Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Demaryius and Julius Thomas

This is an interesting situation as both players will be free agents at the end of the 2014 season, if the representatives for the respective players can't get a deal done the Broncos can only franchise tag one of the two. I'm assuming if it came down to that they (the Broncos) would choose to use the franchise tag on D. Thomas, which means there's a decent chance Julius is available in the 2015 FA period. The Broncos have a decent chance of losing one of the two dynamic Thomases, the Jaguars would be wise pounce if that's the case.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If the Broncos can't get a deal done with either during the season, one of the two will certainly hit FA.

Here is my guess. D Thomas gets a long term deal. J Thomas gets the tag.

I think they'll somehow find a way to keep both, whether they have to restructure some deals or cut people, they'll find a way.

Maybe they win the Super Bowl and Peyton retires, therefore evening the playing field as far as where the two Thomas' wants to play the following year.

Quote:Here is my guess. D Thomas gets a long term deal. J Thomas gets the tag.

If the long term deal gets done before the season, this is the likely outcome. If they can't get a deal done before seasons end, one of the two has an excellent chance to make it into FA, D. Thomas's agent will probably want a deal that rivals what Calvin Johnson received, if that's the case it will surely slow the process.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2014, 03:51 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Manning has been turning no-namer TE's into household names his entire career. I see J. Thomas taking the money and running and never being heard of again playing for the Raiders.

Neither one will hit the open market. Pipe dreams.

Quote:Neither one will hit the open market. Pipe dreams.

We can always dream.

There was a report a few days ago that the Seahawks tried to trade Harvin for Julius Thomas straight up. If he ever hits the open market I'm sure they will try to sign him as well.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:There was a report a few days ago that the Seahawks tried to trade Harvin for Julius Thomas straight up. If he ever hits the open market I'm sure they will try to sign him as well.

Oh yes, every team that doesn't have a dynamic TE (most dont) will, the Jaguars can afford to make him the highest paid TE in the league without breaking a sweat financially.

Quote:Oh yes, every team that doesn't have a dynamic TE (most dont) will, the Jaguars can afford to make him the highest paid TE in the league without breaking a sweat financially.

He ain't worth that though. Manning has made him appear better than he is.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

They wont have the cap space to sign both

Quote:This is an interesting situation as both players will be free agents at the end of the 2014 season, if the representatives for the respective players can't get a deal done the Broncos can only franchise tag one of the two. I'm assuming if it came down to that they (the Broncos) would choose to use the franchise tag on D. Thomas, which means there's a decent chance Julius is available in the 2015 FA period. The Broncos have a decent chance of losing one of the two dynamic Thomases, the Jaguars would be wise pounce if that's the case.

As we all know from the Alex Mack situation, they can transition tag the other one and match another team's offer. But the only receiver reported as likely to leave the team is Wes Welker.

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/research/...homas-481/

Yeah, I would give Julius that exact deal right now. Unfortunately, the cap is supposed to go up significantly with the new TV deal money kicking in finally. It's very highly likely that the Broncos will find a way to keep them both with the franchise tag and the higher salary cap.  

Quote:We can always dream.

You would be wasting your time if you dream about the Jaguars acquiring a big-name free agent wide receiver. We are rebuilding through the draft and only using free agents as band-aids.

One of them will be a Jag. I guarantee it. I'd welcome either

I would guess they pay one and tag the other. If not.... I say J gets the money and D walks.

If Peyton plays there next year, I don't see either of them going anywhere.  As long as Manning is there they'll pay them both to stick around.  Both are big pieces to their offensive puzzle.

Quote:I would guess they pay one and tag the other. If not.... I say J gets the money and D walks.

Impossible. Tagging one means paying him.