightmare scenario

1. He did not practice at all in the offseason to be the starter.  Henne got all of the reps as the starter.  This decision hurts now.  He lost valuable reps to some guy who lost his job to  very raw rookie.

2. There are 0 veteran leaders on the offense to turn too.  Who can he take advice from?

3. This team is too young.  There are no reliable targets aside from maybe A Robinson.  Lee is invisible, Hurns shows up some games, Shorts has trouble seeing the field, and who do we have at tight end? 

4. Fisch is inexperienced at the NFL level while calling a pretty poor gameplan. 

So tell me why do people expect all pro play with this mess he was put into? 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:2. There are 0 veteran leaders on the offense to turn too.  Who can he take advice from?

3. This team is too young.  There are no reliable targets aside from maybe A Robinson.  Lee is invisible, Hurns shows up some games, Shorts has trouble seeing the field, and who do we have at tight end? 

4. Fisch is inexperienced at the NFL level while calling a pretty poor gameplan. 

So tell me why do people expect all pro play with this mess he was put into? 

There isn't a player on the offense except for Beadles or Shorts (both underwhelming might I add) who have started 16 games in their NFL career.  To say this offense is young or inexperienced is a massive understatement.  They will get better.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014, 09:24 PM by Jax Jag.)

Maybe the coaches were right when they said he'd have to wait a year

Need to involve hurns more, he's the only receiver who can win a contested ball.

This argument is so dumb. If playing on a bad team for 1 year "ruins" Bortles he wouldnt have been good enough anyway.

Its best for him to play now and take his lumps. 2015 will be better because of that. 

It was understood by most that with the decision to go the 'youth' route in rebuilding the team, we would (in the short term) be pretty bad. The 'up side' of this decision is that once the youth get some experience, we'll have very good players who've developed together and will play as a team for a long time. The long term goal is for this franchise to become 'upper tier' for a long time.

It's only the second season of a total rebuild. We have a very raw rookie quarterback who is going through 'growing pains' at present. We don't anticipate many wins this season as a result. We are starting to see some changes though. For example; for the longest time we've not had an effective pass rush....now, we are among the leaders in the league with sacks! Next season, with another good draft and good F/A acquisition, we could be seeing the Jag's get much more competitive in our division. 

Building quality for the long run takes time, work, and not just a little bit of luck.... and patience. Hang in there!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Maybe the coaches were right when they said he'd have to wait a year

I'd rather have BB5 a year into his development in 2015, rather than going through the same growing pains he's experiencing now.

Quote:Maybe the coaches were right...

Wait, wait, wait.  Just hold on there.  I find it impossible to believe that these guys that have worked their way up to the highest level in their sport and are paid hundreds of thousands (or millions) of dollars could possibly have more insight that 70% of a message board. 

:teehee:

Quote:Wait, wait, wait.  Just hold on there.  I find it impossible to believe that these guys that have worked their way up to the highest level in their sport and are paid hundreds of thousands (or millions) of dollars could possibly have more insight that 70% of a message board. 

For the record, I was being facetious. I always down for red shirting him, but okay if he had to step in. My thing was always people crying out that our coaching staff was incompetent for wanting sit, it was crazy how little fan support the decision had. I'm glad he is taking his lumps now though.

Gabbert was put into a worse situation to be honest. He came in the year of the lockout, that was a horrible year to come in as a rookie.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:For the record, I was being facetious. I always down for red shirting him, but okay if he had to step in. My thing was always people crying out that our coaching staff was incompetent for wanting sit, it was crazy how little fan support the decision had. I'm glad he is taking his lumps now though.

I was OK with sitting him, but said all along that Henne would stink so bad we'd see the kid by week 6.

I just find it humorous that many folks refuse to admit that Caldwell/Bradley were obviously onto something when they wanted him to prepare for a while and not start right away.   Only problem was that we didn't have a competent placeholder and the O-line situation was a complete nightmare until about 3 weeks ago. 

There is nothing wrong with playing Bortles in order to get better. Even Manning was over his head as a rookie

The fans calling for his head are an absolute disgrace. In fact you can't really call them fans

I'd just like to point out again.  No coach GM or owner of the Jaguars ever said Bortles would "have" to wait a year.  So tiresome to constantly hear people quote that as fact when it is not one.

Bortles will be fine, I am sure he is punching some holes into the drywall, and yes horrendous situation to throw him into.  I wish the bye was this week, or even better would have been last week, but he gets a week to try and absorb some of his play after this weekend.  Jedd also gets an off week to think over his play calling at that point. 

I believe the Jaguars offense will be a much different team after the bye, and this off season being one of the most important for team development in many many years.

P.S. NYC4jags there are 31 teams in the NFL all with a GM, HC, huge coaching staff, and huge front office staff all who made at least 1 decision that can be questioned. :teehee:

Quote: 

P.S. NYC4jags there are 31 teams in the NFL all with a GM, HC, huge coaching staff, and huge front office staff all who made at least 1 decision that can be questioned. :teehee:
Yes. Obviously. We all sat through Gene Smith drafts, right?  I just find it odd that folks were so overwhelmingly unwilling to understand that a kid who's scouting report had "RAW" written all over it might need to sit for a while. 

Quote:Gabbert was put into a worse situation to be honest. He came in the year of the lockout, that was a horrible year to come in as a rookie.

Meh. It worked out just fine for Cam Newton, Kaepernick, and Dalton.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014, 10:20 PM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:Wait, wait, wait. Just hold on there. I find it impossible to believe that these guys that have worked their way up to the highest level in their sport and are paid hundreds of thousands (or millions) of dollars could possibly have more insight that 70% of a message board.

Gene Smith... I could have done better than him. Fact

Quote:Gene Smith... I could have done better than him. Fact
Yes. See posts 13 & 14. 

Quote:There is nothing wrong with playing Bortles in order to get better. Even Manning was over his head as a rookie

The fans calling for his head are an absolute disgrace. In fact you can't really call them fans

This. Some of our "fans" continue to put this team in a no-win situation when it comes to the court of public opinion. They scream and yell at GB for not starting Bortles out of the gate...only to scream and yell later on about Bortles throwing INTs, knowing damn well that rookies throw INTs.

Plain and simple, some of these people have no patience, honestly believe that a total rebuild only takes a few years, and that everything should always go according to plan. Life should have taught some of these people that nothing ever goes EXACTLY to plan. 

Despite that, the Jaguars ARE showing a good amount of improvement over last year. A handful of plays, as well as experience, is the difference between a 1-8 team and a 4-5 or even a 5-4 team. That wasn't the case last year. If anything, I was amazed they won 4 games, seeing as they only should have won 2 at most. They were no where near having even a mediocre record.

I firmly believe he did not need to sit, its not on the team to protect his career numbers.  Yes, his career numbers would have looked better if he sat a year.  I also believe he will play better next year having played this year.  The Jaguars did not have a better option to win more games this year.

Don't worry about the people saying they should bench/replace Bortles, no one in the Jaguars organization is even considering this.

Quote:I firmly believe he did not need to sit, its not on the team to protect his career numbers.  Yes, his career numbers would have looked better if he sat a year.  I also believe he will play better next year having played this year.  The Jaguars did not have a better option to win more games this year.

Don't worry about the people saying they should bench/replace Bortles, no one in the Jaguars organization is even considering this.

I really, really don't think his numbers were ever even a mild consideration. They thought they could buy him some time to grow in the film room bit, but they didn't have a satisfactory stop-gap. 

I'm glad he's starting, and I think he'll be better for it in the long run as well.